Thread: Computer advice needed re P2P file sharing

Question Computer advice needed re P2P file sharing

I'm certain that there are individuals more familiar with IT and computers than I am here on the boards. I have a general working knowledge only and want to branch out into the wild world of P2P file sharing.

At home I have a Mac running with OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) although I'm due to upgrade to Mountain Lion after I do my next backup. My WiFi is via a Billion BiPAC 7800N.

I know next to nothing about my firewall. I'm not running any antivirus software at present.

My questions are:
    - What P2P providers are best? Which ones should I avoid?
    - What is advisable in regards to protecting myself from external unpleasantness?
    - What else do I need to know? Any other advice?

Thanks folks, any questions/comments/experiences welcome.

use a vpn service provider with servers that are not in the US if you're going to do p2p. Essentially, the vpn service provider will let you route your internet connection through one of their servers in order to hide your ip address. See here for more details:

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-pr...iously-111007/

I've little to no experience with Apple products dude, unfortunately ; I would suggest a good Anti-Malware program as being essential and, depending on the P2P Program you're looking to use, forwarding the right ports on your Router (If your Modem/Router makes use of a NAT when connecting to the internet) can makes things a little easier too.

Admittedly, this stems from PC-based experience and might not correspond to that of Apple based systems.

Thanks Chopstick and Hursti. I'm still researching, and after reading that link that Chopstick posted, it seems as I still have a heap to learn.

With regards to a VPN service, what would happen in the event that I have an issue with my internet connection? Would interaction with a VPN affect the contract I have with my ISP? Generally speaking, who would I go to for support (since presumably they are both now involved in my internet connection)?