Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Transformers 4 Rip Off This Guy’s Design For The New Bumblebee?

Megatron Guest

Default Did Transformers 4 Rip Off This Guy’s Design For The New Bumblebee?

Did Transformers 4 Rip Off This Guy’s Design For The New Bumblebee? (Gizmodo, 03/06/2013)

...Mr. Vengeance’s 1967 Camaro. It took seven years to build, with all of the blood, sweat, and tears you’d imagine. It’s famous around the web. It also looks exactly like the “new” Bumblebee from Transformers 4.

Click on the link above for the full article and pics.

(I hope I've posted this in the right place, as it's a discussion topic as well.)

Remember this ad from the movie industry?

You wouldn't steal a car

not really.

not like he designed the parts or hand made the parts he just stuck a bunch of parts from other cars and stuck it on his car. i wonder if he saw a car and said that looks awesome and then replicated it..

its like someone seeing a picture of a wfc cliffjumper head stuck on a generations body and doing it themselves.

in the end they probably did research it online line saw some pics and thought it look good....just like jimbob, skeeter and the 4000 other people that have tried......if he didnt want that to happen then dont show it off....imitation is flattery but dont expect cash!
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    not really.

not like he designed the parts or hand made the parts he just stuck a bunch of parts from other cars and stuck it on his car. i wonder if he saw a car and said that looks awesome and then replicated it..

its like someone seeing a picture of a wfc cliffjumper head stuck on a generations body and doing it themselves.

in the end they probably did research it online line saw some pics and thought it look good....just like jimbob, skeeter and the 4000 other people that have tried......if he didnt want that to happen then dont show it off....imitation is flattery but dont expect cash!
    I'm with Other Sharky on this. I saw the article on Gizmodo yesterday and failed to see the big deal really.

Strap some aftermarket parts onto an existing car, then complain when some vaguely similar aftermarket parts are strapped onto an entirely different car
    ????
    Profit
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Y'know there was a time when one might have felt a bit honoured that a big movie production has taken inspiration from your work/designs.

But yes, message conveyed, Hasbro/Paramount are not overly original with their designs in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    Remember this ad from the movie industry?

You wouldn't steal a car
    The IT Crowd did a much better version
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg&feature=fvwrel

Still it took that guy 7 years to build his car the way he wanted it and Hasbro and Paramount are going to make money off his car's likeness. Disappointing really :-\

I think the media has made this blow out of proportion, I don't really see how they could've "copied" it as such. Being pretty heavy into the modification scene myself, I really don't think one can copy somebody else's car because all ideas, styles and trends need to come from some place.

The modifications in question are all extremely popular for older cars, and one could easily make the stretch and argue that Mr Vengeance, the owner of the black Camaro, "copied" the 240Z from Wangan Midnight which began publication in 1990 because they both have over fenders and a front lip, while his Camaro uses a replica of the original Japanese Watanabe wheels found on the same 240Z.

In short, absolutely ridiculous.

Megatron Guest

For me, the interesting thing about this article is not so much the ethical or legal implications of Mr Vengeance's Camaro design being stolen, or whether it actually was stolen (which is an interesting topic in itself no doubt), but rather, if this car was indeed the inspiration for TF4 Bumblebee, 1. Would Hasbro/Paramount, etc. ever admit to it, and 2. it would be nice if they did.
    Last edited by Megatron; 4th June 2013 at 10:30 PM.

If i see a blue Sportivo in TF5...