Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Glory

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    Just don't agree with the Qantas commercial - athletes are the reason they fly?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

Can't enjoy the olympic basketball games 9 coverage sucks. I wish SBS could've shown coverage as well instead of exclusive to 9
    I agree. Rather than giving the entire Olympic coverage licence to Nine, they should give separate licences for different events -- like Nine could cover the opening and closing ceremonies plus the "popular" events that they want, and other stations can vie for the events that they're not interested in covering, and viewers can channel surf to watch the events they want. One of the ABC or SBS channels can cover the "least popular" events I suppose. Either way, I'm not fond of the whole exclusivity thing. And would it hurt for Nine to replay the opening ceremony during prime time??? Ya know... for the benefit of us who can't stay up late or are home in the middle of the day to watch it...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

I agree. Rather than giving the entire Olympic coverage licence to Nine, they should give separate licences for different events -- like Nine could cover the opening and closing ceremonies plus the "popular" events that they want, and other stations can vie for the events that they're not interested in covering, and viewers can channel surf to watch the events they want. One of the ABC or SBS channels can cover the "least popular" events I suppose. Either way, I'm not fond of the whole exclusivity thing. And would it hurt for Nine to replay the opening ceremony during prime time??? Ya know... for the benefit of us who can't stay up late or are home in the middle of the day to watch it...
    The part that s&@ts me is the fact that the 9network have 2 channels, 9 and GEM, and 99% of the time they are both showing the same thing! Which moron though that was a good idea??
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Some terrible officiating in these games, two of the worst were last night, where the athletes made massive mistakes yet were given second chances and both ended up medalling.

The Great Britain rower who fell off his seat should have the medal stripped, he and his teammate benefited greatly from their stuff up and subsequent restart. At least they only achieved silver after conning the officials.

The biggest stuff up last night was in the pool, where after a huge false start (no other swimmer even twitched on the blocks) by the race favourite Sun, he was allowed to restart. He went on to win his third Gold and break the WR too. Should not have even been in the water.

At least the badminton officials got it right and punished the cheating teams for rorting the competition.

On the flipside I think these games will be know as our Silverlympics! only the sailing, cycling and a miracle gold or two from other events might get us past the gold counts of NZ and South Africa.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

...to think that the last time Australia performed this badly, the world hadn't heard of "Star Wars" yet.

What I'm more impressed by is Elizabeth Cambage's slam dunk -- the first female slam dunk in Olympic history (not hindered by her massive 203cm stature! ). Cambage was also a victim of bullying at school -- kids teased her for being tall, and was also a victim of racism (as her mother explained in a TV interview that I saw last week). I hope all those people who teased her at school are enjoying their humble pie right now... served with a nice warm cup of STHU.
    Because I know Lisa Leslie can dunk. It wasn't a big thing for me.
    For an impressive olympic dunk, Vince Carter's dunk comes to mind.

...to think that the last time Australia performed this badly, the world hadn't heard of "Star Wars" yet.
    I fail to see the problem here. The best athletes Australia has to offer have gone over to the Olympics and have tried their best. What more would you ask of them? We have put so much pressure on them that when they get a silver/bronze medal, they feel they have let their country down! How screwed up is that??

The media in this country are a bunch of tools.

On an unrelated note, awesome 100m final this morning!!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Yup, Bolt won again. I'm pretty sure he'll win the 200m as well. His teammate won silver but the other one broke down at the finish line.

Yup, Bolt won again. I'm pretty sure he'll win the 200m as well. His teammate won silver but the other one broke down at the finish line.
    Powell finished with something torn I am sure.

I was very pleased that my brainwashing of my students has worked, almost the entire class woke up early to watch the race, but they loved Bolt pre my Olympic brainwashing programme began!

getting to the interesting end for most of the team sports, where games get awesome.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I fail to see the problem here. The best athletes Australia has to offer have gone over to the Olympics and have tried their best. What more would you ask of them? We have put so much pressure on them that when they get a silver/bronze medal, they feel they have let their country down! How screwed up is that??

The media in this country are a bunch of tools.

On an unrelated note, awesome 100m final this morning!!
    It's all about expectation/hype. They have history from Beijing and past olympics of performing well. So now it comes out as a disappointment.

I certainly agree with you. No pressure if you are unknown qualifying for a medal. Just look at that 19 year old who made the final. Just to make the final is an achievement for him. No medal expectation from him. Yet everyone is proud of him.

Olympic entertainment

Also the usual complaints about women
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fat-fit...9328--spt.html