Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer/Printing thread

Impossible to find replacement parts for those no longer in production items perhaps?

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

or a little targetmaster weapon of your own. a cassette that turns into a parrot

i wanted a short neck for g,f,b, maximus.. help him see a bit more

still saving for it...sigh

I've done some 3D printing too. It's still kinda expensive.

Beware of the 'enthusiast' printers too, they are rather rubbish. Yes Makerbot, I'm looking at you...

I'm currently trying to assemble a 3D scanner. Unfortunately I'm basically pretty stupid, so it's taking a while... Otherwise I could probably just buy a NextEngine for about $4K + shipping + import tax... screw it, I'll do it myself...
    Which brings us to where we are today...

the PP3DP "UP!" 3D printer is considered to be by far the best quality hobbyist 3D printer on the market. The price recently dropped from nearly $3k to only $1500. this is the one that I am saving for. gives a good finish and 0.2mm layer resolution.

As far as scanners go, an xbox conect and some software off the net 'reconstruvtme' may be the way to go

What type of accessories for your transformers would you made for your transformers?

Maybe a weapons/engines for your new data disks?

What would you make?

Continued from the Vent thread:

Quote Originally Posted by morg176 View Post
    3d printing systems held the promotion that i missed out on. I have contacted them and although they were apologetic that i missed out ireally dont think they cared much. The promotion was an american 'black friday' style sale. 100's of people interested, only a couple [less than 10] units up for grabs.
    Why you would go out of your way to aggravate, infuriate and alienate you potential customer base, defies logic...

that being said, The UP plus printer [available from 3d printing systems au/nz] is probably the best hobbyist 3D printer on the market, but it is still just a little expensive. The up plus has a metal chassis, and is very sturdy. The up mini has a smaller build envelope

And yes you could design a weapon/sword/mace in sketchup, and then convert that into an STL file, send that to the printer and [these machines are slow!] it will build it for you. Awesome yes.

I have been closely following this technology since early 2005.
    So when it says it can print "Layer resolution of 200 microns." what is a 'layer'?

I get most of the models I get printed are through Moddler.com who have a resolution of:

Quote Originally Posted by Moddler FAQ
    In the X and Y axes, we can print at a resolution of 600 dpi or 42 microns. In the Z axis, we can print in a mind-bogglingly small 1600 dpi or 16 microns. (A micron is 1/1000th of a millimeter.) That's about 20% as thick as a human hair!
    So I remain somewhat dubious of the quality as I'm told that even the best 3D printers can't actually print detail less than 0.2mm. And even then you will need finishing skills to refine the model.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

As I said before, we should really start an initiative with hasbro, if we can get enough support. There are lots of possibilities. Heads, weapons, spare parts, etc.
    Really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post

So when it says it can print "Layer resolution of 200 microns." what is a 'layer'?

I get most of the models I get printed are through Moddler.com who have a resolution of:

So I remain somewhat dubious of the quality as I'm told that even the best 3D printers can't actually print detail less than 0.2mm. And even then you will need finishing skills to refine the model.
    The model you send to the 3d printer is printed one layer on top of another. Each layer can be as thin as 200 microns. but of course it is not as simple as that. Would you be able to post a link of a picture of the stuff you get printed? perhaps with a close up?

As for models from hastak, start up sketchup and try to design your own!