As I home in on the 1100 mark with my TF figure collection, I’m interested to find out how other TF collectors classify what makes up a ‘figure’. I’ve got a rough guide I use that I have made up over the years:

If it’s sentient then I count the figure as existing in its own right. This includes Headmasters, Powermasters, Targetmasters and human companions.
If it’s a drone or a non-sentient vehicle, then I count is as an accessory and not an independent figure.

DRONE EXAMPLES
*Example: Metroplex
- I count Metroplex as 1 figure
- I count Six-Gun as 1 figure
- I count Scamper as 1 figure
- I DON’T count Slammer as he is a drone so I list it as Metroplex (+ Slammer drone)

So the total count for Metroplex is 3. The likes of Trypticon would only be 1.

*For someone like Crankcase from the Power Core Combiners, even though he comes with 4 other vehicles, I only count it as one toy as the others are drones under his control.

VEHICLE EXAMPLE

*My Action Master vehicles I don’t count, just the bots that drive them.

*The only vehicles I have broken this rule for are my Titanium & DOTM versions of ‘The Ark’, because, well… it’s the Ark! If they make a Nemesis toy would probably make an exception there too.

OTHER STUFF
-I DO count busts and statuette’s as figures.
-I DO count figures like human companions from DOTM, Prime, KRE-O etc
-I have decided as of tonight to count Kremzeek from my MP Starscream as his own figure.
-I DON'T count it if I have a second of the same figure (I have 2 G1 Pipes, 2 G1 Soundwaves but only count 1 of each).
-I DO count it if it is the same figure but with different colouring (most recent example would be 2 slightly different coloured Bot Shots Bumblebee's) or with slight modifications (1984 G1 Prime and 25th Anniversary G1 Prime)

So how do other people go categorizing their collections? Am I a complete oddball who is doing it wrong? Should I be counting every drone and AM Vehicle? Or should I be going the other way and only counting the likes of Spinister with his two Targetmaster companions as 1 toy instead of 3? Or do folk basically do what feels right?

Interested to hear your answers and how you do it

(P.S: Sorry if this thread has been done before, but could not see it anywhere)