Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I don't.
    Have one of these.

I dont download anime............I just like to know what its like before I buy it from Madman

You know.............try before you buy

Valkyrie's SDF:
    Transformer grails: MIB Minerva(the dream is OVER!!!! ), MIB Kiss Player Atariscream, MIB Kiss Player Sparkabots, Kiss Player Manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    you are in a way, through Youtube.
    I rarely even do that, but I take your point. Having said that, I only watch stuff online that isn't available in Australia -- so it's arguably a legal grey area. i.e. it's difficult for the copyright holder to argue that I should be purchasing a legal copy instead of watching an illegitimate copy when a legitimate copy doesn't even exist in my region. Take Transformers Animated Season 3 for example. I would LOVE to be able to own this on legitimate DVD. Love it. It urinates me away to no end that it's never been released... but if they ever did, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. With Transformers Prime, I watch the eps first on YouTube or other means... then as soon as the DVDs are available for sale, I buy them and scrub my old copies (the DVDs are so much better quality anyway, plus you get bonus features ).

In order to claim copyright infringement, one needs to demonstrate commercial loss and/or predation of copyright statute. If I were to download or view a film that was already commercially available in Australia, and especially if I were to distribute and/or sell copies of that film, then there's a pretty strong case that I'd be committing piracy. But I don't do that. I obtain titles that aren't available in Australia for personal/private viewing, and when the title becomes available I delete and purchase. Thus the copyright holder cannot argue that I have caused them any commercial loss because I'm giving them my money when they make the title available.

As Valks said, it's like "try before you buy." By purchasing the DVDs, I ultimately pay for the product that I use. My money goes toward paying the artists and other people who helped make and distribute the title. This is different from say watching something without paying for it, and even when it does still become commercially available, still not buying it. Because then you've still accessed that product, but haven't paid for doing so.

I rarely even do that, but I take your point. Having said that, I only watch stuff online that isn't available in Australia -- so it's arguably a legal grey area. i.e. it's difficult for the copyright holder to argue that I should be purchasing a legal copy instead of watching an illegitimate copy when a legitimate copy doesn't even exist in my region...
    Yeah, most people are like that I suspect.

Most of the shows I watch through dodgy means are Japanese shows that are very rarely likely to get a local release.

Is any cartoon made by japanese considered anime?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    I'd say so, although personally when I think of anime I think of a particular art style more than anything else. So in a way, any cartoon made by Japanese may not be anime.

Panty and Stocking is made in a very different way to the normal anime look. Yet I still consider it anme.

Hmmm. I just confused myself.

Yeah, most people are like that I suspect.
    Most adults I know are like that... teenagers... hmm... our school recently started an anime club, and I'm seriously thinking about joining one of their meetings and giving them a talk about fan ethics.

Most of the shows I watch through dodgy means are Japanese shows that are very rarely likely to get a local release.
    Yeah same here. I asked Madman if they're planning on releasing live action Ranma 1/2 or not, they said that they can't comment as they haven't obtained the rights to it. I'd collect more DVDs directly from Japan if their prices weren't typically so eye gaugingly high! (even a lot of my mates in Japan complain about the prices of DVDs in Japan, or come to Australia and are amazed at how cheap our prices are).

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    In English, yes. In Japanese, no. The word "anime" in Japanese just refers to any kind of animation/cartoon, regardless of origin. If you specifically want to refer to Japanese animation in Japanese you'd say "Nihon anime."

I'd say so, although personally when I think of anime I think of a particular art style more than anything else. So in a way, any cartoon made by Japanese may not be anime.

Panty and Stocking is made in a very different way to the normal anime look. Yet I still consider it anme.

Hmmm. I just confused myself.
    In English, yes. In Japanese, no. The word "anime" in Japanese just refers to any kind of animation/cartoon, regardless of origin. If you specifically want to refer to Japanese animation in Japanese you'd say "Nihon anime."
    Thanks! Just watched the X-men and Blade and they were japanese made and a bit different than the american version at least for X-men.

Did anyone go to this yet?...is it any good?..worth going?
    Also i just watched Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo ....wtf was going on?
    I got the first two and they were great....loved the 2.0 ....but just watched 3.0 and didn't know what the hell going on... the subtitle pretty bad.. like the ending movies again!