Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When collecting TFs becomes a selfish obsession...

Default When collecting TFs becomes a selfish obsession...

Not finger-pointing about anyone here, I'm all good about Animated Jetfire & Jetstorm now, but just my thoughts about all these craze on rushing off to get all the new TFs.

I admit I was fairly upset a couple of times by the boys, but for some funny reason last night it finally hit a spark, I was cursing & complaining to my boyfriend. (Probably also because Animated is one of my favourite series and also because Jay and Stompy were on my usual contact list, yet I wasn't asked if I wanted it too, so that kinda hurt me.)

When I sight something new, I always get all excited and send a mass SMS to all the Melbournian guys whom I have numbers of (regardless of your location). 25th Anniversary prime at Myer, Universe Specials at Docklands etc. And if I get a request to buy something, I'll certainly do so unless I'm broke. But even if I AM broke, but because you are "a hundred ks" away from that store, I will surely get the item for you. Just a PLEASE MEL would melt my heart. Otherwise I hide it somewhere between some toys and tell u the location so you can still get it.

Anyway sometimes I just think, do we all get so selfish that we just get the new TFs for ourselves or "our gang" and don't bother about whether other members or other fans out there are able to have it. I admit when I see something new and there's just one set, of course it's finders keepers.

But I don't do so all the time. Just a couple of examples:
    - TRU Comic 2-Packs, I was the one who spotted the set hidden high up on top of the shelves. It was all mine to keep, but Icy and DD were both looking for it, so in the end I thought to myself "Never mind, I can wait, to be fair they can each have one" and so they each took 1 pack and me zilch. Probably because that set itself wasn't something on my "MUST HAVE IT NOW!" list, so I was okay to wait.
    - Spotted and bought Acid Storm and let Icy have it first as well.

Also when a new TF item is out and quite a few people are looking for it, I won't even think of keeping doubles or triples or heaps. Isn't OTCA supposed to be a sharing community on TFs? How is this so if you find new stuff and buy extras for yourself while other people out there are still looking for it? I'm not gonna be hypocritical because I keep some doubles too. But I only buy 1 first and let others have the rest. When I find some more in future, then I'll get extras.

Scooping everything off the shelves seems a bit something like a "scalper behavior". Fair enough you don't sell them for profits but you only get for a selective group. Maybe just maybe once a while you sacrifice and let others have the item first and get one for yourself later? I'm sure not every item is on your "MUST HAVE IT NOW" list? Anyways just my 2 cents worth, as mentioned again NOT pint pointing at anyone. I just feel it should all be about sharing and giving in this TFs community because we all have the same interest.

On another note, I am also very upset that some people have indirectly "chased" Pulsey away.Yes he can post silly things sometime but it's those that bring a laugh or two to us. Many of you out there probably have at least a free TF given by him. I don't think he breaks any of the rules here, he just likes to post silly and funny stuff sometimes. Anyway I was grateful he spent about half an hour last night coaxing me to calm down about the JF & JS matter. Missing him on the board...

Anyway it's just my rambling on Pulse, so please don't comment anything about the matter here. Thanks.
    Last edited by JuzMel; 10th December 2008 at 03:50 PM.
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Oh Mel...I feel really bad now. Sorry...

I've stopped collecting TFs for the time being, since I don't want to inadvertently ruin a kid's Christmas by buying the last Grimlock or something. I made an exception for Universe Triceradon, since that figure isn't made anymore, so no-one (read: children) would want it for Christmas.

Also, so I can buy stuff for other people using the money not spent on TFs. Also also so I don't end up having an awful experience under the tree when I get something I already have.

I am very selective when it comes to toy collecting so I don't automatically rush out and buy whatever is on the shelves as more than half of it doesn't appeal to me for many reasons.

However when I do see something that I know someone else is after I do call them or at least point them in the right direction.

When you contacted me about wanting the Comic 2 packs I was going to get them for you but Pulse beat me to it which was fine.

I agree that it is selfsih to hoard lots of the same toy for no reason or someone not returning you the favor when it comes to sightings and the like when you have made the effort for them in the past but don't let that get to you too much as they are only toys that will very likely end up on the shelves anyway but I understand what upsetted you.

Thanfully the community as a whole is actually very good at working together when it comes to exchanging TFs and sharing toy sightings. When it comes to NSW, we have been very good at getting stuff for each other although many NSW guys have been mostly interested in imports than the stuff you find on the shelves.
    Last edited by kup; 10th December 2008 at 11:34 AM.

Mel....nobody has forgotten you. it's sometimes the opportunity and cashflow that restricts someone that spotted something new on the shelf to obtain all stocks for every single member.

We have already posted our acquisitions and sightings so that will help other local members to find stuff easier too. We have the Melbourne Missionaries section that does list out what each member desire and although it's gone much bigger now than originally intended...each of us still tries to help. You also have to note that the Melbourne fan-based has also increased and we can't pick everything for everyone.

Just take it easy...enjoy the collecting of TFs as kup has said and if we miss out on some stuff...there are always other times and hope that the person will remember you. REMEMBER: Forgive and forget....
    Last edited by iceburn; 10th December 2008 at 11:43 AM.

I thought jay already explained himself quite well and he'll make sure to specifically include Mel directly next time.

And I was wondering why Pulse seems to have disappeared in the last few days. He was always very active and vocal about things. Oh well I won't comment on things I have no idea of. Just hope all can kiss and make up.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Just hope all can kiss and make up.
    Ok everyone make a line in front of me and pucker up.....but no tongue.

Seriously though guys...we are all here together enjoying the same obsession. We should ALL work together to make things easier on each other and life better in general through posting pleasantly and acquisitional assistance.
    The general IQ in this place is relatively high but that needs to be translated across into social and emotional intelligence as well so we don't have negativity and condescension bringing any of us down.

I know I have personally been no angel in the past but I am working hard to redeem this as I've had the revelation that happiness is infective and life is just too short to be narky, pissy or negative with each other as most of us interact a lot on these boards (except that antisocial bastard Demonac. (jk))

Be good to each other please.

Ahhhh, I finally worked out what you meant by S.E.L.F.I.S.H:

Started Melbourne Missionaries
    Eagerly drives thousands of KM's around Melbourne in search of toys for all
    Loves purchasing for others (even out of state)
    Fairly and transparently manages large group orders
    Is constantly posting sightings
    Seeks to improve the effectiveness of sightings (VIC Sightings)
    Hosts meets at his own home

Aww, thanks Mel

Three cheers for Jay, the most selfish Ozformer going around

North Melbourne-bot...?

Jay is a very great member, he has helped me get alot of things much like everyone.
    Sometimes mistakes happens, can't blame them for forgetting sometimes.