Page 55 of 93 FirstFirst ... 354550515253545556575859606575 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

I always wanted to be a ninja...

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Ninja were essentially hired assassins and guerrilla fighters, and as such a core art of ninjutsu is stealth. The word Ninjutsu (忍術) itself translates as "the art of stealth." A lot of their fighting forms and weaponry look similar to what the Samurai used... I don't know how many of those forms are actually exclusive or unique to Ninjutsu. I've never come across a school that teaches Samurai/Ninja Taijutsu, but Jujutsu and Aikido are descendant from Taijutsu (that's why the Aikido uniform wears the Hakama at higher levels, and they practice fighting in Seiza sitting position -- Aikido also favours broad sweeping movements, similar to the way you'd swing a sword). Kenjutsu, Bojutsu, Sojutsu, Naginatajutsu etc. are all taught as separate styles.

I think one massive problem you're going to come across if you want to learn Ninjutsu is trying to verify authenticity. Trying to find an authentic school in any martial art can be a challenge, but Ninjutsu might be even more challenging because the art was heavily shrouded in secrecy. There's a historian by the name of Stephen Turnbull who's done a lot of excellent research into feudal Japanese military history (he lived in and travelled extensively around Japan for several years while doing his research). You might like to check out his book "Ninja: The True Story of Japan's Secret Warrior Cult".

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You'll be OK. Just use these people for inspiration and you'll pass with flying colours... brown and white that is
    The very end of that second video gave me a good giggle. That young squeal haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    If you are interested, check out Kevin Hawthorne Ninja Schools in Melbourne. I trained with them in the late 80's / early 90's so they have been around for quite some time. Unfortunately they don't have any schools in Sydney so I had to make the switch to Hapkido which is great in it's own rite.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

If anyone is planning on coming to the Sydney Matsuri on December 15 in Darling Harbour, there's going to be a martial arts demonstration of Takemusu Aiki Aikido. Glad to see the Matsuri returning to Tumbalong Park instead of under that bridge near Starbucks (never liked that location). The best Karate demonstration I've ever seen was at a previous Sydney Matsuri -- visiting Karateka direct from Japan demonstrating some excellent techniques. It was all about "one hit one kill," where they would show how they'd instantly floor an attacker in a single move. Fight finished within a second. Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Ninja were essentially hired assassins and guerrilla fighters, and as such a core art of ninjutsu is stealth. The word Ninjutsu (忍術) itself translates as "the art of stealth." A lot of their fighting forms and weaponry look similar to what the Samurai used... I don't know how many of those forms are actually exclusive or unique to Ninjutsu. I've never come across a school that teaches Samurai/Ninja Taijutsu, but Jujutsu and Aikido are descendant from Taijutsu (that's why the Aikido uniform wears the Hakama at higher levels, and they practice fighting in Seiza sitting position -- Aikido also favours broad sweeping movements, similar to the way you'd swing a sword). Kenjutsu, Bojutsu, Sojutsu, Naginatajutsu etc. are all taught as separate styles.

I think one massive problem you're going to come across if you want to learn Ninjutsu is trying to verify authenticity. Trying to find an authentic school in any martial art can be a challenge, but Ninjutsu might be even more challenging because the art was heavily shrouded in secrecy. There's a historian by the name of Stephen Turnbull who's done a lot of excellent research into feudal Japanese military history (he lived in and travelled extensively around Japan for several years while doing his research). You might like to check out his book "Ninja: The True Story of Japan's Secret Warrior Cult".
    Yeah, I forgot to say: "move like a ninja". I like the element of stealth.

I'm so sick of this grading and I haven't done it yet. there are 8 people going from Ulladulla. 2 cars, one of which is mine. Sensei has organised the car pool so all the other licenced drivers are with him and I have 2 teenagers in my car. One of whom I can't stand. This is for a 10hour round trip plus a grading and he is refusing to budge on swapping people. This sort of thing really irks me. Makes me want to give all this away.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I'm so sick of this grading and I haven't done it yet. there are 8 people going from Ulladulla. 2 cars, one of which is mine. Sensei has organised the car pool so all the other licenced drivers are with him and I have 2 teenagers in my car. One of whom I can't stand. This is for a 10hour round trip plus a grading and he is refusing to budge on swapping people. This sort of thing really irks me. Makes me want to give all this away.
    Pfft... you're not going to give it all away just because of that You're trolling surely
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Belts and gradings = massive WOFTAM.

A couple of months ago I read an online article (about misconceptions/myths in general, not just in martial arts), and the author said something like "(belt/gradings) in martial arts is about as ancient/traditional as automobiles and airplanes." I can't honestly see the benefits of having grades and belts other than as a commercial/business exercise (or as some would say, a marketing gimmick). You know how well you can fight, and it's not as if you need a piece of paper and a coloured cloth belt to tell you how well you can fight. I'm sure we've _all_ met black belts who kick butt and other black belts who fight worse than blue belts. Maybe one day you can open up your own Dojo and just do away with all this grading/belt stuff and get closer to the traditional roots of Karate and just focus on learning for the sake of acquiring/refining skills and knowledge (deep/useful learning) rather than for passing tests (shallow/superficial learning).

This is the great thing I find about learning in martial arts schools that don't bother with grades/belts ... they just get down to the core business of learning the martial art, and not learning for the sake of passing tests. Cos the tests honestly end up being a distraction.

This will probably be one of the last times I grade as I have to achieve this belt in our system before I can become an accreditated instructor and I'm only instructing for the extra money. Seriously even though I am on the verge of becoming a brown belt I feel like a blue belt sometimes. So I totally agree with you Gok.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503