Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP masterpiece slipstream

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    That face sculpt is coming along really nice, I'm getting a bit of an arachnid vibe from it prior to the helmet addition.

with regard to shapeways, i've found that strong white flexible is the best for strength and one of the best for detail, but the clear detail is probably the best for actual fine detail, I've never used that one.

Strong white flexible has a slight powdery feel to it. keep in mind also that there will probably be a very small amount of shrinkage in the plastic as it sets, which may effect your ball/socket interface.

It's looking great, keep up the good work.
    Thanks for that advice, hadn't considered the shrinkage. I'll have to see which material gives the best result for this sculpt. I've seen other head sculpts use the clear, but as you say strong white flexible might be the way to go, especially for ball joints.

Looking good, AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Looking good, AJ
    Cheers, this has been a good learning curve for me (as you've seen), with still so much more to pick up. I'm just hoping it does Lancalot's custom justice when it's finished.

Did a bit more work on this over the weekend. Here is another progress shot, still got some cleanup to do but model is fully closed in now. Next I need to scale it to the right size and add the ball socket then should be good to upload to shapeways...

Although I'm thinking of maybe adding a little bit of detail to the sides and back, like some vents or something just to break it up a little bit...

Damn!

That's starting to look REALLY good dude, lovely proportions!

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Shiny.

In addition to Shapeways, it might be worth looking at local 3D printing services? It'll probably cost a bit more for the item, but postage was the killer for Shapeways last time I looked.

A few that I found were:

http://www.parts2print.com.au/

http://www.prototypelabs.com.au/

love the face Aj ....but can you blend the ear up alittle cause it just sticking out abit much... something like this..

Sure thing dude, leave it with me. Also thanks for those other links, I'll look into that. As you say, if it can be done cheaper locally then that's definitely the way to go.

yeah if it local then we save on shipping...as shapeway cost way too much for shipping like $30 for the small head.. and that shipping only!

Lancalot - Is this the kind of shape you were after? Please let me know before I add the smoothing and fine edges etc. I still have to reshape the top and rear some more but just wanted to know if this is what you were going for before I start fixing it all up. Happy to make any other adjustments you prefer.

Iriorne - Is it possible for you to post a pic of the rear/base of the head where the ball joint is for me, just so I can get an idea of positioning? This sculpt has a more rounded base and rear than the original, although if necessary I can make it a little squarer to accomdate the ball socket. Will see what I can achieve with this first without making the head position look weird.