Thread: (MAY-2013) Beast Machines Era Cartoon - Comments and reviews

Default (MAY-2013) Beast Machines Era Cartoon - Comments and reviews

Beast Machines is like the unwanted in-law of Transformers - very little attention was given to it, but it does have some fans.

It was released in both Western and Japanese markets, and details of this series can be read up here.

Did you watch any of the Beast Machines cartoon?
    If so, what did you think of it?

Any Episodes worth reviewing?

Are any of the episodes recommended viewing for others?

I watched it all and definitely recommend watching it if you haven't (after beast wars that is :P).
    It's a good series but not a classic one.
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post

I watched it all and definitely recommend watching it if you haven't (after beast wars that is :P).
    It's a good series but not a classic one.
    I agree KalEl it was good but not great, it is still enjoyable to watch.

Good Points: The Vehicon Generals, Cybertron, Megatron being awesome
    Bad Points Silverbolt being a giant chicken, and a few more.

Beast Machines wasn't shown on free to air television here, so I was lucky to have an awesome friend in the US who sent me the series recorded off TV and burnt onto discs at the time. The series is the second-best Transformers show in the thirty years of the franchise. It's deep, dark and the one with the strongest story arc from beginning to end. As a story, it's the closest thing to an anime that Transformers has ever produced and as such, not everything always makes immediate sense, but it's an impressive thought-provoking allegory. The character journeys of Tankor, Thrust and Jetstorm are fantastic, likewise Primal, Megatron and Cheetor get some good development in this series. Over a decade later, Botanica remains the Transformer in most need of a toy (with a Diagnostic Drone pack-in accessory.)

Since I had bought the Beast Wars Box Sets and watched them right through over the course of a few weeks, I decided to grab the box sets of BM from JB Hi-Fi since they were pretty cheap.

I was dissapointed that after BW had shown such overall reverence (in the long run) to G1, that BM just took off on some weird tangent where Cybertron had organic dirt and was struggling to regrow etc. Watched the series through once, have no real compunction to ever watch it again.

I missed both beast wars and beast machines on TV, Beast Wars because I didn't have the interest at the time, I couldn't figure out why they would use CG animation when they could have made it look so much better by hand.

I have since recieved both series on dvd from a friend and watched them all the way through.

I think the Beast machines cartoon was better in visual representation than Beast wars. but nothing on TF:Prime.

The story was definitely different, with an interesting premise, the Maximals get back to Cybertron and it's deserted, Megatron has captured everyone's sparks.!!

It asks some very interesting questions about right and wrong, and religious beliefs, from the perspective of organic or machine.
    Very brave and Dark for a childrens cartoon.

I don't think the series as a whole really fits into the transformers universe unless it's set well in advance of any other stories we've seen.

probably the biggest low points for me were the inevitable battle where no-one gets hurt followed by lots of running away from ambushes.

Any Episodes worth reviewing?
    I can't really think of any off the top of my head but, I would recommend if you are going back to watch transformers series you've never seen, that you watch beast wars first and then this.

I'd also recommend this above the unicron trilogy and RID of which I've only seen some.

I can't remember episode names but there are a few involving character developement for the vehicons which I recall standing out.

Are any of the episodes recommended viewing for others?

See my comments above, I think it's worth watching so see what happened, but don't expect it to be much like anything else in transformers.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I had a recent impulse to watch the Beast Machines cartoon again... and a few episodes in, this was certainly a weird chapter, and not just visually (those multiple eyes on Blackarachnia's forehead are really creepy). It's probably why I've only ever watched the series twice before (when it was first released, and when I got the DVD set).
    It brings back so many memories of when it was first released, when the fandom was still on a Beast Wars high and most were quite actively engaged with this cartoon, discussing the episodes and making guesses of the mysteries that hadn't yet been answered. Something we haven't had... since probably Animated.

Jetstorm was probably the surprise hit from this new cartoon, with his witty comments and mannerisms.

Beast Machines was a huge letdown from Beast Wars.
    The decision to change the writers was a huge mistake and all that mediating garbage plus the overly fluid designs of the bots just put me off completely... and i foolishly bought every single toy plus variant released from this series.
    Never going to watch it ever again.
    Give me more Beast Wars!!!!