Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer/Printing thread

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Has anyone printed or designed any cool tf stuff lately?
    I'm thinking of maybe designing a pretender shell template for small tf with an inert storage mode,
    Cassettes and such

I design TF stuff all the time.
    Some designs take longer then others to reach final print ready status, depending on the complexity of the design I am creating.

In the Pretender theme, this is one of my recent creations:

Bumblebee's Pretender Rifle reforged for his Earthrise toy.
    Also considering making his Pretender Cannon at some point.
    Unfortunately, because Hasbro did not include a vehicle mode socket, he can only use this weapon in mechanoid mode.
    I could probably fix that by creating a socket adaptor.

Out of curiosity, I was thinking about designing a Pretender shell for Bumblebee, just to see if I could wrap one around his new toy.

I've had my Up Box for a number of years now.i mostly print props from movies, gifts for people and items for my brother's 40k army such as movement trays. My current project is the white whale from Mastodon's album Leviathan. I muck around with tinkercad and netfabb a bit, but don't have much experience with other software.
    ~

So here I go into the world of resin 3d printing. I've dialled in almost perfect settings and started some test prints. I'd say it was a success with 1 failure and 1 user error with inverted faces on a model. Those 4 little squares are the base of footpegs that broke off and the other half of chain disappeared completely.

Looks good! Will you try printing the bike boots?
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Yeah it would be a good comparison to earlier prints. One thing though it really is a messy business cleaning the stuff.

Here are some of my recentish prints.
    Spinal cord tealight holder:

Baby Yoda

Sakai Clan mask from Ghost of Tsushima

Evangelion Unit 02 Progressive knife

I really enjoy priming and sanding down my prints before painting.
    ~

All awesome. I really need to start using my printer.

@Dkaris are they designed by you or do you use people's print designs? I'm just wondering how hard it is to make my own stuff. My dad does alot of printing, and that spine looks damn awesome too

Well, in general, the quality of the print depends on two basic factors, your ability to create a model in 3D and the ability of your printer to print in fine detail.

I think there are limits though, like if the wall thickness isn't enough, then this happens:

I bought a used Micromaster Tracer who didn't come with a rotor, so attempted to make one, only to discover the printer couldn't handle the miniature detail required for the part.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    All awesome. I really need to start using my printer.

@Dkaris are they designed by you or do you use people's print designs? I'm just wondering how hard it is to make my own stuff. My dad does alot of printing, and that spine looks damn awesome too
    These ones are other peoples. I can provide the links to the stl files if you like. I have very little CAD software, I use tinkercad a lot to modify existing designs to my own liking. For example I took the stl of a character from a game called warframe, deleted the body, scaled the head down and added a hole so that I could fit it on a lego minifigure. Just little stuff like that. I don't have the time or the knowledge for a lot of modelling. I have drawn some stuff, like patterns, converted them to svg then converted that to 3d files which is a bit of fun when it all comes together.

I'd suggest tinkercad for a few reasons, 1. its free. 2. its online so you can access your stuff from anywhere. 3. you can import existing models and muck around with them, or create your own stuff with basic geometric shapes etc.
    ~