Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before MTMTE (IDW)

Default Before MTMTE (IDW)

I've just caught up to the current issue of MTMTE but I'm left with lots of questions. Basically I'm wondering about all the things that get referenced that have happened before issue 1.

I've looked on tfwiki to see whats in the IDW G1 continuity but I'm trying not to read to much to avoid spoilers. So do I need to read all the "ations", All Hail Megatron, Ongoing, and the one-offs and miniseries to get the story or do some of these not contribute to the universe that MTMTE is in?

Yeah, it all contributes in one way or another. I recommend you go find the Trade Paperbacks - places like Kinokuniya, Kings Comics etc. might have 'em. Or better yet, borrow them off a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, it all contributes in one way or another. I recommend you go find the Trade Paperbacks - places like Kinokuniya, Kings Comics etc. might have 'em. Or better yet, borrow them off a friend.
    Well looks like I've got a ton of reading in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Well looks like I've got a ton of reading in my future.
    Just keep in mind that although it all roughly forms one continuity, the story telling style varies wildly from one writer to another.

Probably the best issues to read would be the chaos ones and Last Stand of the Wreckers as they tie in better with the present comics. However keep in mind that the 'McCarthy era' with All Hail Megatron is considered a bit of a low point by some and the following 'Mike Costa' era is pretty crap.

I stopped reading for over a year due to the Costa era, he just did not get what Transformers were about and his 'departing interview' confirmed it.
    Last edited by kup; 7th April 2013 at 08:41 PM.

Since this is by far the biggest TF comic universe by far (the 125th issue was like waaay long ago now) they have (for the most part) done a fantastic job of intertwining it all. Which sadly for you makes picking particular issues to read to be up with plots that have contributed to what is happening now rather hard.

However if you want to read some of the best comic series they have done I heartily recommend the following series: All Hail Megatron, Last Stand of the Wreckers, Autocracy and as many of the Spotlight's as you can get your hands on Also the early ones with the Thunderwing arc are very good

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Since this is by far the biggest TF comic universe by far (the 125th issue was like waaay long ago now) they have (for the most part) done a fantastic job of intertwining it all.
    G1 ran for 302 issues. (just sayin' )

Ah, I was forgetting to include the UK comic in the count - point taken

For the best references just read the wiki or the "-tions" stories they are at best vaguely referenced to. this includes maximum dinobots. Same for Autocracy and Megatron Origins. You can do the same for the Bumblebee and Ironhide minis as well.

If you can get them on sale via comixology or borrow them, read all hail Megatron and the first 5 trades of the Costa led ongoing. They are not worth paying for.

Read or purchase chaos theory and police action as they most directly precede 125- death of Optimus Prime. Last stand of the Wreckers is not massively important but is an excellent comic series by a similar creative team.

As for the spotlights from the Furman era, some are very important to the current stories, others worthless. You may want to read: Shockwave, Hotrod, Wheelie, Nightbeat, Arcee, Hardhead, Cyclonus, Optimus Prime (not to be confused with Orion Pax). I could recommend another half dozen spotlights, but those are the ones that jump most readily to mind regarding current stories, especially Arcee, Shockwave and Wheelie.

Happy reading.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Why 302? The G1 UK comics ran for 332 issues. Not including annuals and other specials.