Page 58 of 93 FirstFirst ... 384853545556575859606162636878 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

Could be worse - you could have a heel spur like me and be unable to train at all
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Spewin'.

Gah... after school class is scheduled to clash with my Tai Chi lessons again... so another 3 terms of no training. *sigh*
    I'm sure you could find an alternative
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    I'm sure you could find an alternative
    Guhh... after my recent experiences I've really become uninspired to keep looking. I cannot find a single decent martial arts school in my area. The Tai Chi school I go to isn't great, just the "least crappiest" - i.e. they don't do any actual self defence training or teach any apps, but at least their form-work is decent, and they don't waste my time doing counter-intuitive competition fight training cos they don't do any fight training! (so it's a blessing and a curse at the same time!)

My experience last year has put a foul taste in my mouth and seriously put me off from looking. It's made me even more wary than before now (cos the school turned out to be completely like what the sales rep assured me that they would NOT be (i.e. textbook McDojos) There's a BJJ school near me that I'm considering... currently still penny pinching for Encore Fort Max, so maybe I've already saved up my money for that ... hopefully I'll be more enthusiastic by then.

SBS 2 just started showing Jet Li's Fearless. While period martial arts movies (or any other kind of historical movies) are interesting to watch, I think it's also important to try and be mindful of facts vs fiction... a lot of the events in Huo's life have been greatly exaggerated (and in many places just plain invented). Here's a review of the film from a historical POV.

SBS 2 just started showing Jet Li's Fearless. While period martial arts movies (or any other kind of historical movies) are interesting to watch, I think it's also important to try and be mindful of facts vs fiction... a lot of the events in Huo's life have been greatly exaggerated (and in many places just plain invented). Here's a review of the film from a historical POV.
    Facts, smacts lol its a good film
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

The IOC is considering dropping Wrestling from the 2020 Games.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

IMO this would be sad news indeed if it happened as I consider Wrestling to the one Olympic Sport that is the closest to practical fighting/self defence. Wrestling was first introduced into the Olympics 2721 years ago in 708BCE!! (although it wasn't until the late 17th/early 18th Century that modern Wrestling came about, introducing restrictive rules to make it more sportslike (e.g. no punching, kicking, elbowing, kneeing, headbutting or any kind of striking, no holds below the waist etc.) I've sparred against Judo, Taekwondo, Fencing and Wrestling, and I've personally found Wrestlers to be the most formidable opponents.

If anyone is interested http://t.co/BFf0YbvA
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

What stance are you supposed to be standing in? (should your back heel be peeling off like that?) And what's with the bouncing (especially toward the end)? I've only ever seen competition fighters "bounce" -- I've never seen any form of bouncing in any kind of traditional form, kata etc.

As far as I can tell, bouncing is only something that came from sport fighters who take advantage of the springier surfaces of boxing rings and other such similar surfaces used for comp fighting (as opposed to fighting on Terra firma). Some traditional forms do employ springing, but that's entirely different from bouncing as it's more to do with plyometrics -- that explosive footwork that allows you to be strong and solid in your stance, but also fast and nimble. Here's a video of a nunchaku kata -- this guy's legwork appears to be nimble but solid, there's a spring or skip in his step, but no actual bouncing.

IMO this would be sad news indeed if it happened as I consider Wrestling to the one Olympic Sport that is the closest to practical fighting/self defence. Wrestling was first introduced into the Olympics 2721 years ago in 708BCE!! (although it wasn't until the late 17th/early 18th Century that modern Wrestling came about, introducing restrictive rules to make it more sportslike (e.g. no punching, kicking, elbowing, kneeing, headbutting or any kind of striking, no holds below the waist etc.) I've sparred against Judo, Taekwondo, Fencing and Wrestling, and I've personally found Wrestlers to be the most formidable opponents.
    You could always go for the Drug Olympics.
    Who can run the 100m faster in 5 or 6 seconds and spontaneously combust the best?
    Who can throw the javelin the furthest... outside the stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    If anyone is interested http://t.co/BFf0YbvA
    That looks awesome dude. Well done.

What stance are you supposed to be standing in? (should your back heel be peeling off like that?) And what's with the bouncing (especially toward the end)? I've only ever seen competition fighters "bounce" -- I've never seen any form of bouncing in any kind of traditional form, kata etc.

As far as I can tell, bouncing is only something that came from sport fighters who take advantage of the springier surfaces of boxing rings and other such similar surfaces used for comp fighting (as opposed to fighting on Terra firma). Some traditional forms do employ springing, but that's entirely different from bouncing as it's more to do with plyometrics -- that explosive footwork that allows you to be strong and solid in your stance, but also fast and nimble. Here's a video of a nunchaku kata -- this guy's legwork appears to be nimble but solid, there's a spring or skip in his step, but no actual bouncing.
    Thats a bit overly critical Gok. Read the description of the thread. It was a bit of fun after class after 30 minutes total practice time. From what I've seen of KalEl and his martial arts ability if he wanted to perform a proper weapons kata I'm sure he wouldn't have any problems.

It was either wrestling or modern pentathlon. Considering one of the board of the directors for the International Modern Pentathlon Federation is Juan Antonio Sammarch Jnr wrestling never stood a chance

I'm a bit peeved after last night. We are hosting an all styles tournament coming up next month and are putting in alot of effort to make sure we have a strong team competing. So last night we spent alot of time working on kata as it is one area open to compete in. While I was helping alot of younger ranks learn their steps I noticed the teenagers who were in the next class (Muay Thai) were copying us in a mocking fashion. I waited until after class and complained to Sensei. He explained to me that alot of people have the philosophy of "no belt, no respect" and think that all the bowing and traditional aspects are saved for karate and these teenage "cool" gym junkies just want to rock up and show how tough they are belting pads. He said it is something that has bothered him too so with my assistance in the classes we are setting out to abolish the "no belt, no respect" by enforcing respect as the core belief in all classes we teach, karate, Muay Thai and MMA.

So I was a little bit peeved but whipping these teenagers into line should prove to be a fun challenge. I've had a couple in the past who have thought they were tough and I couldn't break them. I've even had one say that to me (he didn't finish the class). As much as I believe in the evolution of martial arts I also believe that the traditional values shouldn't be compromised.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503