Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Thread: Megatron MP-05 Petition

I think what we need to accept is that a replica gun can be used by any idiot to hold up a pertrol station etc. Also, being replica of a ranged weapon, there is no way to run. With a sword or other melee weapon, first it takes a lot more skill to wield and secondly you can run away without risking being shot in the back.

There is also the practical side of things. Blades have uses. If you ban a sword or dagger you need to ban kitchen knives, etc. Pistols have no non-violent use.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tiby
    Also, being replica of a ranged weapon, there is no way to run. With a sword or other melee weapon, first it takes a lot more skill to wield
    Indeed - it's the "idiot's" weapon as it requires far less skill and discipline to master compared to a melee weapon. It revolutionised warfare because riflemen could be trained in a matter of mere weeks or months whereas melee fighters would take more months or years.

In Europe the gun was hailed as the "equaliser" because a man's size, relative strength and skill were far less important in a fight. In certain periods of Japanese history the Samurai considered guns to be dishonourable and uncivilsed weapon because they required far less skill and discipline to master compared to a sword or bow and arrow (although in other periods they embraced firearms, even creating a martial art around it called Juujutsu* - go figure ). The Jedi, who are essentially Samurai in space, also shared the same romantic view about swords vs guns.

"Your father's light sabre. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age." - Obi-Wan Kenobi (A New Hope)

"So uncivilised!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi, after using a blaster (Revenge of the Sith)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiby
    There is also the practical side of things. Blades have uses. If you ban a sword or dagger you need to ban kitchen knives, etc. Pistols have no non-violent use.
    Pistols are also useful for scratching yourself, as Chief Wiggum has demonstrated.

On a more serious note, a few weeks ago I read a article in a newspaper about a student in Australia who threatened a teacher with a replica toy gun. When I read it I shook my head and realised that this is why we have stupid annoying laws about toy guns that inconvenience the rest of us - because of IDIOTS like that. (-_-) I also know of a really stupid Transformer fan (again, in Australia) who walked around an airport carrying G1 Megatron in gun mode. He was tackled by security guards.

It's always a small number of absolute f###wits who spoil it for the rest of us. :/

*Similar pronunciation as the grappling style, but written in different Kanji. The grappling style which Judo hails from is written as 柔術 whereas the gunnery form of written as 銃術

Got my permit today!

So... now what?

Megs is scheduled for destruction on the 11th of April. Who do I contact to let them know I want my MP-5 back?

Hey Tober, Well done!

Get onto Theo asap:

Theo Koutellou

Senior Customs Officer
    Security & Governance NSW
    Ph: 02 8339 6327
    Fax: 02 8339 6718
    theodore.koutellou@customs.gov.au
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm