Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Pondering

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Collecting Pondering

For those who have been around a while, this is a repeat question

2013 - I need two things.
    Cash and space.

The way to get these things is to sell my Transformers collection, the issue is that I have a strong emotional attachment to them even though its all in storage and I never see them.

Been thinking for a few months about my plan to sell of most/all of the collection in order to consolidate my storage shed into something more manageable - trust me when I say it is FULL - and use the cash that may come from selling into doing one of two things (house deposit or pay of student loan)

My AFA Graded G1 items would be safe from the purge but everything else would be up for grabs. Talking G2 (USA/Japanese), Reissues (Original, Book and Encore), Binaltech, Alternators, Masterpiece, Classics, Universe, Generations, Henkei, United and all the 'misc' items I also have from other lines.

Struggling with the idea of selling some of these due to the emotional attachment, and also how I would sell (lots, singles) and pricing for the items and just what series would get the chop first.

Who has some thoughts for me ... cause the more I think, the more I get myself confused!

If you really love them, I'd keep those you love the most or the ones that would cost more to replace, as you can always buy another of the lesser-worth ones for about what you sold them for, if you ever have the cash to get them again.

If you are seriously on thin ice with cash, I'd sell what you feel comfortable selling but maybe let go of a few to good homes.

IMO, it's what you feel is right and what you really think is necessary for you to have and how much you'd need to get rid of, if it means a suitable amount of money.

I'm not the best to ask about this and I'm sure other will be able to help much better than I can, but like you said, it's a hard decision on what and what not.

You need cash and space? Sell. Make a decision and stick to it, dont fart-arse about.
    I'd avoid lots, unless they're a team or junkers. The reat should be easy to establish.

I agree with Sinnertwin. If they are becoming a hassle it is time to do something. Try starting with your least favourite line first and go from there.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Take some photos of them in preparation then decide if you can part with them. You can always buy them back and if you do go with the house deposit you will have more space without worrying about a storage unit

I have been toying around with this idea myself of selling my least favourite line/lines to make the TF's I like more displayable. Still haven't got there so all I can say is good luck with making a decision. You collect doubles don't you? I would look at thinning them down first and go from there if you still want to sell more item's.

Thanks all for the words, it is a stark contrast to the advise the New Zealand collectors 'gave' - all they wanted was to dib certain toys in the collection for when ever I decided to sell.

When I did my collection tidy in 2009, I eliminated many sub lines from the collection as I knew that I could no longer 'catch them all' and so as I packed them away into boxes I took pictures of what I had saved from the purge and look at those images every month or so to remind myself what I have.

Regarding the student loan - I have been in the work force for 10 years now and have managed to repay $15000 back to the New Zealand Govt - I still have $20000 to go and I pay back just over $2000 a year via forced repayment under my tax code. -- Just to clarify, I am not a student anymore.

As for what I get rid of first - the clean up in 2009 got rid of the lines I didn't really care for, so everything I have is 'wanted'. I have thought of getting rid of the Western CHUG and Alternators as the Japanese 'are better' but in both instances there are toys that have never been released in Japan so if I went down that path ...

My thought of selling in lots really does come from not wanting 'reminders' of the collection I had if I am unable to get rid of a few less than desirable toys and my current sale list reminds me of that every day with the unwanted AEC toys I am practically asking for someone to take from me. I know there are very few people out there who would take a lot of toys however so selling signally is the way to go

i'm with theshape, keep the g1 stuff , or at least just sell off things you have in multiples with all the ko's going around its getting pretty hard to track down genuine g1 stuff if you did want to re aquire them later down the track.
    If it was me i'd be keeping the pieces that hold sentimental value and selling off the figures i didnt like first.
    to save yourself some sorting time you could always offer lots up for sale first then if they dont sell , pick 1 lot and sell it off figure by figure ? might make a little less time consuming/ frustrating /hassle with the post man

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    My thought of selling in lots really does come from not wanting 'reminders' of the collection I had if I am unable to get rid of a few less than desirable toys and my current sale list reminds me of that every day with the unwanted AEC toys I am practically asking for someone to take from me. I know there are very few people out there who would take a lot of toys however so selling signally is the way to go
    I agree with others have said in terms of selling them individually rather than lots. If it's too emotionally difficult for you to do, then is there someone else that you can offload the toys to, and they can sell them individually on your behalf? That way on an emotional level, you've already parted with them as a massive lot, then that person handles the financial side of selling them off on your behalf (maybe that person can claim a small percentage of the income as a commission for their time, effort and storage space ).

Most people I know who have sold off their collections either in whole or part regretted it later. My advice would be - go down that path only as a last resort.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]