Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making a claim through Paypal

Default Making a claim through Paypal

Just wanting some advice - I purchased a couple of items from Canada through eBay which I paid for on the 6th of Feb which haven't arrived as yet. I have since bought several other items from the US which have all arrived; some were even bought two weeks after the above purchase.

The transaction got off on the wrong foot from the start with the seller not sticking to communication timeframes which he set and telling me that one item was damaged and not as described which we have mutually agreed on a replacement.

I contacted him yesterday to inform him that my items had not yet arrived and that the tracking number provided shows that it wasn't even sent by Canada Post, only that tracking information was received by them.

His reply was "Ground shipping takes up to 8 weeks or more sometimes. It will arrive eventually. Canada post tracking is atrocious", which to me doesn't help at all. I have this feeling in my gut that because things started off badly that he never even posted the items.

I've since gone into Paypal to log a dispute and hopefully get my money back however I've never done this before. It asks me to provide additional information about the transaction which appears to then send an email to the seller. I don't see the point as I've taken it as far as possible with the seller and now just want my money refunded as I have Paypal protection.

Is there a way I can skip this step and just lodge a claim through Paypal? I realise too that I've only got 40 calendar days to resolve this so waiting 8 weeks like the seller stated is not an option.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Hey bud

You can immediately escalate the dispute to a claim. Open the dispute and find the option (I think it's on the bottom somewhere). Paypal will ask a reason for escalating and once you submit, the whole process should take a couple of weeks to be decided.

I've probably had about 5 parcels in total sent to me from Canada via airmail over the years and they never took longer than 2-3 weeks to arrive. From the info you have provided however, it looks like it was sent via sea mail. This could take up to 3 months.

The tracking is probably just a customs number as well - which only indicates that Canada Post received notification that it was shipped. There won't be any other updates I wouldn't think.

IMO it sounds like he has sent it, but it won't hit our shores for a long time. What's his ebay feedback like?

Thanks for the input Whoopy

His got a positive feedback of 100% and a feedback score of 60. There was a bunch of items he was selling at the same time as mine and everyone else has received theirs. There appears to be only one other international buyer though and his comments were "After 4 weeks, the item finally arrived. Otherwise very good!"

So you think I should wait a little longer?
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Well considering you purchased through ebay and paid via paypal - getting your money back in the event of a mishap shouldn't be a problem whatsoever.

I strongly suggest waiting another couple of weeks, since he shipped via sea mail. Whatever you do though, do not withdraw/cancel the dispute. Once you cancel it - that's it. You can't open up another.

So maybe just leave it at the dispute level and escalate to a claim when you have no patience left or when that 40 day calendar dispute expiry date draws near. Whichever comes first (that's if it doesn't arrive hehe)

In future, I reckon it's best to just stick with airmail if you ever decide to go Canadian and buy stuff from there. Only lightweight items though, as anything 1kg or more is probably going to set you back $50-$60. Canada post is a real wallet basher

Anyway let us know how you go

Thanks buddy, that was very helpful.

I'll take your advice and wait a bit longer. By my calculation I have until March 23rd to lodge a dispute (I discovered it's actually 45 days from the date of payment) so there is still time.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Decepticon Guest

I purchases an item off ebay on the 25th Jan and it only arrived on the 29th Feb so i would say just wait a little longer. Thats my advice.

Canada post is indeed atrocious, especially ground post. Dunno what they do there but it feels like someone walks from one end of Canada to the other end just to ship a parcel - on foot.. As everyone said, wait a bit more but don't let it reach beyond the 45 waiting period coz otherwise you wont get your money back.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Canada post is indeed atrocious, especially ground post. Dunno what they do there but it feels like someone walks from one end of Canada to the other end just to ship a parcel - on foot..
    That's funny cause I had a similar mental image or something like a Canadian mountie on a pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    I purchases an item off ebay on the 25th Jan and it only arrived on the 29th Feb so i would say just wait a little longer. Thats my advice.
    As everyone said, wait a bit more but don't let it reach beyond the 45 waiting period coz otherwise you wont get your money back.
    Hmmm... I'm seeing a theme here but I just can't quite put my finger on it...

Thanks guys
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Canada post is indeed atrocious, especially ground post. Dunno what they do there but it feels like someone walks from one end of Canada to the other end just to ship a parcel - on foot.. As everyone said, wait a bit more but don't let it reach beyond the 45 waiting period coz otherwise you wont get your money back.
    I tend to agree. Our Postal system is horrid. They take forever to do anything. Forget about filling a report if they damage something. They take forever to do anything. Was this package coming from Quebec?
    Wait a little longer but do not pass the 45 day mark as stated. Escalate the claim on the 44th day at the latest. Otherwise youll be out $$.
    Yes I hate our postal service.

Yep, one of the reasons I stopped dealing with anyone in Canada.
    So slow, so expensive!