Thread: Are they all like this? Stereotyping

Default Are they all like this? Stereotyping

Hi guys, how are y'all doing. I just played TF2 (team fortress 2) on an aussie server then these two Americans log on. I was using the microphone, so they knew I was Aussie. So then they started going on about how Australia's in Europe and How we sleep on kangaroo pillows and that we're next to germany or something. (I think they thought I was Austrian. I found it really annoying. And I think I used the best comebacks, and they started calling me stuff and thought those were better comebacks. I was really P***ed off about this. Has this happened to anyone else? I tried telling them the truth and everything and laughed at me. What was really annoying was that thy were like 21 years old, and they thought they were funny. They didn't know the difference between Australia and Austria. I blame tv. (they watch so much of it, lol) I think even their parents and teachers etc are using this stereotypical and incorrect information to make them think America is the best place in the world. And then they called me a kid and I was like: You're the one playing kiddy games. Then they went on and on about how America makes games and the fact that me having a microphone on my computer is "suprising" and that I must be rich. Those D***heads. I honestly hate them. I like some, but the fact that they think calling someone a F*gg*t is funny makes them seem very imature. Not a great example for a country who gets nearly half their resources from us.
    SO, as the title asks, are they all like this? Fat bozos who sit there calling people names and things like that. What's worse is, they didn't think I had internet. How the F*** could i be talking to them without internet. Has anyone else had an encounter like this. I say we should contact the Australian government to get the word to America to have teachers tell tehm the truth in class and learn about our technology and advances and cities. Who else agrees. I don't mind stereotypical media such as movies and the like, but the exposure these guys have to stereotypical information is very large and should be lowered as to give the right image we want Australia to be, not Kangaroo hunters whp live in mud huts. I don't know about you guys, but I want to be known as a smart country that look just as advanced as america's image. Leave comments below. BTW, I try to ignore them but it's so hard not to say anything back. I'm not gonna be racist (they're from Haiti or something) but honestly, I have had enough. I am stepping my foot down, just like Galvatron with the kneepad of doom. Who's with me?! Me Grimlock no like stereotypes!!!!

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    SO, as the title asks, are they all like this? Fat bozos who sit there calling people names and things like that.
    Do you understand how ridiculous it is to create a thread bemoaning two Haitians' stereotypes of Australia by asking if all Americans fit in to your stereotypical impression of them? Or the irony of complaining about the "American" education system while you misspell and randomly capitalise words (while failing to do so with several proper nouns)? And you end your post with four exclamation marks and fail to double-space your second paragraph.

I just played TF2 (team fortress 2) on an aussie server then these two Americans log on. I was using the microphone, so they knew I was Aussie. So then they started going on about how Australia's in Europe and How we sleep on kangaroo pillows and that we're next to germany or something. (I think they thought I was Austrian. I found it really annoying... They didn't know the difference between Australia and Austria... I'm not gonna be racist (they're from Haiti or something)... Me Grimlock no like stereotypes!!!!
    Your whole post is racist. Oh, and Haiti is in the Caribbean, which is not the America that you yourself are stereotyping.

If you don't like someone, avoid them. Being online means you can disconnect, and not have them physically get in your presence.
    Have a whinge in the venting topic if you have a bad experience with something, but it isn't suitable to start a topic that encourages others to complain about demographics (instead of individuals, who are the ignorant ones, not the whole nation they are from). It's their loss if they are ignorant of others and the world around them, due to spending an unhealthy amount of time gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Do you understand how ridiculous it is to create a thread bemoaning two Haitians' stereotypes of Australia by asking if all Americans fit in to your stereotypical impression of them? Or the irony of complaining about the "American" education system while you misspell and randomly capitalise words (while failing to do so with several proper nouns)? And you end your post with four exclamation marks and fail to double-space your second paragraph.

Your whole post is racist. Oh, and Haiti is in the Caribbean, which is not the America that you yourself are stereotyping.
    I type fast so I do spell a lot of words wrong, and they are Haitans but they live in America. And mispell has only one 's' by the way. I tried to be as nice as possible, but they still laughed at me. I'm just trying to discuss how some stereotyping is too much these days, especially to Australians. I understand some have it worse (we get a lot of Asian stereotypes these days) and some take it different to others. I just want to find out how others feel about the matter of stereotypical info and how it varies in different places. I wasn't nescessarily complaining, just asking how people feel and take it. I can handle those that are intelligent but those two were over the top. It sounded like thy have lived in America long enough to go with their thoughts. (they had a strong accent.) Anyway, I just wanted to state a point. what is your opinion of what is too much stereotyping.

And mispell has only one 's' by the way.
    No. No, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    No. No, it doesn't.
    Wait looked it up, depends where you come from. I spell it mispell you say misspell. It's another debatable subject, although in a curriculm situation as an essay or test, you would write misspell. Anyway, I'm not complaining, I'm recounting an event and how it is taken in different ways. Bye!