Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian toy dealer selling KO toys?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    As noted above, this wasn't to criticise KOs or the people who buy them (some people need them, some people despise them).... this topic was only about a legitimate toy store in Australia, who would face much heftier penalties, is listing fakes as "Reissue", which is an official Transformers product term (making it very deceptive, and illegal, for labelling fake toys with official/registered toy names). People on ebay do it because it is a waste of time prosecuting them, but a registered business is risking big dollar fines, or even jail time.
    If they were clearly listed as KOs or fakes, there wouldn't have been as big a deal about it. It'd still be illegal (especially for a registered business to do it), but it wouldn't be trying to fool customers into thinking it was a real Hasbro product.

(I was just thinking last night - it's ironic to realise that the major toy companies (Lego, Hasbro, Mattel) would more likely prioritise finding ways to prevent people from buying the (cheaper) online toys from other countries, than they would care about stopping MORE illegal counterfeit (vintage) toys sold in Australia, because the sale of those would have no impact on their excessive profits)
    Yeah its still illegal for a registered business....but looks like Uncle Tonys has been proactive and removed them. I hope he gets point with buyers for this.

My Toyworld sold real cheap KO Turtles and even 3rd Party TFs......Sadly the place burnt down.

Wouldn't it have been better contacting this Uncle Tony's shop owner first and highlighting to him that it's not on selling fakes instead of reporting him so quickly?
    He's been quick to pull down the toys from his site as some of you have mentioned.
    I don't support KOs but the reality is, there are quite a few places that openly sell them... are you going to lynch these shops as well?
    Almost all Toyworld stores that I have been to sell KOs... not just KO Transformers, but KO Sylvanian Family toys, KO My little Pony, etc, etc.
    It's endless... especially little local family owned toy stores... even Big-W should a few!
    Some of these owners I've had a chat with sell KOs as an alternative to the pricier originals (yeah, not a good practice but not all parents can afford the real deal for their kids... I think the bulk of collectors here are busting with cash with 2 incomes and no kiddies in tow).
    I don't buy my kids KOs, don't get me wrong... but I understand the needs of some families who do as toys aren't their utmost priority.
    As collectors (much like what Yukitora said), how many can openly say that they've never bought the same toy in duplicate? (I know I have on numerous occasions!)
    Cut these local toy shops some slack... notice something wrong? Tell em first before you report them.
    I'd rather these guys make a living and accept that some KOs fill the toy scene as it's just toys afterall...

Quote Originally Posted by dat70sdude View Post
    As collectors (much like what Yukitora said), how many can openly say that they've never bought the same toy in duplicate? (I know I have on numerous occasions!)
    I can. The only one that comes close is Henkei Hot Rod. But I only bought that because my classics Hot Rod broke and I needed a replacement.

But other than that I have no toys in duplicate. I have no desire to. But that doesn't mean that I hate on people that do. That is what free market capitalism is all about after all. And besides that, a very small number of people buying multiples of a few select molds isn't really going to reduce supply by that much except after that toy has ceased production, but I just attribute that to being too slow. I should have bought it earlier and the inflated prices are my penalty.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Although many had been pulled, when I checked last week there were still insect icon Bombshell and Cyclonus listed. Perhaps they ARE genuine originals, but if so then they are greatly UNDERpriced and this makes me wary.

I normally would have overlooked this and not said anything, but given that it's an Australian seller with a retail presence, and that said KO were not clearly identified and mixed with legitimate Hasbro Takara items, there is a fairly good chance that "average" buyers would be confused, and this might apply to ozformers members as well.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I've noticed this 'toy world' in Victoria has started selling knock off transformers. Specifically Dark of the Moon ones. Only part I don't get is the front of the store doesn't say Toy World, yet the toyworld website lists it as one of it's locations.

Store Location

Is it common for some places to maybe be a toyworld re-seller? Regardless, not worth the trip to this place as the knock offs cost more than the real thing!

I passed that place, it has a black, old looking sign. WE were looking for toyworld.

I was in there today hoping to find the new data discs.

This is one of the KO's sitting next to optimus maximus:

On a better note they had 75% off kreo.