Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Review: Transformers Regeneration One

Guido Guidi's first issue didn't impress me. I wish he'd stuck to his faux G1 style instead of drawing this in Wildman's current style. It's so similar it will not be jarring in the collection, but I really like the style he's been using for the covers and that Generations book strip. Or maybe it's Baskerville's inks that are the problem. I dunno.

The most interesting thing was Hot Rod's vision but it seems out of place in this series to reference so much that came after G1.

Rack'n'Ruin cover though is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Guido Guidi's first issue didn't impress me. I wish he'd stuck to his faux G1 style instead of drawing this in Wildman's current style. It's so similar it will not be jarring in the collection, but I really like the style he's been using for the covers and that Generations book strip. Or maybe it's Baskerville's inks that are the problem. I dunno.

The most interesting thing was Hot Rod's vision but it seems out of place in this series to reference so much that came after G1.

Rack'n'Ruin cover though is very nice.
    All of this is what I was thinking too. Guidi has done a masterful imitation, but I wouldve preferred his take on G1 rather than his copying of G1. That being said I loved his shot selection, especially in the opening pages.

After reading a few non spoiler reviews from US sites, I was expecting more from this issue storywise. I think MtMtE has really ruined me for other comics, I expect so much and for it to take 15 minutes to read an issue that when I am done a whole regen comic in 5 I feel cheated!

Proper Furman story, proper Furman pacing. really getting all his ducks in a row before knocking them down over the next two issues.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I agree that Guidi did a fantastic job in emulating Wildman's style (further enhanced by Baskerville's inking). I guess Guidi wanted to maintain visual continuity between his and Wildman's styles (IDW themselves certainly don't seem to give a flying Rattrap's about design consistency ). I loved the toy accurate Sandstorm!

And yeah, the retro-style art with the flashbacks to #80 was heaps cool. Also great to see the asteroid smasher and Mark V droid making a comeback. Poor Cosmos.

I really liked seeing all the different multiverse Hot Rod/Rodimus/Rodimus Primes appearing, though because of the poor graphic style you had to have a hard look at some to tell who was who (Animated & Energon were very easy to identify, took me a minute or two to figure out that one of the front guys was the alternators version). That said, I thought the graphic style suited the first page perfectly with the future demise of Bludgeon.

As Gok said, poor old Cosmos. Little bugger never stood a chance.

The Warworld is looking pretty good, haven't really seen much of it since I first picked up a G2 comic. They had a Warworld on Young Justice: Invasion the other week and I was very vocal that DC has ripped of the TF's yet again!

Another fairly entertaining issue. The big fight between UM and Galvatron took up a fair chunk of the issue, but it was well worth it. Too many nods to Target 2006 to mention.

All the other bits between flowed well. I is a very short read compared to MtMtE but it works in its favour this wek as the flow is continuous. You go seamlessly from the big fight to all other areas of Cybertron. After all the build up of Prol as a cunning bugger in recent times,it is almost quaint to see him as depicted here.

Soundwave vs Blaster looks entertaining (but likely short lived, there are only 5 issues left) and the IDW Furmanverse homage to Omega vs Monstructor looks like it'll be interesting as well.

To finalise, the team has pulled off a very entertaining and easy to read issue that really picks up after the dull Grimlock vs Scorponok stuff we sat through, merely so old Grimlock could become a temporary vessal for Primus.

yeah, I'm enjoying this more than the Grimlock/Scorponok arc. The Ultra Magnus/Galvatron fight was cool, but kinda felt a bit too similar to Target: 2006 to me. And the killing Magnus becoming an omniversal constant... umm... this is Galvatron II. We've never seen him kill Ultra Magnus before; even assuming that he killed Ultra Magnus from his own reality... that's one more. It was mostly Galvatron I who kept on beating the crap out of Ultra Magnus over and over and over again, but Galvatron II should have no memory of this since he's from a different universe. Unless he counts killing Ultra Magnus for a second time as an 'omniversal constant.' He's insane, so who knows.

Nice to finally see Monstructor make his debut in original G1 continuity... even if it's 24 years later.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Another great issue in a row. That makes it 3 killer issues in a row.

Notice Guido's little Easter Egg? The Warworld's missiles that hit the ground and turn into the hunter droids are the exact same shape and colours as the silly old GIG G1 Italian TRASFORMERS missiles.

Pretty cool little Easter egg, for such a ridiculous real life thing.
    Looking To Buy Either Siege Or Earthrise Ratchet, and Buzzworthy SS86 ER Cliffjumper.

Good issue. It's now beginning to read more like the original Furman run of the G1 comics!

The ReGeneration '0' issue didn't really add much to the storyline. Just filled in the odd gap here and there, discussed a few things for those like myself that have somewhat hazy memories of the old issues, and took the chance to introduce Jhaxius and turn Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime. Not bad, but the few issues before have been far superior.

#0 was a hard issue to track down due to it's collectability!

Not much happened really, showed us some stuff from marvel UK, the final part of car wash of doom, Jhiaxus being a genius of evil and a parallel universe. Not much to relate to the "current timeline".

Art was spectacular, I cannot believe one person was responsible for colouring the entire issue.

If you miss it, you missed nothing really, I was expecting a little more meat to the issue, but it was easily one of the shortest reads I have had, even from regen.