Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When has another TF member inspired you to do something?

Default When has another TF member inspired you to do something?

Damn, just saw Griffsterooney's banner. I was hoping to have a very quiet run for the rest of this year but noooo! Now I'm finding I'm going to have to find another 300 figures to buy this year For the year so far I've acquired 493 TFs which I thought was a lot and was hoping to curb it back a bit. Why? Why?????? WHY????
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post

Damn, just saw Griffsterooney's banner. I was hoping to have a very quiet run for the rest of this year but noooo! Now I'm finding I'm going to have to find another 300 figures to buy this year For the year so far I've acquired 493 TFs which I thought was a lot and was hoping to curb it back a bit. Why? Why?????? WHY????
    I should add "inspired" my tailpipe! I feel like I'm being coerced into this! But I figured I wanted a nicer sounding title
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Not everything's a competition, dear.

Blue Angels hahaha...

Nearly every day on this board!

Sometimes a review or photo inspires me to buy a toy I wasn't going to buy.

Sometimes an comment inspires me to make a tech spec, or a kitbash or a photo comic (still in progress).

And I blame was inspired by members on this board to buy 600 new toys in the last two years!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger
    Not everything's a competition, dear.
    +1 QFT. Also, griffin has spent 25 years continuously building that collection; it's not the same when you just hop on eBay and match him in only a span of a few months. To me, griffin's collection is a testimony to his long and ongoing loyalty and consistent effort as a collector from 1984-2009. Anyone (with the available funds) can go and buy a similar amount of toys in a short span of time, but it doesn't mean the same if you didn't spend a quarter of a century doing it!

So when griffin looks through his collection I imagine that he would have memories of spending 25 years of being an avid fan and dedicated collector, possibly with the "Wonder Years" theme song playing in the background. It's not the same if you scan over that number of toys with just memories of going nuts on eBay. So IMHO griffin's collection isn't really about it's size, it's more about what it represents in terms of his devotion to this hobby. That's something money can't buy.

The journey is more important than the destination. (^_^) Just my 2c.

STL..i think you also got inspired by me to become partial MISB collector

Quote Originally Posted by iceburn View Post
    he inspired me to collect techspecs
    and i hate him for it XD

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Blue Angels hahaha...
    bah! I've already finished that team. There's only five of them though. And curse you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    And I blame was inspired by members on this board to buy 600 new toys in the last two years!
    Curses, you're right! I blame everyone then! Everyone! Every single one of you munchkins! Why do this to me? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    +1 QFT. Also, griffin has spent 25 years continuously building that collection; it's not the same when you just hop on eBay and match him in only a span of a few months. To me, griffin's collection is a testimony to his long and ongoing loyalty and consistent effort as a collector from 1984-2009. Anyone (with the available funds) can go and buy a similar amount of toys in a short span of time, but it doesn't mean the same if you didn't spend a quarter of a century doing it!

So when griffin looks through his collection I imagine that he would have memories of spending 25 years of being an avid fan and dedicated collector, possibly with the "Wonder Years" theme song playing in the background. It's not the same if you scan over that number of toys with just memories of going nuts on eBay. So IMHO griffin's collection isn't really about it's size, it's more about what it represents in terms of his devotion to this hobby. That's something money can't buy.

The journey is more important than the destination. (^_^) Just my 2c.
    You're missing the point! The point is I like Griffsterooney's idea of 2500 in 25 years. There's a certain feel about it historically (well, geekily) that I can say, hey, in the 25th year I had 2500 TFs (not all transforming, mind you but still). Now, that's what I want.

What I gotta figure out now is what figures I want to bring me up to that tally.

Quote Originally Posted by iceburn View Post
    That's partially true too. You probably even remember me not understanding it for a while why u were MISB collecting. Then I started seeing theDamned and Jaydisc's collections and I knew what you were on about.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    he inspired me to collect techspecs
    and i hate him for it XD
    You know you love me for it.
    Last edited by SofaMan; 5th August 2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Abusive language

I like commemorating specific "numbers" in my collection. For example in 2004 as my collection was approaching its 666th Transformer I really wanted to get Energon Megatron as my 666th Transformer. Unfortunately for me the toy couldn't come out soon enough so I settled for second best and got Energon Scorponok instead; so Energon Scorponok is my "devil TF."

My collection count is now on 1310 so I have 27 Transformers to go before I hit my 1337th Transformer, so I'm thinking about which TF I should get as my "1337" ("leet") Transformer. When Animated came out I was thinking about Perceptor, but now that looks unlikely so I'm rethinking. Scalpel perhaps - but not sure if I can wait that long... if I see a Scalpel toy I'll buy it straight away! Unless I refuse to open it until after my 1336th Transformer and count it that way!