Page 28 of 93 FirstFirst ... 81823242526272829303132333848 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

We are finally getting our own dojo instead of setting up in the local indoor basketball court.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

I was mucking around with Leader Class Sentinel Prime and did some fighting poses.

Now, my knowledge of armed melee fighting is very limited -- but I once trained with a friend of mine who did European Broad Sword and the first thing that the shield absolutely classified as a weapon and is used to make an initial attack, usually to intercept your opponent's weapon. So step 1 is striking out with the shield while the other hand with the sword is already coming around for the successive strike...

Because Sentinel Prime has no waist articulation, I've made him step through to deliver the successive sword strike, which one can definitely do if the first strike was good enough. The lead hand with the shield is now down by the side, it should still be smothering/trapping the opponent's sword, then the other arm swings through with the sword, cutting the trapped opponent.

And just some random pics of kicks -- they look ungainly because Sentinel Prime's so top heavy and has no waist articulation and has fairly poor foot stability, so I had to make do and try to approximate them into these kicks as closely as I could

Side kick:

Crescent kick:

We did alot of leg work last night. Side kicks and front kicks after warming up doing gorrilla walks with pushups. Wow my legs are on fire today... but it's a good hurt.

You want sore legs? Try doing deep-breathing meditation in your stances. There are some instructors who discipline talkative/distractive students by getting them to face a wall and meditate in a deep Riding Horse Stance. They get wobbly legs after that!

Nice shots Gok.
    Riding Stance Meditation, that brings back memories. My legs ache just thinking about it, though if I remember correctly my arms hurt more from holding them out then my legs did

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    You want sore legs? Try doing deep-breathing meditation in your stances. There are some instructors who discipline talkative/distractive students by getting them to face a wall and meditate in a deep Riding Horse Stance. They get wobbly legs after that!
    One our Sensei's discipline techniques is making you take a kabadachi stance but then extending your forearms and balancing a kick pad across them. Thankfully I am a good boy and have never had to do that. They are also quite lenient on the depth of my stance as I suffered that injury to my abductor earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    One our Sensei's discipline techniques is making you take a kabadachi stance but then extending your forearms and balancing a kick pad across them.
    Kibadachi! Now drop and give me 20!

Thankfully I am a good boy and have never had to do that.
    Yeah, but when others are doing it I bet on the inside you're like...

They are also quite lenient on the depth of my stance as I suffered that injury to my abductor earlier in the year.
    That's fairy nuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Kibadachi! Now drop and give me 20!

Yeah, but when others are doing it I bet on the inside you're like...

Yeah I do sometimes. Depending on what student it is

I didn't mispell I hit the wrong key on the keyboard... because the "a" and "i" keys are... so close together

Did some sparring today. The tip of my right pinky is bruised and swollen. FML.

We have a grading next week. So last night they really put us through our paces. 40 pushups, 50 sit ups, 20 squats and 300 forward punches... and that was the warm up. We then worked on reverse punches until my shoulders felt like they were going to drop off. What I do like is that as you advance through your belts, the stricter they get on your technique. The guy I was partnered with was caught using a vertical fist instead of a horizontal fist and had to do 10 knuckle pushups for everytime he punched with a vertical fist. Neeedless to say he only used a vertical fist twice.