Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Sightings Section idea

It's also been an issue for the MP's cause of sales and voucher discounts. If it wasn't for them, there would be more chances for people to pick up one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailer Park Ninja View Post
    I do agree with your latter point, I think as a niche group we could approach TRU to get a Collectors Club started to preorder purchases for forthcoming releases. I'm sure they would welcome some guaranteed sales, have less people ringing them numerous times a day etc
    Now that is a great idea - suits us, suits TRU. Win/Win!

I think it's worth a try to introduce to them a segment of the market they haven't really captured or been aware of. That is, the adult collector.

Most of their activities are geared towards the kiddies and/or mums and dads to draw in sales e.g. Halloween or superhero costume days, colouring in competitions etc.

Now with TRU stepping online purchasing from their website for select toy lines, it shouldn't be that hard to put a section up on the website for Transformers. Considering we're in the know with upcoming TF releases, we'd be a great sounding bound for demand of certain figures, we could contribute toy reviews etc or provide some content.

But it needn't be this elaborate, even if we could have an account as a Collectors club to pre-order and set aside TF releases (mostly MP I would think) this would benefit both parties greatly.

But really what's in it for them is some nice pre-order sales without any marketing effort on their part, better inventory management and planning, less resources used with floor staff being pulled from registers, shelf re-filling etc running around with people on the phone, in-store etc.

For us, we get the figures we want guaranteed, have less frustration and aggravation on going from different TRU stores wasting time, petrol and money and not cannibalizing the stock so someone here misses out.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

TRU used to have a pretty good relationship with adult collectors. Connected to Hasbro's active involvement.

Then there was some 'unpleasantness' some years ago. As a result they retreated, and placed some people/boards on an 'embargo' list.

After reading through this thread I don't think a secret section is really needed.

There are a lot of valid points people have made, but to me it seems like it'd be overkill.

The sighting thread has been helpful to me a few times... and I just accept that when i post in it, it's viewable to many people.... not just otca members.

Just my two cents...

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Another reason I am sometimes a bit worried about sightings is stuff like this if I have one held for me. http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...6&postcount=15

Sure, the proposed section wouldn't eliminate this possibility, but it would make me more comfortable posting that that item is in. (Again only for the rare item type proposed)

The other alternative to a secret sighting section would be if someone finds something, they hold all or. Then send out pm's to people who have shown interest letting them know they're in.
    Would need a code word though, so people can't claim other peoples hold.

I have much bigger issues with holding toys than I do with a secret sightings section. Yes it's keeping scalpers from buying them, but it's also unfairly keeping anyone else from doing so. Whoever gets to the shelves first should have a chance to buy the toys, whether they be Ozformers, parents, kids or other. Putting toys on hold (particularly by phone) is almost as bad as hiding them.

Decepticon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    I have much bigger issues with holding toys than I do with a secret sightings section. Yes it's keeping scalpers from buying them, but it's also unfairly keeping anyone else from doing so. Whoever gets to the shelves first should have a chance to buy the toys, whether they be Ozformers, parents, kids or other. Putting toys on hold (particularly by phone) is almost as bad as hiding them.
    Putting a bunch of toys on hold for other people is just as bad as scalping.
    I don't contribute to the forum much but I do visit and read the threads 3-4 times a day. i am an ordinary collector. Stopping people who are ranked poorly like me from viewing sightings is quite bizarre as you are not doing the forum any favours. And by the way, it can work both ways...I have sighted heaps of things at certain places here in Perth as I travel around as part of my job. If I can't see what's been sighted elsewhere, why should I tell others where things are.

there is really no need for secret sightings, i like how we advertise stuff to help others doesnt matter if they are noobies or veterens or even scalpers..,

i guess toy collecting is alot like survival of the fittest..
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy