Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you maintain your perfect physical specimen so they keep drooling over you? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwarp View Post
    Dude it actually works against me.
    If i play like i fight then i loose, so i ahve to completley forget about my training
    Darn that military training, I bet it doesn't even cover rocket-jumping or the finer points of respawning.

I heard of a guy who was an ex-Army sniper who would always cream everyone else in paintball skirmishes.

Geminii: how is it modified? Are you taught fighting applications or is it only taught as a form of exercise? (I suspect it may be modified to be purely a form of exercise/fitness)

The three main styles of Tai Chi are:
    Yang
    Chen
    Wu

Some basic fighting applications for Tai Chi (Chen style)

Quote Originally Posted by Geminii View Post
    Darn that military training, I bet it doesn't even cover rocket-jumping or the finer points of respawning.
    Lol i wish i could respawn in the middle east, it would make patroling easier :P

It's mainly taught as fitness for oldies and housewives, the class I go to being made up mostly of these.

I prefer a style where the combat applications are covered, if only so I have some vague idea of what I'm supposed to be accomplishing with various movements. I'm the one who keeps pestering the teacher with "So is this movement supposed to be a block, a strike, what?"

The Tai Chi place I went to in Canberra was more forthcoming with this info - they'd even occasionally do a live combat demo of a movement to show exactly what its point was. "And here, this movement pulls the opponent off balance so, and flings them across the room, so. OK? Right, someone go help Billy out of the wall, please."

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I heard of a guy who was an ex-Army sniper who would always cream everyone else in paintball skirmishes.
    Those paintball's never fly straight. I'm a reasonably good shot, and I find those paintball guns infuriating... No 2 shots EVER hit the same spot! I guess it's due to the lack of conformance with those 'pellets'

paintballs are painful.. lol always wear thick clothing!

man so sore from gym yesterday, i can hardly move.

Quote Originally Posted by sifun View Post
    man so sore from gym yesterday, i can hardly move.
    Weak.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

well we don't know what he did at the gym and/or how regularly he goes. I sometimes have lapses where I don't train for months and then when I get back to it I feel reeeaaaally sore afterwards.

I don't do anything to stay looking good, as for looking good, thats not possible. I'm an ugmo if you ask me ahah.

Only things that I have ever been complemented on, and can say on the board... Is my eyes, hair and arms.. Other then that. I guess the entire thing where I act like a kid, but have a way with words that an adult has and don't tend to care how people see me. I guess that helps a little aswell. The Transformers collection has helpped out of late, but that can only go sofar. I was willing to sell it, just to make the moving out, then moving in alot faster. But, The Girl ran off with her ex and I'm stuck here alone

Quote Originally Posted by Geminii
    It's mainly taught as fitness for oldies and housewives, the class I go to being made up mostly of these.
    Yeah, that sounds like a form of Tai Chi that's intended primarily for exercise rather than fighting.

I prefer a style where the combat applications are covered, if only so I have some vague idea of what I'm supposed to be accomplishing with various movements. I'm the one who keeps pestering the teacher with "So is this movement supposed to be a block, a strike, what?"
    Such questions are kinda pointless if you're learning a non-combative style of Tai Chi. It'd be like asking a Yoga or Pilates instructor for fight applications in their 'sport.'

The Tai Chi place I went to in Canberra was more forthcoming with this info - they'd even occasionally do a live combat demo of a movement to show exactly what its point was. "And here, this movement pulls the opponent off balance so, and flings them across the room, so. OK? Right, someone go help Billy out of the wall, please."
    Hehehehehehe.

One thing that bugs me about some Tai Chi teachers (and teachers of internal arts in general) is the insistence on everything being soft and never hard. It's like they've entirely missed the entire point of Yin Yang - i.e.: a balance of hard and soft - not one to the exclusion of the other! Sorry, that's something that really irks me something chronic when I talk to internal martial artists. Likewise I'm equally irked when I talk to external martial artists who think that they're art has to be completely hard (I find a lot of practitioners of Southern Kung Fu, Korean and Japanese martial arts tend to fall into this category, with the exception of Aikido which is a Japanese internal art - but then I find a lot of practitioners fall into being too soft).