Page 167 of 168 FirstFirst ... 147157162163164165166167168 LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 1679

Thread: The 3rd party acquisitions thread!

JJJ is online now Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Nah. I'm still happy with my MFT (OSKO DX9) Dinobots, and the way NA do their toys disagrees with me (conversely I have very few issues with how MST do their toys). I'll be giving whatever MST do a good look over (whenever they get there, and with luck they'll finish their promised Ark crew presently - only three to go, after all), but I honestly don't expect to be replacing what I've got.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I only ended up with Sludge from MFT's set and he is nice.

However I'm just really liking this NA output for their Dino's.

Is there some controversy I'm not aware of with NA, or is just all the colour options?

JJJ is online now Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

No, no controversy. The end result of their design philosophy just doesn't match what I want. I guess the best way to convey it would be to make a side-by-side comparison of New Age's Cliffjumper with Magic Square's Cliffjumper.

It's a lot of things, and many of them are subtle, but you could crudely boil it down to this - NA (as I see it) doesn't even try to hide gaps and hinges and so on, leaving the toy looking much less finished than MST's toy (and conversely MST do make quite an effort with lots of little flaps and some cunning technical choices). And this isn't a chance thing, NA are very well aware that some people don't like the look (they got a lot of complaints about the insides of Grimlock's legs, which they did in their usual fashion), but they do it anyway, because that's their design preference (and even more people are perfectly happy with it, so why change?). Also, like Emgo, they often don't seem to care about what a toy looks like from angles other than the front (see their Megatron's hideous back).

Their toys are perfectly servicable and well-made (I have their insecticons, because MST has never shown any sign of making some), I'm just not their target market (I am, being someone who always wanted toys that looked like they fell right off the TV screen, precisely Magic Square's target market instead). And that's fine

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Anyone all in on the NA Dinobots? They're pulling me in. So far all looking great and Magic Square are lagging behind.
    Absolutely I'm all in. I mean not for all decos for sure, but certianly for all the characters. Love their Dinobots. Hard to resist the toy and comic deco version though. I already have 3 Grimlocks.

I'm waiting on

- IronFactory Final Battle Magnus re-issue (the IDW chonky armour boi). I have one of the first run figures, but seeing as this is an all time fave of mine I wanted a spare.
    - IronFactory Samurai Grimlock
    - MMC Transtech Cheetor and Rosana (?).

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Today I received Newage Action Master Thundercracker. He was a bargain, I couldn't resist.
    The NewAge Seeker mold is a hell of a thing. I have one of the first run Samaels (Skywarp). They really earned their reputation.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    No, no controversy. The end result of their design philosophy just doesn't match what I want. I guess the best way to convey it would be to make a side-by-side comparison of New Age's Cliffjumper with Magic Square's Cliffjumper.

<Snip>
    All good stuff JJJ. Thanks for the thought process.

I guess I was pretty dissapointed with MST's Beachcomber and haven't really gone back to them. I do have their Sideswipe on order so I guess I might be starting to come back. I just think apart from Grimlocks inner calf's and Swoops neck, the NA Dino's will be hard to beat.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    The NewAge Seeker mold is a hell of a thing. I have one of the first run Samaels (Skywarp). They really earned their reputation.
    Isn't it? I got their Thundercracker on his first run, and I was absolutely amazed at it, a true miniature Masterpiece. It's just such a beautiful and elegant mold.

As for the Dinobots I am all in on the NA Dinos, Sludge appropriately arrived today. I haven't had time to open him yet, but he looks just as good as Grimlock. I opted for the Toy Colours in the end, even though I've got a few issues with the deco. Now I just need a matching toy deco Grimlock and I'm on track. I went comic deco on Big Grim, so I'll be fixing that.

I got my first 2 NewAge figures recently...Cyclonus regular version and Ultra Magnus EX version.

They both look like the entrance to an amazing rabbit hole...

Oh yes sir - you are in trouble.

Bit of a score today - a used, apparently-good-condition MMC Inventa Magna not-Sky Lynx pairing (the old darker blue colour) from a shop here in Yau Ma Tei. Was looking up used TFs on Carousell and found the ad for it. $800 HKD, or AU$160-odd for the pair.

It's not exactly a grail or anything but I didn't have the cash for it when it came out, and I did sort of want one after the Commander Class one came out and didn't really do much for me. Didn't like the reissue colours MMC did either.

So yeah, pretty good week for Season 3 3rd Party purchases for me.