Page 48 of 93 FirstFirst ... 283843444546474849505152535868 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    How do you know that? Have you seen my Dojo? From everything I've seen and experienced at my Dojos, it's counter intuitive to teaching self defence. In fact, it's counter intuitive to good teaching because it's based on rote rather than associative engaged and critical pedagogy.

I mean, I personally find Tai Chi to be a good and comprehensive fighting system. But I also know that not all schools teach it that way -- many don't. And quite frankly, unless I've seen a particular school or seen a demonstration from someone from that school, then it's difficult for me to make any judgment about it. I'm not saying that all GKR schools are making dubious claims about teaching self defence, but IMO the GKR schools in my local area have rather questionable practises when it comes to self def. And that's based on my own first hand experience with these schools. I'm not commenting about your GKR school or any other school that I haven't had contact with.
    Fair enough.
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Every Thursday before class there is black belt club for senior students. I am the only one who attends on Thursdays so it's like a private lesson which is cool. Because it was so fricking cold last Thursday after we warmed up Sensei asked if I just wanted to spar for the lesson. I love sparring so I said sure. After a few rounds he decided that he wanted to do the final round bare knuckle. I am so sore but I am a glutton for punishment and I loved it. I have some massive bruises on my arms and my left leg. One thing I noticed, bare knuckle exposes a lot more gaps then when you wear gloves. I caught my sensei with a cracking shot to the ribs at one point. Probably the best shot I have ever hit him with.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Every Thursday before class there is black belt club for senior students. I am the only one who attends on Thursdays so it's like a private lesson which is cool. Because it was so fricking cold last Thursday after we warmed up Sensei asked if I just wanted to spar for the lesson. I love sparring so I said sure. After a few rounds he decided that he wanted to do the final round bare knuckle. I am so sore but I am a glutton for punishment and I loved it. I have some massive bruises on my arms and my left leg. One thing I noticed, bare knuckle exposes a lot more gaps then when you wear gloves. I caught my sensei with a cracking shot to the ribs at one point. Probably the best shot I have ever hit him with.
    nice! how are your hands after this session?
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    nice! how are your hands after this session?
    Yeah fine. I actually hurt my wrist more in the lesson afterwards mis-timing a left hook on some Muay Thai pads.

Yeah fine. I actually hurt my wrist more in the lesson afterwards mis-timing a left hook on some Muay Thai pads.
    I more mean damage to your fists
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    I more mean damage to your fists
    Fists are fine. We do do a lot of punching work so my fists are fine. I've split my knuckles on pads plenty of time so my fists are quite well conditioned.

Fists are fine. We do do a lot of punching work so my fists are fine. I've split my knuckles on pads plenty of time so my fists are quite well conditioned.
    awesome
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

I don't know if you guys have seen or used these, but you can actually get focus pads which have purposely strengthened surfaces which sting and condition your knuckles -- some of them actually have a thin layer of ply wood underneat the padding! My personal focus pads at home are made from this kind of really thick material that delivers a mild sting when you punch them. It's not enough to really hurt or anything, but it does strengthen your knuckles after you get used to them. Of course, you can always use Thai pads too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I don't know if you guys have seen or used these, but you can actually get focus pads which have purposely strengthened surfaces which sting and condition your knuckles -- some of them actually have a thin layer of ply wood underneat the padding! My personal focus pads at home are made from this kind of really thick material that delivers a mild sting when you punch them. It's not enough to really hurt or anything, but it does strengthen your knuckles after you get used to them. Of course, you can always use Thai pads too.
    yup, very common in karate its called a makiwara board.
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Yeah yeah, same concept, but more modern execution. Traditional makiwara are attached to stationary posts, whereas what I'm talking about are modern focus pads/mitts that have toughened striking surfaces that's not as cushiony soft as regular focus pads and they deliver a slight stinging sensation to the knuckles when you punch them. My Chen Tai Chi teacher had a set of focus pads that were leather, and inside was a layer of soft material, but under that was a layer of wood.

I've yet to make contact with _anything_ in my GKR training so far. I don't know if my Senseis even bring focus pads, shields or bags to training (if they do, I've never seen them in use). I asked one of the more senior students if we ever do padwork, and he said rarely.