View Poll Results: Which is best?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deluxe Cybertron Mode Prime

5 20.00%
  • Deluxe Earth Mode Prime (w/Battle Damage)

3 12.00%
  • They're both equal

3 12.00%
  • I'm holding out for Voyager Earth mode

5 20.00%
  • I like Machine Men

9 36.00%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Animated Optimus Prime - Deluxe Cybertron Mode vs. Deluxe Battle Damaged Earth Mode

Default Animated Optimus Prime - Deluxe Cybertron Mode vs. Deluxe Battle Damaged Earth Mode

OK, I think a lot of us have acquired one or both of the above and I'm curious to hear people's thoughts & opinions in greater detail.

I got Cybertron first and I think my low expectations and a great QC build have both contributed to me truly adoring this figure. On the advice of others, specifically Kyle and STL, I grabbed the other version yesterday. With the exception of the top of the cab and subtle differences in the hands, these two figures transform in a virtually identical fashion. I assumed that they would share parts of their mold, but I'm fairly certain they are entirely unique, even though their transformation design is the same.

Here's a long rambling of my comparing the two. I'd love to hear your thoughts too.

Alt mode:
    This one is purely subjective. I love futuristic looking vehicles with large down-plane windscreens, sort of like Japanese bullet trains, the original Kup or a Mercedes A-Class. In the show, Earth mode has taken a few forms, primarily the more fire-engine looking rig, but in some places, like this Earth mode, more of a simple cab, ala G1.
    Winner: Cybertron mode Again, purely subjective.

Head mold:
    * Cybertron has the face with the mouth.
    * Earth mode has the G1 style face plate and battle damage (herein abbreviated as BD).
    Winner: Cybertron mode Let's face it, this is Animated Prime's look.

Axe:
    * Cybertron has a smaller, double jointed axe which has three modes: single blade, double blade, and a third (silly methinks) mode where you clip the shield onto the axe.
    * Earth mode has a nicely detailed larger axe.
    * Cybertron axe stows out of sight in alt mode and forms the pivot with which a trailer would attach to.
    * Earth mode sticks out like a big fat axe in alt mode.
    Based on other's comments in favor of Earth mode's axe, I think I'm in the minority here, but the stowaway-ability of Cybertron's axe goes a long way with me, so I say...
    Winner: Cybertron mode

Alt Mode Roof
    * Cybertron mode's cab roof detaches to form a shield or combine with the axe.
    * Earth mode's cab roof slides out of place and folds up on its back, although the clip that connects the facia to the roof is a bit annoying.
    Winner: Earth mode Cybertron's roof's detachability annoys me

Legs
    When forming the alt mode, the lower halves of the legs slide up towards the thigh and lock into flaps that cover the shoulder blades of robot mode.
    * The Earth mode connectors are superior and with the silly looking axe in place, the rear half of alt mode is quite solid
    * Earth mode also has a very gratifying 1cm click when extending the legs to their full length position for robot mode.
    Winner: Earth mode

Arm Transformation
    * I think one of my favorite features of Cybertron mode is how the hands are interlocked holding the axe in alt mode and as the transformation to robot mode is performed, it looks like he's coming out of a massive leap in order to plunge his axe into something and I think it looks WAY cool.
    * Earth mode's hands simply fold in at the wrist.

Colors:
    * Cybertron mode's red is a bit of a candy apple red and the painted red of the cab face doesn't blend too well.
    * Earth mode is a darker, richer red that suits the character and toy better. The blue is proportionately darker and richer as well.
    Winner: Earth mode

Smokestacks/Retardant Hoses
    * Cybertron mode's smoestack's swivel out to form Prime's wrist hoses. Because they are on the sides of his forearms, which are articulated so well, you can easily position him in cool poses where the hose is on top pointing at his foe, ala G1 Megatron
    * Earth mode's smokestacks also become his hoses, but swiveling them around slides them half way out of their hole and they can then easily fall out. Additionally, they are positioned under the forearm, making the aforementioned pose not possible.
    Last edited by jaydisc; 21st June 2008 at 08:47 PM.

"Machine Men"...?

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    "Machine Men"...?
    Hey! I voted for the Machine Men too (Google re-directed me to this place instead )

I voted for Machine Men, simply because I don't like Animated Prime at all.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Yeah, Machine Men translates to "none of the above" so you chose well.

I prefer Cybertron mode over the Earth one, I think it represents him better. It looks like someone who is younger and less experienced.
    It also looks better with the wheels popping out of his shoulders then it does on the Earth mode

i've no idea and i kind of like Machine Men...so voted that first :P
    *haha*

I don't like Machine Men, but do like the original Machine Robos from Japan.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Maybe this thread title should be changed to incorporate "Machine Men"?

But getting back on topic, I don't plan to own any version of TFA Prime (Classics Prime will do me fine ) but maybe you should hold out for voyager earth-mode Prime - I've heard he's an awesome figure.

I like the Earth mode better, it all clicks together nicely, had a better weapon and a more realistic and recognisable vehicle mode. I do agree the Cybertron head looks more like the cartoon character, and am looking to see how easily they may swap. The Cybertron version does have a bit of War Within Prime feel to it as well which makes it a nice toy, but I prefer the Earth mode one.