View Poll Results: GEN FOC Soundwave - worth buying?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 65.38%
  • Only if...

6 23.08%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

3 11.54%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations FOC Soundwave & Laserbeak

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Because it's $50 for a redo of a figure that was in scale and already pretty nice IMHO.
    Expensive upscaled redos of perfectly-good toys seem to get a lot of excitement in the fandom whenever Hasbro calls it a Masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Expensive upscaled redos of perfectly-good toys seem to get a lot of excitement in the fandom whenever Hasbro calls it a Masterpiece.
    Ha!

Megatron, Starscream and Prime deserved the MP treatment, since their G1 toys were seriously lacking. Soundwave and Grimlock are iconic characters, so yeah, ok...their G1 toys were already pretty good though.

But Sideswipe? GTFO. What a boring generic character for an update.

And Rodimus is a dick. Even the MP toy was a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    And Rodimus is a dick. Even the MP toy was a dick.
    I couldn't agree more
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

From what I've seen in reviews and such it does look a good figure. I'm not certain if the Deluxe needed an upsize, but a good figure none the less.

But it has a seat. A seat. For a someone. Was this some discarded game idea, or something that exists within the game? Could it have been a Transmetals 2 "pilot" inspired thing?

Best thing about this is Laserbeak and the future "discs" (Ravage, F&R, Ratbat) because they are essentially Activators. Place the disc (button faced down for best effect) press on the disc and voila LASERBEAK!

Only complaint is that the chest "hole" is a little tight for the disc to fit so the ejecting gimmick doesn't work on mine. Anyone else find this? Also, nothing to clip Laserbeak with on Soundwave.

Soundwave himself is really neat in bot mode. Big, brash and a good facsimilie, if a little disproportionate to the videogame. Conversion is easy but the alt mode is a tad disappointing. It's too boxy and just messy.

Original WFC Soundwave still edges this out for me, but the disc minions is definitely edged out fromt he original. Also, Soundwave is properly Voyager sized, not the scout size of the deluxes.

Bring on the other disc sets!

Quote Originally Posted by snazzbot 101 View Post
    From what I've seen in reviews and such it does look a good figure. I'm not certain if the Deluxe needed an upsize, but a good figure none the less.

But it has a seat. A seat. For a someone. Was this some discarded game idea, or something that exists within the game? Could it have been a Transmetals 2 "pilot" inspired thing?
    Maybe Frenzy or Rumble will be able to sit in it and man the gun...?

Seems odd and does ruin the smooth look of the original vehicle.

My best interpretation of his "boom box" alt.

You can swing his arms up to form a bulky looking handle too.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I picked up Soundwave today. Had the choice of either version, but went with Soundwave. I will admit that the mold does look better in black though.

I'm surprised at how big Laserbeak is. He's much bigger than I was expecting. I don't know where my Booster X-10 is, and my memory could be wrong, but I reckon they're about the same size.

I haven't opened it yet though. I don't think I actually like the look of the mold that much. I think I prefer the WFC version, despite the drawback of no companions.

The size of the chest on this figure is ludicrous. He wouldn't be able to describe what his feet look like...

It's just not doing much for me.

It looks better in the Soundblaster version, but I don't think I'm that enthused by it. I'm starting to think I'm over the FOC designs.

If I get the other Recordicons that'll hopefully spur my interest, but as of right now (and again it's still unopened, and I do open everything) it's just not doing much for me.

Posted this in Soudblasters thread, but really fairly relevant here too:

Firstly, he is a charcoal colour, not actually black, but it looks good with the unpainted grey plastic. I am thinking of getting some silver sharpies to do the grey in silver. I am also a sucker for the translucent pink plastic wheels.

This toy is fun. Easy and intuitive transformation (other than the roof/gimmick projectile shooter/firing chair) that clips together simply and holds together very well. Wheels roll perfectly fine for plastic, and as they are hollow make a funny sound on timber.

Toy is built around the gimmick of the deployable "cassettes" and they designers have done a pretty decent job to get a fun robot and vehicle mode around it. The way the figures are deployed (the chest is so deep, I wonder if he can hold more than two cassettes at a time). Buzzsaw needs some coercion to fit in, but nothing that concerns me. Ejection shoots Buzzsaw pretty far, but the quick conversion does not always activate unless a solid impact is made with a hard surface.

Buzzsaw is brilliant, easy conversion to and from each mode, and is a wonderful gold/green colour with a brown/chocolate contrast and silver on the wings. You'll spend plenty of time converting him back and forth.

My Soundblaster has one leg on backwards (the Knee on his left side faces the wrong way) but it does not affect the toy in any shape or form, and since the joints are nice strong ratcheting joints I do not really feel any need to try and fix it.

Overall a great toy, something fun and different, simple but not overly so. I am seriously considering getting Soundwave, even though i own the deluxe version. Also a must buy for those interested in the Cassetticons.

Oh and no Prime gun!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

i dont mind this guy, the gimmick is cool, my disk gets stuck tho and had to gently pry it ot.. might neet to shave a few bumps off..

i am more disapointed he didnt come with a weapon.. like the one from FOC that is based of his classic styled gun... he looks incomplete with now weapon...

other then that, worth the sale price not te full retail price!!
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy