Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Glory

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    Ever heard of Marion Jones or Michael Johnson? These were favorites and expected winners. Marion enjoyed the victories but admitted later she was taking the "clear". Even these cheated.
    Just because they cheated doesn't automatically mean that Shiwen Ye has cheated. If evidence crops up later that shows she's cheated, then the IOC will strip her of her medals and then fine, we can call her a cheat. But what I'm saying is that she deserves the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Cos atm the only "evidence" that people seem to have is "she's too good to be clean."

Also... she's 16... she's a _kid_. How would you feel if you were a clean athlete and got accused of cheating for being too good?

Having some unknown beat her personal record by 7 seconds in the olympics is just somewhat suspect. To be considered faster than a man, it's definitely possible but unlikely. That's why we separate the men from the women. If man and women were physically equal, then we'd only have one event instead of two.

The only reason why people can't accept this is because she wasn't on the radar of contenders. If people knew about her before the olympics, this would be a non-issue even "if" she was cheating.
    She's only recently become known to the world media, but she's not completely unknown in swimming circles. She's been training in Brisbane under Australian coach Ken Wood and she swam the fastest time in the 200m IM and 2nd fastest in the 400m IM at the 2010 Asian Games. She also beat both the American Ariana Kukors and Stephanie Rice at last year's World Aquatics Championships in Shanghai. Ye has won 15 medals in the past 2 years so far, 12 golds, 2 silvers and 1 bronze.

Also, the comparison between Shiwen Ye and Ryan Lochte is kinda retarded because it was taken out of context; when examined in context, Ye's fastest time is still 23 seconds slower than Lochte's, and she also had to swim a lot harder to reach the finish, whereas Lochte had a far more comfortable lead (reference). Anything can look bad when taken out of context.

Only time will tell when a whistle blower or she herself admits if there's truth to these allegations or not.
    She's already stated that the allegations are untrue, saying that her results come from "hard work and training." She's also passed every drug test thrown at her. What more do people want? A witch hunt?

"It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
    - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    I hope that Ye is clean, but surely 7 seconds is more than "olympic hype" can bring. Saying that, she is only very young and has the perfect body shape for a swimmer, from the underwater shots she looks like a seal. Her power to weight ratio would be enormous, so her very smooth technique just glides her across the water.
    Ian Thorpe has come out in support of Ye, saying that when he was her age (15 to 16) he also improved his personal best in 400m freestyle. Ye has also experienced a growth spurt since her performance in the 2010 Asian Games -- growing from 160cm to 172cm (only 3cm short of the average height of an Australian man, making her pretty tall for an Asian girl). Former British swimmer Adrian Moorhouse has said that he experienced a similar growth spurt when he was 17 which significantly improved his swimming.

Why Teen Athletes Can Make Big Improvements

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    China's drug addled past, and constant stories of ex Chinese medicos and trainers talking about rampant drug use in beginning athletes in dubious media circles keep fuelling these fires.
    I know, but it kinda sucks how Ye - a kid - has to suffer because of her country's shady past. Some of the Chinese athletes in the 1992 games were suspected of using steroids, and some of them failed their doping tests and were caught out.

Criminals get to enjoy the presumption of innocence until proven guilty in a court of law. It'd be nice if this kid could also enjoy the presumption of innocence in her sport.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Just because they cheated doesn't automatically mean that Shiwen Ye has cheated. If evidence crops up later that shows she's cheated, then the IOC will strip her of her medals and then fine, we can call her a cheat. But what I'm saying is that she deserves the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Cos atm the only "evidence" that people seem to have is "she's too good to be clean."

Also... she's 16... she's a _kid_. How would you feel if you were a clean athlete and got accused of cheating for being too good?
    Being a kid doesn't exempt you from anything. Kids can kill too.

Also, the comparison between Shiwen Ye and Ryan Lochte is kinda retarded because it was taken out of context; when examined in context, Ye's fastest time is still 23 seconds slower than Lochte's, and she also had to swim a lot harder to reach the finish, whereas Lochte had a far more comfortable lead (reference). Anything can look bad when taken out of context.
    Don't think so. The context was in the last leg of the IM wherein supposedly you're probably the most tired. Though it's the easiest style.

Quote below:
    "In the 1990s, the Chinese did more drugs than Guns N’ Roses. Chinese swimmers have failed 40 drugs test since 1990. That’s three times as many as any other country.", claims David Whitley (Sporting News) . Of course, stuff that happened in the past is not proof that the same thing is happening today. It's the fact that Ms. Ye's final lap was faster than Ryan Locke's, 28.93 to 29.10 seconds, when he won the men's 400-meter IM Gold Medal that is rasing eyebrows.
    Anything that comes out as unbelievable to previous winners is always suspected first. If I came out and say a found a cure to this disease, wouldn't other medical experts test it first before believing. Or do you believe first before proving? What do we say when something is too good to be true even with TFs?

What's ridiculous is comparing her to Michael Phelps. The autism in Michael is what prevents people from pre-judging him with cheating and also his history. Did you see the amount of food he ate in the previous olympics just to get the energy to win? There isn't even any hype about this girl.

She's already stated that the allegations are untrue, saying that her results come from "hard work and training." She's also passed every drug test thrown at her. What more do people want? A witch hunt?
    The winners I mentioned also denied taking drugs. And Marion Jones probably wouldn't have been caught if she didn't admit the truth.
    Here's a quote from another article -
    Mind you she has been tested many times and always clean. But…… so had been Marion Jones, or even Lance Armstrong. I agree that you can’t ascertain one never doped just because s/he was tested clean. So whatever is accused of Ye Shiwen can equally and quite possibly more rationally be put on a lot of superstar swimmers whom I’d rather not name.
    Blood samples are kept for eight years by the IOC. The war against doping goes on long after the closing ceremony.
    Criminals get to enjoy the presumption of innocence until proven guilty in a court of law. It'd be nice if this kid could also enjoy the presumption of innocence in her sport.
    Nice-yes. But it's because criminals go to jail or worse executed. The worse this kid will lose is her medal and not be allowed to compete.
    Generally, the worse/worst punishment needs presumption of innocence.

You should look at the fencing korean girl who lost out on a medal and then offered a consolation medal. That's just sad.

This girl cried and protested and waited over an hour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19073420

So jazzcomp... as far as you're concerned Shiwen Ye is guilty until proven innocent?

So jazzcomp... as far as you're concerned Shiwen Ye is guilty until proven innocent?
    Nope. She got the medal. It's the doubt in viewers, other sports experts and fans that she has to remove. I have no proof she's guilty so she's innocent. She's got more tournaments to prove that. There's always doubt. Doubt inherited from country's past and from how great she performed. Most of us do not follow her career.

There's time and enough competitions and drug testing to prove the doubters wrong.

Another olympic blunder -

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...n-judges-.html

Why did the opals change their uniform? It was unique.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/health-a...329-1vzi5.html

What I'm more impressed by is Elizabeth Cambage's slam dunk -- the first female slam dunk in Olympic history (not hindered by her massive 203cm stature! ). Cambage was also a victim of bullying at school -- kids teased her for being tall, and was also a victim of racism (as her mother explained in a TV interview that I saw last week). I hope all those people who teased her at school are enjoying their humble pie right now... served with a nice warm cup of STHU.

So Kobe Bryant thinks this USA Olympic basketball team could beat the dream team of 92.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    So Kobe Bryant thinks this USA Olympic basketball team could beat the dream team of 92.
    He said that they could beat them in one game. Not definitively beat them in every game. Taken out of context to make controversy. As a competitor, of course he thinks everyone is beatable at least once.
    Last edited by jazzcomp; 5th August 2012 at 12:31 AM.

Just don't agree with the Qantas commercial - athletes are the reason they fly?

Can't enjoy the olympic basketball games 9 coverage sucks. I wish SBS could've shown coverage as well instead of exclusive to 9