Thread: (JAN-2013) Gen1 Comics - Comments and reviews

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    If you have the comics, have a refresher read and tell us a bit about it.

Are they worth buying after all this time, and what is good or bad about them.

Are there any specific issues or stories you'd recommend to others?

How do they compare to the current era of Transformers comics?
    I don't actually own any original G1 comics but I have seen/read various issues in bits and pieces. All I will say is that overall, I really don't like them. I don't like many of the characterizations nor the story lines.

The only reason I'd actually buy them is for their value as collectibles, some of the 'pictures'... and because I'm a completist.

It's hard to recommend any story or issue in particular because you never know what people may like/not like, which may be different to what you like/do not like.

How do they compare gainst the current era of comics? They don't, really. But considering the era that they are from, that's to be expected.

Are they worth buying after all this time, and what is good or bad about them.
    - Are they worth buying after all this time? In my opinion, only if you've got nothing else to do with your money.
    - The Good: Really made some characters shine! The comics rescued the character of Grimlock after what Season 3 of the cartoon did to him. It promoted some characters like Bludgeon who were just a run of the mill toy to someone who we are still enjoying the adventures of to this day.
    - The Bad: The storylines were not hugely in-depth and half the time they just seemed to be coming up with an adventure to show the new toys that were out. The art was ok for its day, but certainly not great.

Are there any specific issues or stories you'd recommend to others?
    -I liked the comic arc of 'Primal Scream' - introduced us to the character of Primus which has become central to the mythology that has come since.

How do they compare to the current era of Transformers comics?

- Honestly? They were great for their day, but if you went into a comic store, had never read a TF comic and saw the IDW ones sitting next to the Marvel ones, which would you pick? Modern comics all the way baby!