View Poll Results: I'm a Transformers fan because of

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • mostly the toys

16 35.56%
  • mostly the story (comics or cartoon)

6 13.33%
  • the toys and the story evenly (more or less)

21 46.67%
  • I prefer the Machine Men

2 4.44%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you a Transformers fan?

I love the toys, however story and characters are not any less important. They can't really be mutually exclusive. For example, there were heaps of well designed and engineered toys in Transformers Energon and Cybertron, but I refused to buy any of them because I didn't like the story/characters. On the other hand, I like the War Within comics so much, I could tolerate the Titanium Optimus Prime toy with all his flaws.

Another example is the Binaltech series. There wasn't really any cartoon or comic behind it. However, I saw the Binaltechs as re-incarnations of the G1 characters I loved. If Takara released toys of the same quality but as completely different characters with different backgrounds, I don't think I would have bought so many.

An interesting question is: If someone likes Transformers for the toys only, does it make him less a "Transformers fan" than others? On the other hand, if someone likes the Transformers story, the characters, the universe and mytho but has no toy whatsoever, does it also make him less a fan? I reckon being a fan is about enjoying what you like, in your very own way.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

I luv the figures & various series equally!

Hell, Has there been any other 24-year long continuous animated/comic series that exists to primarily advertise a toy line?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    An interesting question is: If someone likes Transformers for the toys only, does it make him less a "Transformers fan" than others? On the other hand, if someone likes the Transformers story, the characters, the universe and mytho but has no toy whatsoever, does it also make him less a fan? I reckon being a fan is about enjoying what you like, in your very own way.
    I think it's unlikely there'd be anybody that would say they like toys or stories to the complete exclusion of the other. I don't think you have to be even actively buying, collecting, reading, watching to be a Transformers fan. I am curious though what got people into it and what keeps people going.

The responses coming through are what I pretty much what I expected, although I thought there'd be a bit more sway to mostly toys as a lot of converstation on the board is focussed on the toy collections, much more so than comic or dvd or merchandise collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    Hell, Has there been any other 24-year long continuous animated/comic series that exists to primarily advertise a toy line?
    The TF animated and comic series haven't really been continuous. Big gaps between G1 and G2 and Beast wars cartoons. Smaller gap between G1 and G2 comics and then big gap before the Dreamwave stuff. The toyline itself also has that little gap between G1 and G2 (not it wasn't as noticeable in the Australian)

In general though the only thing that comes close IMHO is the Star Wars toys but I think they even stopped selling SW toys for a while before the Special Edition movie rereleases.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I think it's unlikely there'd be anybody that would say they like toys or stories to the complete exclusion of the other.
    I think I'm purely toys. I do keep up with watching Animated, but it's still due to toy interest (e.g what new characters might eventuate into toys). When I was a kid, maybe it was different. I dig the movies, both then and now.

Perhaps "purely" or "exclusion" are strong words. I'd put myself at 95% toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I think it's unlikely there'd be anybody that would say they like toys or stories to the complete exclusion of the other. I don't think you have to be even actively buying, collecting, reading, watching to be a Transformers fan. I am curious though what got people into it and what keeps people going.
    If someone has a good collection of toys then it's very hard to ignore the characters and their stories. If someone is so into the story, characters and the mythos then it's hard not to have any toy either.

The responses coming through are what I pretty much what I expected, although I thought there'd be a bit more sway to mostly toys as a lot of converstation on the board is focussed on the toy collections, much more so than comic or dvd or merchandise collections.
    This is similar on the HK forum as well. Maybe people prefer to review a toy than to review an episode of cartoon or an issue of comic? But then we also have review threads of Animated episodes here.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Perhaps "purely" or "exclusion" are strong words. I'd put myself at 95% toys.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle;
    If someone has a good collection of toys then it's very hard to ignore the characters and their stories. If someone is so into the story, characters and the mythos then it's hard not to have any toy either.
    Agree, that's why I used "mostly" in the poll options. The Animated episode discussions are kind of the odd ones out when a lot of other discussions are toy related. Maybe that's because it's so new/different people want to talk about them.

I'm not actually sure. The fiction is nice, but the toys are also quite nice.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

I love the Transformers mainly because of the G1 characters (Cartoon and comics).

But, as an aside, I just LOVE "transforming" toys (ie, not just the Transformers brand)! I think they are the best action figure/toy ever created!!!

Toys. The rest is details.

Who the slag voted for Machine Men?!?!?

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister