Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Discussion Thread

I haven't seen the film. It was only shown for a briefly at Event Cinema on George St., and it wasn't at a time when I could go see it. Suspectimus Prime said he tried to book tickets, but they were sold out! It was an inflight movie when I flew to Cairns last summer, but the flight was too short to watch the film (i.e. the film would've ended prematurely by time we were ready to land). Gah.

I've heard it's really good though... but yeah, I've yet to see it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommahawk79 View Post
    kool i remember watching DBZ on cheese tv that was when the anime/cartoons on ten were presented by 2 talented guys , watched a few good things on that show but atm i cant remember it all sadly.
    I can refresh your memory.
    Fight scene in the air.
    6 eps later
    Same fight scene in the air. (someone may have a black eye and Goku might have gone Super sayan).

Not a huge anime fan myself, but I do enjoy watching it, it's juts a matter of finding the time and one that doesn't bore me to death.

Currently watching
    Space Ship Yamato 2199 and the second season of the original.

Recommend:
    Gurren Lagann. trigun. Fruits Basket (Hilarious!!!) Best watched with subs as the US voice actors sound BORED OUT OF THEIR HEADS. Awful, awfull dub.
    Thermae Romae. very funny and educational as well.

Hmm thought there were more, but can't think of them right now.

I suggest avoiding the anime adaptation of X-men, Wolverine and Blade. Iron Man is watchable, but only just.

Anime? what is this thing you call anime?

.........kidding

Valkyrie's SDF:
    Transformer grails: MIB Minerva(the dream is OVER!!!! ), MIB Kiss Player Atariscream, MIB Kiss Player Sparkabots, Kiss Player Manga.

black lagoon is awesome. season 2 is coming soon i think.

particularly love sports anime
    Last edited by kaiden; 20th March 2013 at 01:39 AM.

As far as Evangelion goes, I think the original series is the best of all of them, sure the Rebuild movies are more polished and not as dated, but for its time it was an amazing anime that had a bit more story to it than just sensless robot violence.

SDF Macross is also good, again its dated now but im my opinion it mops the floor with Macross Frontier.

Akira, Ghost in the shell, Patlabor, Elfen Lied, High School of the Dead are also quite enjoyable.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    black lagoon is awesome. season 2 is coming soon i think.
    Are you referring to the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA or The Second Barrage or something completely different?

Quote Originally Posted by Dkaris View Post
    As far as Evangelion goes, I think the original series is the best of all of them, sure the Rebuild movies are more polished and not as dated, but for its time it was an amazing anime that had a bit more story to it than just sensless robot violence.
    omg... Evangelion was so difficult to understand! I first watched it in raw Japanese -- no translation. I remember even watching it with native Japanese speakers... they found it hard to understand too. That would not have been an easy series to translate!

SDF Macross is also good, again its dated now but im my opinion it mops the floor with Macross Frontier.
    +1. The new Macross series are visually more consistent, but the original's story is better (the TV series moreso than the movie). Although learning about the reasons why some of the poorer animated episodes and clip shows were done that way was interesting (RE: DVD audio commentary)
    Check out the 30th anniversary remake of the original Macross theme How cool would it be if they did a similar remake of the original Transformers theme for the 30th anniv.?

Akira, Ghost in the shell, Patlabor, Elfen Lied, High School of the Dead are also quite enjoyable.
    I was part of the group that fansubbed the latter episodes of Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex... gguuuhhh... I was living with a Japanese girl at the time who was helping me translate, and even then it was haaaarrrd! (we had no copy of the script -- translating purely by ear!)

Akira is something that I've always visually enjoyed, but could never get into the story. I've heard that it's a compression of a really expansive manga series. But I personally find Otomo Katsuhiro's anime to be rather long winded. I felt the same about Patlabor (though their stories aren't as disconnected as Akira's).

Anyone else here seen the live action Space Battleship Yamato (re: Star Blazers) movie?
    Star Blazers intro
    New Space Battleship Yamato opening
    live action movie trailer
    ...yes, that's Nishida "Pigsy" (from Monkey) Toshiyuki as the ship's chief engineer.

Just finished watching Muv-Luv Alternative ...it pretty good... sexy girls in mechs The first epi really really good then the the story change making the boy the main character and becoming like gundam...
    Gundam 00 is the best one for me, it had a better story and more relatable main character ..... all the other gundam just all the same thing ... Sexy girl and mech again---> Infinite Stratos not bad...
    The new rebuild Evangelion i think alot better as the story abit more understandable as they link and explain alot of things , the old series was good but just got too spiritual at the end and then confused everyone by releasing another ending the movies were just plain bad trying to compress the whole series in to 50min !! ahahha
    Had to add Claymore pretty good as well...

Evangelion is fantastic. I have watched all of them and I agree that the original series was very good. The movie versions later (Death/Rebirth) and the other one were good and provide another version in closing the series. WIth Rebuild, the animation is brilliant and the plot does go fast compared to the series but I suppose you have to do things quickly in the movie compared to fleshing things out in a series.

Ghost in the Shell movie, GitS Stand Alone Complex and GitS SAC 2 and the GitS SAC movie are fantastic and another I would recommend. The GitS second movie is a little slow and it focus' on Batou and not the Major. Akira was another good movie but it can get a bit weird.

Patlabor series and movies are good, Elfen Lied was not the best so read the manga as it beats the anime hands down. High School of the Dead was so-so but I think its me as I am over the zombie crap.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    No thread that I can see either so I'm going to post away!
    I'm a huge Otaku, I've seen so many series that I had to catalogue them lol, so let me have a think.

I would have to agree that FMA:B is a little convoluted but it's still a good watch, the pacing for the first quarter or so sucked but I think that's because compared to the original it's so compressed and you miss out on a lot of great character development.
    I can't decide which one I would suggest others to watch first, probably FMA:B then FMA, only because you get a deeper insight I feel watching them that way around.

From that list I've seen Deathnote, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.
    Loved Deathnote, though really hated the anime ending, they screwed it up badly compared to the way the manga ends.
    The best way to watch that one I think is to either stop watching after the first arc, the show could be done at that point, or if one feels the need to keep watching to ignore the last two episodes and read the manga from that point.

I was rewatching Fullmetal Panic but I got distracted by TFPrime and started watching TFAnimated, but I'll go back to it after finishing S3 of TFA.

Some of my picks-
    Gundam Seed/Gundam Seed Destiny
    Tsubasa Chronicle
    Slayers
    Rurouni Kenshin

the list could go on lol but suffice to say I like mecha and fantasy.
    I enjoyed FMA:B better then the original series for some unknown reason. I did enjoy the old series but I think the new one was better. Full Metal Panic was good as well. First and Second series were very good with both action and plot with good ecchi moments and Fumoffu I enjoyed as it was really stupid slapstick moments. Tsubasa Chronicles and xXxHolic are two more from Clamp that I woudl recommend as well. Both are in the same universe and both merge at certain points.

Slayers is also good but there is so much of that as series and movies.

With SDF Macross, you can either go by the original Japanese series or the bastardisation which we call Robotech. Again both have their weak points but both are still good. Also the Japanese had Macross II, Macross Zero, Macross Frontier, Macross Plus and the other one with the cheezy music and the bad hair

Bloody Code Geass gave me the shits. It annoyed the hell out of me but yet I could not stop watching. You start to like a character *BAM* dead and rage for a day. Another character comes along that you like *BAM* another dead one and rage for another day but yet the crap characters keep on bloody going.......BASTARDS!!!!

I have a varying collection that I enjoy:

K-on
    Hayate no Gotoku
    Nagasarete Airantou
    Index and Railgun
    Shakugan no Shana
    Tora Dora
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Haruhi Suzumiya
    Bubblegum Crisis and BGC 2040
    Chobits (another Clamp anime)
    Claymore
    Darker than Black
    Dennou Coil
    Escaflowne series
    Girls Bravo (english dub is a lot better than the Jap)
    Gunslinger Girls
    Higurashi no series
    Ikki Tousen
    Lucky Star
    Maria+Holic
    Monster (good horror/drama type series)
    Onegai Teacher and Twins
    Spice and Wolf
    Tetsuwan Birdy Decode (original wasnt bad but the new one was good)
    Witch Hunter Robin

Thats a few of the top of my head.

Valkyrie's SDF:
    Transformer grails: MIB Minerva(the dream is OVER!!!! ), MIB Kiss Player Atariscream, MIB Kiss Player Sparkabots, Kiss Player Manga.

oooh anime!

Personally I keep track of Naruto - now Naruto Shippuuden coz he's all grown up. Bleach - but Im reduced to reading the manga coz every site that before had it couldt upload anymore, somehow it's all being blocked by the makers. I used to watch one piece, but after the Great War arc ( where Luffy's brother dies SPOILER) I stopped. Although Ive watched all the movies of these 3 anime too.

Other Anime's Ive enjoyed watching - some already finished

1)Highschool of The Dead

2)Ben-to - all that martial arts just for a day old food, hahaha only in Japan!

3)Chobits ( I really like the opening theme song)

4)Cardcaptor Sakura

5/6)Full Metal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood - I do prefer the Brotherhood version (based on Manga) coz the first one was too brooding and negative, dark and just doesn't leave a good feeling once you've finished watching it.

7)Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - for those not into powerpuff girls motif this wont suit their taste - but I just love that they had an entire episode dedicated/homage to Transformers! Awesome! Valkyrie76 did you forget to add this hehehe - you have Stocking as your avatar there now

8)Fairy Tail - still ongoing and awesome to watch, I just started watching it because Bleach took so long to update and months later Im hooked! The characters grow on you.

9)Blue Exorcist - anime has finished, but the manga still is going.

10) Nurarihyon and Nurarihyon no Mago- the anime is kinda in limbo. The Manga already finished - finally! took them long enough. I really like the concept - yokai and all that, plus I just really like the singers Monkey Majik (Canadian Jap band from Sendai) which the series used 3 of their songs for opening and closing themes.

11) Kimi to Boku and 2nd season as well.

12) Flame of Recca

13) Occult Academy

14) Fruits Basket

15) Sailor Moon (which was translated and dubbed in Filipino) so funny! I watched it again in English and ... meh I didn't continue after the first 3 episodes. I prefer the jokes in Filo
    Lets just say I prefer supernatural themed ones more than mecha anime.

I usually just watch these and review them from animeflavor.com - the site also has the whole Avatar series, TF Prime, JL animated, Young Justice, Green Lantern and a lot of the anime movies (including the Ghibli ones) all in their files. Best thing is, its free! hehehe
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]