Page 36 of 76 FirstFirst ... 162631323334353637383940414656 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozmasters, The MOTU General Discussion Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    Enormous six page rant cancelled for brevity.

I thought Scott's response was actually funny, but then I've always enjoyed watching the outraged rabble scream and claw at each other.

I'll stick with MOTUC until it's dying breath. It's still the best collector toy line out there and not much comes close to it. I'm just ignoring the extraneous crap such as Mattel politics and production errors. Just keep giving me neat toys please.
    I am a MOTU fan but I have to completely disagree. When you look at the line objectively, it is not that great. There are much, MUCH better collector lines out there and at comparative cheaper prices like the NECA stuff.

MOTUC was 'good' (not great) when it first started and it is now mediocre at best and that's just on the action figures themselves, not including the politics (which is actually what's causing the figures to be crap, painted over black plastic and all).
    Last edited by kup; 11th September 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I quite like Catra's face. It harkens back to the female face style of 80s cartoons imo. Her and She-Ra are the only ones I've seen in person though.
    But that's my point they all look retro to me, they all have those harder edged faces and heavy make up look that just screams 80's to me. No that this is an issue, as it is supposed to be a retro line.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I am a MOTU fan but I have to completely disagree. When you look at the line objectively, it is not that great. There are much, MUCH better collector lines out there and at comparative cheaper prices like the NECA stuff.
    NECA definitely, not to mention Pallisades, I would rate the toys I have from those companies as better bang for my buck than my MOTUC figures. Even the old Toybiz Marvel line from a few years back, though I suppose production costs have risen since then.
    Last edited by Lord_Zed; 11th September 2012 at 07:43 PM.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

I really, really love the MOTUC figures (sculpt/design wise) but QC and production errors make it hard to say convincingly that the line is outstanding. It definitely used to be much better, but I feel Mattel have gotten lazy and sloppy with their execution of these great figures.

Generally I really like NECA figures too. Some have issues, but mostly they're great. It's funny, I look at the recent TMNT Classics and I think they're better than MOTUC classics (still, the latter's been running much longer). What I love most, however, is that Playmates gave us the 4 Turtles straight up. Mattel would never have done that - they would space out the line as long as possible with fillers, and then cancel it incomplete. That's why Ghostbusters failed! And it's why MOTUC is dropping off. Mattel gives an A-lister here, a C-lister there, followed by a Concept character, and so on... Playmates got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post

I don't find Frosta manly as such. I personally think she looks high as kite on some sort of Etherian Party drug.
    hahah

The thing is, they're capable of making a good face sculpt for a female figure that matches their toon character - Bubble She-ra, Catra... but this, ugh. She needs to have a softer face.

So far there's been almost "great Rebellion character, mostly Horde figures ( which I don't mind), but cmoooon that's just not up to scratch... where's Glimmer, Queen Angela, heck even Madame Razz , hope they don't mess the faces of these characters too.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    but cmoooon that's just not up to scratch... where's Glimmer, Queen Angela, heck even Madame Razz , hope they don't mess the faces of these characters too.
    You have no idea how many times and for how long people have asked this to Scott.

Now I honestly don't even want to see those characters since Scott seems to foul up any figure he doesn't care about. It is almost as if he does it on purpose since it takes up a slot for one of the characters he may personally want.

Scott's latest round (or 2) of answers have left many utterly speechless. His behaviour is even more unprofessional than normal!

I just feel like Scott's either quit, or has been told his days as Brand Manager of MOTUC are coming to an end. Perhaps the whole line is going to end soon (how does that make Subscribers, who bought in to 2013 because of the 2014 promises, feel?). Dunno - seems just seem a little weird right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzy View Post
    Scott's latest round (or 2) of answers have left many utterly speechless. His behaviour is even more unprofessional than normal!

I just feel like Scott's either quit, or has been told his days as Brand Manager of MOTUC are coming to an end. Perhaps the whole line is going to end soon (how does that make Subscribers, who bought in to 2013 because of the 2014 promises, feel?). Dunno - seems just seem a little weird right now.
    You can read it between the lines, he doesn't have much of a 'poker face' when it comes to keeping emotion out of his postings. Mattel management has probably killed the line and since it was Scott's 'purpose for living' he is trying to hold it all in. After all, he is ego driven and revels at the whole 'Celebrity' status the line has given him with the MOTU fandom. Once MOTUC is gone, he will just be 'plain and simple' Scott.

Expect the formal announcement some time soon.

You can read it between the lines, he doesn't have much of a 'poker face' when it comes to keeping emotion out of his postings. Mattel management has probably killed the line and since it was Scott's 'purpose for living' he is trying to hold it all in. After all, he is ego driven and revels at the whole 'Celebrity' status the line has given him with the MOTU fandom. Once MOTUC is gone, he will just be 'plain and simple' Scott.

If what you say is true, to many he will always be "that guy" who ruined MOTUC too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    If what you say is true, to many he will always be "that guy" who ruined MOTUC too!
    I think you're both right!

As I wrote above, this is the feeling I'm getting after reading his recent posts. He's certainly taken it to a whole new level. His behaviour (for a paid professional) is astounding. So, the obvious conclusion to be drawn, is that things don't look good for the future of MOTUC, or Scott, or possibly both!

Scott's certainly distancing himself...

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    I pass comments to Ruben all the time and while he doesn't post he reads a lot of the threads. But in the end, MOTUC are his toys to design and it is not my job to tell him how to do his job. I do pass along suggestions online, but I can't force him to do anything. That just isn't how Mattel works.

Let me see if I can explain this one a little better.

Think of MOTUC as a movie. If that were so, I would be the producer, Ruben is the director and the Horsemen are the actors.

It is Ruben's job (as dictated by management and Mattel structure) to translate the Horsemen's sculpts into articulated manufactured product (i.e. action figures).

Many times factors be it costs, artistic desire or even accident can affect things Ruben (or whomever is in the design seat)does. Sometimes fans have really liked these things (like when Terry darkened Shadow Weaver's robe), other times not as much (like when Ruben moved around Stinkor's glove).

But the bottom line is that it is Ruben's JOB to do these things. Much as a Director owns the artistic vision for a film. The actor (sculptor) can suggest things or provide a good starting point, but it is ultimately the director (designer) who creates the figure.

We do work as a team on MOTUC and lots of folks from across the group have contributed over the years I even got to suggest two accessories that were created, Panthor's helmet and King He-Man's sword, and I remember TC our previous engineer came up with the Orb of Grayskull concept).So we all chip in a bit.

I hope this clarifies. If you are expecting the Horsemen sculpts to be 100% the toy, I honestly just suggest managing your expectations. The Horsemen are great sculptors, but in the end it is Ruben's (or whomever is the lead designer's) toy.
    Pretty cool, huh? Told you Scott wasn't to blame... it's all Ruben's fault!!

Seriously... pass the buck much? He's the Brand Manager right? It's a big picture of him on Mattycollector right? Not Ruben, right? He writes the "MOTUC Director's Commentary" right? But now Ruben's the "director" and in charge of all design decisions? Scott is powerless to stop Ruben swapping Stinkor's forearms?

This is the same guy who recently asked "Do I get any credit?"??!! Give me a break!

If we had more fans like you, the line would have no end in sight!
    I read this and immediately picked up 2 things: 1, Scott only wants customers/fans who praise and thank him (for what?? - apparently he has no power whatsoever, according to his above statements), and 2, the line clearly has an "end in sight".

But, alas, this is the best one of all... In response to DR's latest screw up (they released several figures, like the Snake Men 2-pack, on sale early and many people bought them) he wrote...

Yes. This was an error and all sales will be canceled and refunded.
    Only problem is, there are several people noting they've received an email from DR/Matty saying their item (the 2-pack) has been shipped So, how does that work? Maybe Scott's telling the truth, and he really does have no idea what's going on and no power to stop it. Fingers crossed there's any Snake Men left for the REAL sale day next week not to mention for the Subscribers (reminds me of the Fisto debacle).