Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fruits Basket... Anime on free to air

The thing is... it's SBS! Almost everything else they show is subbed... why not all their anime?? If kids want to watch anime dubbed, that's what Toasted TV or CheezTV etc. is for. I thought SBS was about celebrating cultural and linguistic diversity, not hegemonically crushing it with dubs.

In any case, I refuse to watch anything dubbed (unless it's purely for the novelty, and I will have always watched it in its original language first -- like I have The Fellowship of the Ring dubbed in German, which I've seen once or twice. Every other time I watch that film it's in (mostly) English). If SBS keep airing dub-monkeyed anime, I'll continue to not watch it. In the case of Furuba, I've had it on DVD for years anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    So yeah... I don't access fan subs (I just watch my anime raw )
    I would really like to know more Japanese by the next time I visit Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    They are dubbed. And the sbs ones I used to watch were dubbed too. I suspect the reason the NHK news is raw is too much of a pain to add subs/dubs for every day. Especially since most people that would watch them are most likely speakers of Japanese anyway. Although I do like watching the russian news...
    Russia Today rocks Along with Keiser Report and most Cross Talks

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The thing is... it's SBS! Almost everything else they show is subbed... why not all their anime?? If kids want to watch anime dubbed, that's what Toasted TV or CheezTV etc. is for. I thought SBS was about celebrating cultural and linguistic diversity, not hegemonically crushing it with dubs.

In any case, I refuse to watch anything dubbed (unless it's purely for the novelty, and I will have always watched it in its original language first -- like I have The Fellowship of the Ring dubbed in German, which I've seen once or twice. Every other time I watch that film it's in (mostly) English). If SBS keep airing dub-monkeyed anime, I'll continue to not watch it. In the case of Furuba, I've had it on DVD for years anyway.
    I'm not going to get drawn into this conversation yet again... I remember going to a lecture on anime and how the atom bomb had effected the creators thoughts of Japanese stories. The guy did a good lecture using the scene from Totoro when the tree grows and had a valid point.

the time came for questions and discussion and all too soon it deteriorated into the subbed vs dubbed argument. Whenever anime discussion comes up, it soon devolves into subbed vs dubbed and no discussion can be done. Which is why I avoid hard core anime watchers. All these people who refuse to watch dubbed anime... Get over it.

I watched Wild Wild west in Japanese and it was more interesting than in English! At the time, I knew very little Japanese though!

Alright, let's move away from the subs vs dubs argument.....

It's SBS -- a TV station which is, in their words, "Australia's multicultural and multilingual broadcaster." whose stated purpose is "to provide multilingual and multicultural radio and television services that inform, educate and entertain all Australians and, in doing so, reflect Australia's multicultural society."

I find the idea of screening dubbed anime to go completely against the spirit of what SBS is supposed to represent as a TV station that is meant to endorse, support and encourage multiculturalism in Australia. I don't object to other TV channels showing shows dubbed (I don't like it, but I accept it). What I'm finding objectionable is how SBS - a station whose mission statement is the provision of multilingualism and multiculturalism - is happy to show anime dubbed. But almost everything else they show is subbed. In doing so they're not even consistently sticking to their own standards. When I flick to SBS I expect to watch films and shows broadcast in their original language(s)... yet for some reason, they've made an exemption for anime.

At any rate, we all vote with our remotes here... if you're happy to watch dubs on SBS, go for it. I refuse, so I won't be tuning in.

Fruit basket was indeed a strange anime when i watched it.

Noticed people talking about subbed and dubbed, i enjoy each equally depending on the anime. DBZ for me needs to be english dubbed, as i find goku's voice irritating in japanese, where as anime such as GTO, bleach and naruto should be viewed in japanese with sub as to the translation of the dialogue does not differ too much when its dubbed. Also the japanese voices in those anime are more enjoyable.

Anime such as death note, code geass and full metal alchemist can be watched either way, (which i have). That is just my personal preference.

Honourable mention to Cowboy Bebop and Trigun

As for the whole subbed dubbed thing for anime I guess I prefer the english dub, probably because I only speak english lol. In the begining I think SBS used Evangelion and Bubblegum Crisis in English dubs to help boost ratings. But for the last couple of years all anime movies have been in Japanese with english subs. Even movies they once showed dubbed (Ghost in the Shell). I guess they're keeping it in Japanese these days to stick to the channels multicultural theme.

Anime sort of died off for a couple of years in the mainstream and it was only the more cartoon styled anime that was being aired on TV in the mornings. But now with ABC2 and ABC3 airing anime aimed at an older audience, teens and older... hell Voltron Vehicle is almost 30 years old, I'm hoping it'll reignite a lot of peoples interest in anime.

I find kids are still into anime... they just don't watch it off TV but obtain it through "other means" i.e. similar to how many of us are watching the latest eps of TF Prime atm I don't have a problem with people downloading stuff to watch so long as that stuff isn't available in Australia, e.g. TF Prime Season 2. Once it becomes available then they should desist and consider purchasing. I watched TF Prime Season 1 off YouTube, then bought the DVD box set when that came out. And I'll buy Season 2 on DVD when that comes out. I see the ethical use of downloading as "try before you buy," but it shouldn't be abused to the point where you're just building a collection of anime through downloads without purchasing it. Having said that, it's what students often do because they can't afford to purchase every anime title out there that they want.

I do watch stuff dubbed sometimes, but it's for the novelty of it. Like watching the US G1 episodes or Transformers The Movie dubbed in Japanese. I actually prefer the voice of Japanese Starscream over Chris Latta's voice. He has a deeper and more menacing voice in Japanese and not all screechy like Latta's Starscream. Japanese Wheelie is less annoying (but still annoying) than Frank Welker's, simply because he doesn't speak in stupid rhymes all the time. But despite this, I still view the original Anglophone version of those episodes as superior to the Japanese dubs, and I usually watch it in English. Although I must say -- the best thing I like about the Japanese dubs of G1... Frenzy is blue and Rumble is red, just like the toys!! (thus one great thing about talking TFs with Japanese fans is that you NEVER have stupid FIRRIB debates*! )

Btw, does anyone know if the new remastered G1 DVDs have subtitles? Cos I think sometimes people can underestimate one of the important roles that subtitles play, as best summed up by one IRC chat I witnessed between a TF fan and a Madman Entertainment rep:

TF-fan> Why don't your G1 Transformer DVDs have subtitles?

Madman> Transformers G1 was originally recorded in English. They don't need subtitles.

TF-fan> I'm deaf.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Because it doesn't matter which side of the debate you're on, we're _all_ sick to death of it!