Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damaged During Transformation Help!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    Where might one purchase one of these fine products? In case one is feeling masochistic?
    Shopping around a bit it seems like the average price is more or less $20 (seems like a bargain price to do a whole lot of good or a whole lot of evil). However on eBay you get to have it delivered to your home
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Loctite-4...ht_1157wt_1093

Since its a local brand, you might be able to get it cheaper at your local hobby place?

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    Since its a local brand, you might be able to get it cheaper at your local hobby place?
    I've tried my local without luck. Going to cast the net out a bit further tomorrow. eBay if that doesn't work out. Many thanks!

I've been going through Loctite 406's tech sheet (http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/406-2012%20NEW-EN.PDF). This stuff sounds quite demonic.
    Aaaah, the wickedness one could perpetrate! The possibilities are endless!

Now remember "With great power comes great responsibility " Same goes for glue.

OK, so I got myself some Loctite 406, searched online and called a bunch of hardware and automotive supply places and finally found some at BURSON AUTO PARTS (http://www.burson.com.au/index.htm). ~$25 for a 25ml bottle, which looks like it will last me quite some time. I could have got the same thing on eBay for about $20 shipped, but in this instance I wanted to look at the bottle before I purchased.

I want it to fix an issue on my Classics Optimus Prime - got it on eBay at quite a pretty penny and the arm snapped off on about the 2nd or 3rd transform, got me narked no end. The piece that snapped takes a bit of strain, so I needed a glue that is ridiculously strong. Hoped that Loctite 406 would be what the doctor ordered. It is quite a bit thinner than I thought it would be, and no sooner had I opened it that I got some on my fingers. Had to be super careful not to get skin on skin, as I have little time for a hospital visit. It took some fiddling around before I was confident to apply it to Op, and I only used the smallest of amounts so it didn't overwhelm and fuse the arm joint.

It dried stiff in about a minute or so. I'm not going to test the joint out fully for at least a day or two to make sure it's completely cured. I'll let you know what the results are in a couple of days. Hopefully by then the hard new skin I have developed on a few finger tips has worn off by then...

Good luck! I'm keen to hear how it goes.

Hopefully by then the hard new skin I have developed on a few finger tips has worn off by then...
    Get a file or sand paper. That's how I get araldite off my skin. Works a treat!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

It dried stiff in about a minute or so. I'm not going to test the joint out fully for at least a day or two to make sure it's completely cured. I'll let you know what the results are in a couple of days. Hopefully by then the hard new skin I have developed on a few finger tips has worn off by then...
    Hope it all works out

Just very curious, do you have any before and after shots of OP's arm?

Just very curious, do you have any before and after shots of OP's arm?
    I thought to take some pics before I glued and then completely forgot to. If attempt #1 fails, I'll be sure to post some pics before attempt #2.

Picked up OP - the slightest movement of the arm and it came straight of at the same point. The point of glueing felt slightly tacky, so I'm wondering if 24 hours was not enough curing time. Impatience got the better of me.

I did try and take the arm apart to isolate the break but couldn't separate the front and back of the arm - even snapped the tip of a blade in the groove between pieces. It's still there.

I may try and take the body apart instead. Griffin has shown how here.

Pics to come, when I make attempt number 2. Not ready to give up on the Loctite just yet.

OK, attempt #2 with WIP pics!

The damage:

IMG_0080 by M-bot2011
    IMG_0081 by M-bot2011
    Inside the arm is a silver disc that allows movement while anchoring the arm to the body.

IMG_0082 by M-bot2011
    Here you can see the tip of the blade that is lodged in between the front and back of the arm. These pieces WILL JUST NOT COME APART.

IMG_0083 by M-bot2011
    IMG_0084 by M-bot2011
    Heres the body, taken apart, and the arm attachment removed. It was incredibly tight on the rotation point - I'm now wondering if this contributed to the poor arm movement and hence the breakage. It may be a similar issue with the pieces of the arm that wont come apart. I may need to shave down the peg inside the body that the arm rotates on in order to free it up a little and prevent the stress on the glued piece.

IMG_0085 by M-bot2011
    All glued. You can see here the disc that anchors the arm. Once the glue has cured - a good 2-3 days this time - this disc will need to rotate freely with the red connector piece that goes inside the body.

Here's hoping! Update in a few days.

Some good news - the Loctite 406 has held a treat! The red piece that fits inside the body is turning sweetly and won't pull out from the arm.

I've yet to reassemble the body and try and move the arm once it's attached - that will be the ultimate test and will have to wait until the weekend.

Anyone else got any glue stories? What works? What doesn't?