Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253040 ... LastLast

Thread: Titan Class METROPLEX

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    I see your RK $170 and raise you $135 @ anime export.

As a rule of thumb I always check different sites for the best possible price.
    Never even heard of anime export. You dealt with them before? Not a bad price to get Metroplex for.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink90210 View Post
    Speaking for myself, you've pretty much hit it on the head - he's a the "big city Transformer" which I never imagined I could ever own. It's got nothing to do with engineering or the character, it's the perception that he was mythically huge (I grew up in Malaysia and don't recall ever seeing it in person in my youth).
    Hope that helps
    Fair enough Was just curious how someone could get so excited for an unreleased toy and compare it to one that has been around for nearly 30 years and widely considered the 'grail' of Transformers collecting. I think that they're both great in their own right.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Fair enough Was just curious how someone could get so excited for an unreleased toy and compare it to one that has been around for nearly 30 years and widely considered the 'grail' of Transformers collecting. I think that they're both great in their own right.
    I have a Fortress Maximus but think its a big pile of garbage because its a brick. But I still have it in my collection because I 'need' a Cityformer. Metroplex on the other hand is my 'must have' (can't be any worse than a 30 year old brick) due to modern looks and engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    I have a Fortress Maximus but think its a big pile of garbage because its a brick. But I still have it in my collection because I 'need' a Cityformer. Metroplex on the other hand is my 'must have' (can't be any worse than a 30 year old brick) due to modern looks and engineering.
    Bit cheaper too
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Bit cheaper too
    That's an unfortunate carry over from Hasbro saving on R&D and materials. The price isn't too bad either

i understand the lack of joints on FM can be annoying but he is still a great piece of design and engineering (particularly citymode and the headheadmaster-ness). Yes Generations Metroplex is big and poseable but neither alt modes seems superior to his original toy or the Fort Max citymode.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    i understand the lack of joints on FM can be annoying but he is still a great piece of design and engineering (particularly citymode and the headheadmaster-ness). Yes Generations Metroplex is big and poseable but neither alt modes seems superior to his original toy or the Fort Max citymode.
    It's superior in my eyes cos it new and modern.

Yep, it definately is those things. I think they are both great, my tiny gripe with new Metroplex is how his hands remain visible in every mode but i can overlook it especially if more cityformers appear.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I have a Fortress Maximus but think its a big pile of garbage because its a brick.
    It's a G1 toy, what did you expect? Transformers as articulated action figures didn't come along until mid-late G2, and wasn't standardised until Beast Wars.

But I still have it in my collection because I 'need' a Cityformer. Metroplex on the other hand is my 'must have' (can't be any worse than a 30 year old brick) due to modern looks and engineering.

Remember that when comparing a modern toy with an older one, one needs to evaluate them in context of the time that the toy was originally created/released. I fail to see the logic of comparing old school designed toys with modern day standards.

When looking at older toys, I think it's pertinent to examine them in the context of their day. How many G1 toys did you honestly look at - at the time of their initial release - hold it in your hands and think, "Gee this is an utter failure of a toy!" I don't know about you, but when I was collecting G1 during the 1980s/90s, for the most part I would get a new toy and thought it was just excellent! By G1 standards as an action figure Fortress Maximus was pretty ordinary, I'll give you that. Of all the 1987 Headmasters, Fort Max has the most simplistic transformation into his modes. Scorponok and the Headmaster Horrorcons were much better designed triple-changing Headmasters. So compared to them, Fort Max is the least impressive in terms of transformation schemes, but not necessarily terrible per se. But of course, another big appeal of Fortress Maximus is the size -- and not just being big for big's sake; more than just an action figure, Fortress Maximus is a playset for other Transformers. And whereas 1986's Metroplex was a playset for the smaller carded toys, Fort Max was a playset for both the smaller carded toys _and_ their larger boxed cousins! Throw in the double Headmasters gimmick and pow... one BIG and impressive action figure X playset!

Will Generations Metroplex be better engineered than Fortress Maximus? Undoubtedly. But will it be better engineered in relative terms? Well... that's something that remains to be seen (and none of us can really accurately judge until the toy comes out). But IMO if we are to compare these toys, Fortress Maximus should be evaluated by 1987 standards whereas Generations Metroplex ought to be evaluated by 2013 standards. As griffin said, Gen. Metroplex has an additional twenty six years worth of advances in toy engineering behind it! We _should_ have higher standards for this toy than we would for Fortress Maximus! Fortress Maximus is the product of 3 years' worth of toy engineering success... Generations Metroplex will be the product of 30 years' worth of toy engineering success.

So would people suggest to pre order this overseas or think it will definitely come to our shelves?