Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Discussion Thread

SAO2 was great and so sad in the end but i guessed it from the start....

Just watching Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and i got to say it an Epic adventure series ! it remind me alot like star trek voyager and it a nice change from the cute harem stories but it does have a love triangle going on .
    Also Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet to be great as well , well worth the watch

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    the fan services in that one is over the top sometimes... same with high school of the dead.... great story and i enjoy the fan service but some scene just not appropriate
    Yeah I liked High School of the dead - anything with Zombies!

Queens Blade is good but I can only watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time - then you feel like you are on animated T&A overload and need some good old fashioned violence

Just recently, apparently "Scarlett Johanson", the actress who plays "Black Widow" from the Avengers, is to be cast as "Motoko" in the live movie Ghost in the Shell. Here is a link, with some backlash.
    http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movie...-to-diversity/

Personally I think its a bad choice with a combination of some good and bad reasons.
    I'm a big fan of the character and the anime series, and I feel like someone has punched me in the gut after reading this news
    Scarlett is a big name, and is well known as black widow from Avengers. So she will be bankable and will draw in the crowds. As Motoko, I'm afraid she would look like a copy, a reason I would prefer someone less known and who isn't immediately as recognized as black widow.
    Honestly I would prefer an Asian actress, especially for fan service at least. For the rest of the cast they can have a mix, but should try to respect the source material

I don't suppose someone would like to start a petition to protest this decision, I know I would be willing to sign.

Unfortunately for you anybody else's name wouldn't sell a GitS movie like ScarJo's, especially to publishers or a western audience.

But this is all a moot point. Live action feature films based on anime have a long, long history of being awful.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

i see the point that they trying to appeal to the western audience as most of them wouldn't know Ghost in a shell .....
    this is my favour image when ever i think of GITS

I envisage something more cyberspace-y.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    Unfortunately for you anybody else's name wouldn't sell a GitS movie like ScarJo's, especially to publishers or a western audience.

But this is all a moot point. Live action feature films based on anime have a long, long history of being awful.
    I certainly hopes she sells the movie. Because obviously that's one of the big reasons she has been cast. Also that its a role she is familiar with given her past roles. In saying that I still would prefer someone else. But I don't know who, and in the end wouldn't matter as the product is going to be the same no matter who they cast. The casting just makes me a little uneasy about other choices they are going to make. I'll just enjoy it for what it is.

It's hard to think of a Japanese actress who would be as bankable to Western audiences as ScarJo. I say Japanese and not just East Asian, because it's arguably just as 'bad' (or arguably worse) to case a non-Japanese East Asian actress in the role of a Japanese character. Memoirs of a Geisha copped a lot of flak because it cast Chinese actresses (Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang etc.) as Japanese women (although Ken Watanabe did publicly defend the decision, saying that talent is more important than ethnicity).

It's also really unusual for Hollywood to cast non-whites in lead roles in action films/TV series. Blade's different, because the original comic character is black. There have been a few cases of Eurasians being cast as protagonists in action stories, e.g. Dean Cain (Superman), Brandon Lee (The Crow)... but it's not a lot. And yeah, I cannot think of any Hollywood adaptations of anime that was good. I liked On The Edge of Tomorrow, but that was based on a Japanese novel, not manga/anime. But hey, maybe this'll buck the trend. It couldn't possibly be worse than watching Mark Hamill mutate into a giant cockroach in the live action Guyver movie. Or Michael Bay.

An amazing short 3d Evangelion clip ..... Evangelion another impact * watch it in HD !!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...063942&fref=nf

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    An amazing short 3d Evangelion clip ..... Evangelion another impact * watch it in HD !!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...063942&fref=nf
    Can't say I'm a fan of the Eva unit in that clip. Head looks wrong.

Pretty impressive work though.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain