Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformer Collector Tech Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    Just to clarify, I like 'elegant' transformations. Doesn't need to be simple...just well thought out.
    E.g. Cybertron Downshift & Movie Optimus are 2 examples of what I'm talking about.
    I was only playing. However, you may be on to something. Perhaps we can ditch complexity and simplicity in favor of a more generic "Quality of Transformation" or just "Transformation" allowing you to weigh how important the transformation is....

EDIT: The problem is that we lose objectiveness, i.e. I'd be curious to hear what you rate Ironhide vs. Ratchet in that area.

FURTHER EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    You stole one of my columns!
    That'd be 3 now

And, I didn't steal. I beat you to it!

FURTHER EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    However I have a gut feeling that the total scores wouldn't be that comparable.
    Only to ourselves, not amongst each other.
    Last edited by jaydisc; 4th July 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    That'd be 3 now

And, I didn't steal. I beat you to it!
    True. But yours is different to mine. I was actually just going to examine the criteria and look at how each criteria weigh with different segments of collectors so it's not really stealing.

That makes it 2

I should add I really dig the premise. It'd be great to start from what I've got now but I don't think I could stomach going thru my entire collection to do it.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Jaydisc, is it possible u can put this into a program for me (cos my DB is on my PC which has no net connection)? The more I think of this, the more I'd love a version of this for myself.
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

Absolutely. If you keep your collection in a spreadsheet or database, you could assign scores for your criteria to each figure. Then, elsewhere on the spreadsheet, you could have YOUR criteria to use for weighing the scores. Later on, if you decided that your personal evaluation criteria had changed, your figures' scores would auto-update.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Absolutely. If you keep your collection in a spreadsheet or database, you could assign scores for your criteria to each figure. Then, elsewhere on the spreadsheet, you could have YOUR criteria to use for weighing the scores. Later on, if you decided that your personal evaluation criteria had changed, your figures' scores would auto-update.
    That's absolutely awesome. It'd mean a slight reworking of my DB but i love the whole concept and how personalised it is. See, I'm not a ludite!

Thumbs up

How would you represent a strong liking for both realistic modes and Cybertronian modes? Then there are the multiple value criteria... is the local store price good? Is the online price good? Is the aftermarket price good? I know that the official price tag or price point on a toy doesn't affect how good I think the toy itself is, but I will go to certain lengths to get the deepest discount I can.

Regarding the realism, I tend to tilt it more towards detail - it doesn't matter if the core vehicle exists, as long as it doesn't look like a half-sucked jellybean.

I'd also make a distinction between clever, elegant complexity (Masterpiece), and complexity for complexity's sake (some of the Alternators).

That said:

ALT 8
    CLA 4
    CPX 7
    SIM 2
    CHA 2
    FIC 4
    SIZ 2
    $$$ 9 if personal buying, 0 if considering official price points
    GMK 1
    ORI 8

Whoa, I got 404 for Mudflap. That's a high score, I think. still working it out...

Bulkhead got 395.

But for these stats we can't rate the criteria ourselves, right? Only our preferences.

Mine are:

realism: 8
    nostalgia: 10
    compexity: 8
    simplicity: 2
    fiction_accuracy : 7
    articulation: 10
    scale: 9
    price: 7
    play_value: 10
    originality: 6
    Last edited by STL; 10th July 2008 at 01:05 AM.

404 does seem like a high score (or a common internet error ), but it all depends on what your average score should be based on your personal specs. I've added a blurb at the bottom of the comparison to show this to the user.

It would be easy enough for me to enable for you to adjust the comparative figure's stats as well. I'll try to add this tonight.

GRRRR.... I was typing this up and then the board stuffed me up and I couldn't recover what I typed!! Here goes again....

I gave a lot of thought to the criteria and decided to break the criteria into three main categories as below. Duplication of criteria was one of the first things that sprung to mind but I think I can justify that b/c for instance play value in alt mode can be not enhanced in alt mode by cyber keys such as with Galaxy Force Starscream where his blades contribute very little. On Cybertron Defence Scattorshot, the play value is enhanced in both modes by the planet key gimmick. However with CD Scattershot, he's also got mini-con ports in alt mode which are pretty damn cool. Nostalgia can be justified twice too b/c say with Cybertron Downshift, the alt mode says nothing about nostalgia but the head sculpt in robot mode does.

I also particularly like having the 3 major categories b/c it offers the opportunity to rank your toys according to what stands out about them. For instance, a toy like Animated Blackarachnia has a very meh transformation but stellar robot mode. Cybertron Evac for me would have an average alt mode b/c of the gaps but score highly in both transformation and robot mode. So this gives me a wonderful option to know why I like the toys that I do.

I added durability b/c certain toys are more prone to wear and will require replacement or modding in the long run. BWs and Animated toys come to mind especially here.

I also added paint applications which I'm not entirely sure about. The reason I added it is b/c paint apps don't necessary always go to cartoon accuracy or realism. They can be merely details that enhance your enjoyment of a toy. I'm thinking here especially the upcoming Classics 2.0 (Universe), Henkei and, in the past, Superlink/Galaxy Force. For collectors like me w/ Japanese and Hasbro versions it really makes sense.

Alt Mode
    - Nostalgia:
    - Gimmicks:
    - Play Value:
    - Realism:
    - Scale:

Robot Mode:
    - Nostalgia:
    - Gimmicks:
    - Play Value:
    - Scale:
    - Articulation:

Transformation:
    - Complexity
    - Originality:

Fiction Accuracy:
    Character Appeal:
    Paint Applications:
    Durability:
    Price:

Thoughts? Or do i just have too much time to kill?

You've entered your rating as a toy. When I follow that link, I get:

"Based on your specs, an average figure would earn 305 points. LCZ128 scores 403. We anticipate that you will like this figure."