Page 257 of 481 FirstFirst ... 237247252253254255256257258259260261262267277 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 4804

Thread: I need to vent!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The technology's been around for a while. Mainframe Entertainment used 3D scanning of the Beast Wars toys when creating the cartoon models, and some other toy companies have long done 3D scans of celebrities to create toys (e.g. WWE). But yeah, now more recently it's become available commercially for private home use.

I was listening to a story about this on Triple J last week -- one thing they discussed was rather the possibility of supplying replacement parts to customers by selling the design for 3D printing. You purchase the download of that part, then 3D print it yourself. This could make 3rd party stuff a lot cheaper -- rather than paying say for some custom 3rd party head for a Transformer toy, you pay a fraction of that price to download the design then just 3D print it yourself at home.

HasTak could also take advantage of this too -- they could provide special accessories that would only appeal a limited market like collectors. And they could also service customers looking for replacement parts. Imagine if they reissued accessories available for download.
    It would cost money, right?
    That would be a good idea, but probably might backfire and create a huge black market for designs.
    Are you able to share things you have downloaded? There would need to be a lot of enforcing to do. Wouldn't you also need a large amount of plastic though, or are we just talking new printing.($$$)
    I could see this work with lego, selling blank minifigure parts for collectors to make what they choose.
    And finally, is this basically a mold-making machine? Because the TJ guys might be onto something there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    It would cost money, right?
    Sure, but it'd be a lot cheaper than some of the prices they charge of third party accessories. For example, imagine if HasTak started up an online store with all kinds of weapons, missiles, etc. that you could download and 3D print yourself! Need a fist for that G1 Sunstreaker? Download it! At a more sophisticated level, HasTak could potentially finally get into making accessories for collectors that isn't possible by conventional means, like being able to download/print an alternative head for TF Prime Optimus Prime without the faceplate, or TF Prime's faceplateless head etc.

That would be a good idea, but probably might backfire and create a huge black market for designs.
    Are you able to share things you have downloaded? There would need to be a lot of enforcing to do.
    A similar argument could be made for the music/video market. If people want to obtain things illegally, they'll find a way. Transformers already suffers from intellectual property piracy issues with KOs and third party products, but I see what you mean by making it 'easier' for people to obtain them illegally through file sharing.

But I suppose Hasbro would need to do the right thing by the consumer and trust them, and consumers need to do the right thing by Hasbro and not share the downloaded files. If it can work for music and videos, then maybe it can work for toy accessories.

Wouldn't you also need a large amount of plastic though, or are we just talking new printing.($$$)
    Well, I was thinking about printing accessories like guns, missiles, heads etc., not entire action figures. Possibly miniature figurines like all the humans from Transformers -- similar to the ones in Transformers Prime (they're just little PVC statuettes). Then we can have little figurines of Spike, Sparkplug, Buster, Carly, Jessie, Chip Chase, human Sari, Technorganic Sari etc etc etc.

Yes, that really sounds like a good idea. I for one would love some accesories. Is there some already out there?
    So we're talking 3 dimensional digital files that are accessed by the machine and molded? Don't you need steel/rubber mold thingys or something?
    I say that if we can get some support, we could start this as some sort of long-term initiative from hasbro.
    I don't plan on getting a 3d printer anytime soon, but doing something for those who do have one would be good. (not trying to pick on you, dude who missed out on $1000 off)
    The end is a new beginning.

I honestly don't know all that much about how the technology works, but I was listening to the radio last week where someone was talking about how car manufacturers could send out certain engine parts (like a gasket) for customers to download and print. So if this is possible, then surely toy parts/accessories would be too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I honestly don't know all that much about how the technology works, but I was listening to the radio last week where someone was talking about how car manufacturers could send out certain engine parts (like a gasket) for customers to download and print. So if this is possible, then surely toy parts/accessories would be too.
    This is a good little video that shows gives you a good idea of how it works.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

How about this bad boy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWWt...eature=related
    Seems pretty good. Though expensive.
    I really think we should see Hasbro about this.
    If you go to 4 mins, I'm pretty sure this is what you mean Gok, with weapons and parts etc.
    You could also get this one:
    http://store.3dprintingsystems.com/i...product_id=101
    Looks better than a regular one.

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

How about this bad boy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWWt...eature=related
    Seems pretty good. Though expensive.
    I really think we should see Hasbro about this.
    If you go to 4 mins, I'm pretty sure this is what you mean Gok, with weapons and parts etc.
    You could also get this one:
    http://store.3dprintingsystems.com/i...product_id=101
    Looks better than a regular one.
    3d printing systems held the promotion that i missed out on. I have contacted them and although they were apologetic that i missed out ireally dont think they cared much. The promotion was an american 'black friday' style sale. 100's of people interested, only a couple [less than 10] units up for grabs.
    Why you would go out of your way to aggravate, infuriate and alienate you potential customer base, defies logic...

that being said, The UP plus printer [available from 3d printing systems au/nz] is probably the best hobbyist 3D printer on the market, but it is still just a little expensive. The up plus has a metal chassis, and is very sturdy. The up mini has a smaller build envelope

And yes you could design a weapon/sword/mace in sketchup, and then convert that into an STL file, send that to the printer and [these machines are slow!] it will build it for you. Awesome yes.

I have been closely following this technology since early 2005.

The 3D Printing topic should now be continued in the 3D Printer/Printing thread.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Undefeated all season, beat the team we played in the GF in the semi and final round for solid victories. They call in a ringer for the GF, the manager of the comp lets it go (He's a national level player) and he scores the winner. Gutted and peeved.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

For the 4th year in a row i will be spending xmas and new year at work...