Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So it's more than you aren't used that style of fitness training. Fair enough mate.

We both agree though, correct breathing is key to all.
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    So it's more than you aren't used that style of fitness training. Fair enough mate.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Another thing I didn't mention is that the hall is really clean -- I trained barefoot, and for the first time ever it didn't freak me out! It's even cleaner than Dojo floors in Japan - which still get grotty despite the fact that they make all the students get down and run up and down to clean the floor with rags. Ever seen that scene in Spirited Away where Chihiro and others are scrubbing the floors by hand? That's exactly how students have to clean the Dojo at the end of each lesson in Japan. I dunno who cleans the hall at this Goju Dojo, but they do a damn fine job. Possibly also because the class is in the morning, so we're the first group of people to use it and it hasn't been dirtied by other people throughout the day. <shrug>

Finally saw "Penn & Teller B.S" martial arts episode last night. My wife found it really interesting. Especially the physics behind board breaking and now understands when my Sensei wants to put on a public demonstration involving that sort of thing why I refuse to assist.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Finally saw "Penn & Teller B.S" martial arts episode last night. My wife found it really interesting. Especially the physics behind board breaking and now understands when my Sensei wants to put on a public demonstration involving that sort of thing why I refuse to assist.
    ^

Aah yes... the long list of martial arts parlour tricks designed to dupe the ignorant and gullible.
    Shaolin Monk tricks explained <---it's not ancient mysticism, it's physics! *sigh*

I actually wouldn't mind learning board and slab breaking, purely so I could use it to teach principles of science. I would never do it in a martial arts demonstration though! And if anything, half the reason I'd want to show it to students is so that they don't get duped by these tricks if they encounter them!

Check this video out... (contains violence, parental discretion advised)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3SXtwzp0TA

Now that is a proper attack! Note that the attacker (shirtless) actually practises "one hit one kill" -- he strikes the defender (white shirt) with a single punch which knocks him down, then he wastes little time in just burying into the defender while he's down, continually and relentlessly attacking him while he's down instead of giving him the chance to stand up. Okay sure, in a competition this is illegal and this guy was probably disqualified -- but looking at it from an actual fighting POV, he's actually done pretty damn well*!

-------------------------------------------
    *I am by no means condoning this sort of violence, but I think it's important to be able to understand and analyse these kind of vicious attacks in order to be better prepared to defend against them.

Heh, today I was practising some Bagua Circle Walking (mine's very simple, no where near as sophisticated as the dude in that video link)... then I realised that it was Pi Day in mm/dd countries (e.g. USA, Canada, Japan etc., cos March 14 = 3.14 = Pi)! *nerdy.snort.laff* It wasn't my intention, but yeah, it dawned on me while I was practising. Bazinga! I'll need to do something circular too for the Australian (dd/mm) Pi Day.

Bagua applications

These "novelty" holidays are so lame IMO Just excuses for people to try and feel clever.

Anyway last night in MMA I learnt something new. We were practicing rear chokes. Single choke, rear naked etc etc. Then my Sensei used me for a demonstration. He got me in the rear naked choke position but instead of squeezing his arms around my esophagus to choke he just took a deep breath in. I couldn't believe the crushing pain I felt. I was really amazed.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503