Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Sightings Section idea

Having read all posts with no prior opinion (but knowing it'll be a minefield) i have been swayed by griffin's argument. We should not be an alarm clock for non or silent members.

Now about reserving stock.. while we can help and list sightings, i feel reserving alot of stock is a poor idea - one that leaves us stripping a store and looking just like scaplers.
    Last edited by Deonasis; 11th November 2012 at 10:47 AM.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trailer Park Ninja View Post
    I'm not sure I agree 100% with a sealed sightings section albeit temporary for a high demand figure. On the flipside, I don't like it if people here have been to a store and keep the info to themselves but utilise our intelligence info and then cry foul about being restricted to the sightings section.

As much as we can say we are not being elitist, the behaviour of a sealed section, or reserving multiples for the benefit of others here is being elitist not matter how well-intentioned. Who am I to deprive someone else of one who I don't even know?

Yes, this may be the most prominent Transformers collector forum locally. But there are other local action figure collectors forums out there also posting transformers sightings. What's to say we ain't competing with these collectors?

Additionally, I know of people who collect action figures but don't belong or participate in any online forums. They are happy to collect what they want and aren't that into the whole pop culture aspect. Does it make them less worthy of having fair chance at one?

This issue seems to more prolific with the high priced adult collectors figures like Masterpiece where it seems to be a scalper issue.

However, I heard the same thing when FOC figures came out. Yeah I couldn't see them in stores but maybe this was a Hasbro or retailer issue. When the few that did appear went quickly, could this be a case of a short packed shipment? I managed to get a Shockwave figure after enough visits.

But even before they started appearing in more supply in stores I could get one for a $25 plus shipping from a reputable local ebay dealer way before retail.

I can't see why you would even bother trying to buy multiples to try and make a profit. The expense going from TRU to TRU would eat up any profit margin.

I just think the MP figures are considered high-end Collector's items in the eyes of TRU and a big shipment of these isn't worth the risk. They are not as recognisable as the movie or maybe the cartoon merchandise.

I compare the issue of hard to purchase Masterpiece Transformers like the limited Nike re-releases of Air Jordans. These are released at select Footlockers stores and unless you line up at 3am the day before, you got buckley's chance of getting one.

I find it hard to believe they can only ship out 20 pairs of shoes NATIONALLY. May be it's the same with Masterpiece figures and TRU?

You got sidetracked here.

If collectors don't use this board, then this proposal makes no difference to them.

And the core proposal just means they don't see actual sightings. They will still see the headers, front page articles, acquisitions etc.

It does not impair anybody's ability to obtain the relevant figure. It just means they will no longer be able to use other people's work without contribution. They just have to make those phone calls themselves.

If they're on another board , then it'll still be on there. It'll still be on other boards too.

It stops no-one. It doesn't make it harder for them. It just means they have to do the work that this community was previously doing for them.

It's not relevant if they're a collector, a kid, or a scalper. What's relevant is that they were using the collective output of this board for their own benefit, without desire to contribute themselves, to join in the board.

Lets keep this on target, and not get swayed by tangents.

Sure thing dude

I think the tangents are relevant by the way

I guess if people post up info, its risky to post specifics as you have just tipped off all the competition! lurkers and non-members, and members. I don't know it just seems like common sense. But if everyone was vague the sightings would almost be all copy and paste, and potentially boring to look at.

A post recently helped me to get a FOC Shockwave. But thankfully the retailer stocking these has several boxes, so they really have plenty of stock. But the problem with said figure is that its rare, and only exists in one wave. We cant avoid this, there will always be rare figures. Its really comes down to a supply and demand. The demand is high for new figures, but sightings increase demand even further, we end up all competing. You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

I guess a secret sightings forum will be a valuable tool to give members an edge over the non-member competition. It may give members a chance to get in first to secure those rare and limited items. Id prefer retailers to have enough stock but sometimes they will get it wrong, and some figures will always be short packed.

Doesn't really affect me as I pretty much have to import everything because I live in Ballarat, BUT this idea seems a bit wrong to me. Yes I read all the posts in this thread but I really just think you would be limiting your online google presence by hiding the section. And who is to say what figures would be hard to get here? Sometimes we get world first releases and other times we miss wave after wave (I'm looking at you TF Prime). And that's my cent and a half

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

Rank 5 and above...

(I periodically go through the member listings and upgrade people every few months, so don't feel left out if you think you should have it... I may not have had a chance to do it for a while)
    No problem dude, im just happy to be part of a cool community. I was just letting others know that if they are a good part of that community it will come
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Interesting topic and read, there are obvious pros and cons to both sides of the argument here.
    I for one am excited when I spot something new at retail (whether it be common or super rare), if I can share that sighting and have someone use that info to make a purchase and share that excitement, than who cares who they are?? We are all here because we love transformers, why starve others of the joy we have in collecting?
    That is why I post sightings (although I live in Bundaberg and maybe no from here uses it)
    But in saying that I can also understand the reasoning as to why some would like this implemented.

I noticed someone mentioned reserving toys instore for members, i don't think this is actually that bad of an idea. Maybe create a group order for each particular local store, with someone just putting a reservation for how many members is actually intending to go in and pick up their toy from that particular store. Reservation should be on the day within a timespan of 2-3hrs, holding it for 24hrs or more is definately scummy. Oppose to the original idea of reserving the complete lot of stock using a certain name/code for pick up.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trailer Park Ninja View Post
    Sure thing dude
    I actually meant that post in a more general sense. It looks a bit targeted, but I was going off what you'd written as posts summing up others' thoughts.

And really, is this going to be for anything other than MP's?

And it may be done for the next one, only to see TRU has got their act together.

It may only be used once.

Did you get Shockie from Carindale, Def? I thought you'd mentioned not having him. I almost picked one up for you just to be sure, but then realised that there's a dozen cases, and they'll have these for the next year at least.

It would be nice if we could re-establish some old bonds with the companies though. TRU used to be awesome to deal with, from a site I used to be part of. This was years ago though. I fell out of touch as I got less free time for hobbies, and started doing all my ordering from overseas: HLJ and BBTS.

I'm eager to put forward a presentation to them. Hopefully establish a mutually beneficial relationship for us: something that can benefit all parties.

That way we can sidestep this sort of thing completely.

I think I made the pont there about this being only an issue with Masterpiece releases, every other line isn't an issue.

There was talk of scalpers but I really don't see it. TRU and other retailers can buy boatloads of boxes of the deluxe figures etc, they ain't going to buy an equally plentiful supply of MPs.

So short supply, high demand.

I do agree with your latter point, I think as a niche group we could approach TRU to get a Collectors Club started to preorder purchases for forthcoming releases. I'm sure they would welcome some guaranteed sales, have less people ringing them numerous times a day etc