• Only if...

7 25.00%
  • No

4 14.29%
  • Not even interested

4 14.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Transformers Platinum Edition Omega Supreme

Since I have Energon Omega, this guy is staying in the box. Though when Metroplex gets here the temptation to take out all the game-inspired toys for group shots may be more than I can resist

Love the claw arm - very WFC, as is the colour scheme. I still would have loved them to make a WFC Omega with the games alt mode as I thought his alt mode was great. Ah well.

The visor is a bit yellow for me, would have been better orange (though not as orange as Energon Omega) but that's a small complaint.

The box is very cool and ornate, part of the reason this guy will remain MISB for me

Overall very happy I got this guy. Got him and Platinum Magnus, but am bypassing the Platnium Prime - wasn't much of a fan of the Energon version and I got that, no way am I getting another one.

Now all they need to do is make a proper WFC Omega, an Animated Omega and a IDW-inspired Omega and I'll be happy - he's one of my top 5 fav characters ever

I have Energon Omega Supreme too, and IMO the amount of retooling and repainting they've done on this toy definitely make it worth opening too.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Love it! every single bit of it! and this is the true true.

To me is a big improvement over G1 and Energon version. I was always tempted by either one of the old version but the Energon version didn't seem right and the G1 version was dated.

Yes I have seen Planet X version but for $500 and the face is just pure gold is not in my best interest for its price.

The transformation was simple and fun to play, I felt like a spoiled kid with the toy!

Would there be anything I like to see changed? Perhaps the other arm as the drill canon making this a drill train would be awesome!

I couldn't get this in store at BigW, had to online order it. I have extras.
    I felt no regrets on this one as its really a cool toy.

Improvement over the original? Aesthetically in terms of having a more unified colour scheme (the original is fairly haphazard), though the red wheels look cheap. The head does look very nice, but I think the original head is good too. The face sculpting on the new one is better though. But one thing that this version has lost is the Headmaster gimmick, which was a really good and fun gimmick on the original toy. What impressed me about Energon Omega Supreme's Headmaster gimmick was:
    + The Mini-Con/head itself transformed into a smaller facsimile of Omega Supreme (who kinda looked like Omega Spreem too ).
    + There's a plate that covers Omega Supreme's face when "Omega Spreem" is in robot mode (reminiscent of the 1987 Headmaster Nebulans)
    + Energon Omega Supreme has a neck (which connects to the Mini-Con), and the neck itself transforms into a head!
    It's not quite as good as Armada Overload's Headmaster gimmick TBH, but it's still fairly neat in its own right. So in that department I'd say that Energon Omega Supreme still trumps Plat Ed./YotS Omega Supreme. The new claw arm also looks very nice and spins and all that... but there's limited play value. The claw arm on Energon Omega Supreme actually reaches out and grabs. I understand that it's meant to emulate the claw arm of War For Cybertron Omega Supreme, and it does succeed in doing so. But otherwise this toy still inherits all the flaws of the original Energon Omega Supreme toy; the engineering and transformation is woefully underwhelming and simplistic for a toy of its price point. It is fundamentally a big Mega-Pretender shell for Optimus Prime, making it somewhat lacking as an action figure in its own right.

When comparing contemporary toys with G1 toys, I think it's prudent to be mindful to look at things in context. Energon Omega Supreme came out in 2004 and it was already a fairly disappointing toy by 2004 standards. Omega Supreme came out in 1985 and was reasonably decent by the standards of the day. Yes, it's a total kibble-former, but keep in mind that he was the first base-former. Metroplex and Trypticon came out in 1986; and Metroplex doesn't walk in robot mode. Trypticon does, but his base mode doesn't have a motorised tank. Omega Supreme has both. Energon/YotS Omega Supreme doesn't walk and doesn't roll on its own or have self spinning turrets; for a mould that came nearly 20 years' after the original Omega Supreme, one would expect it to have better exploited advances in toy design/engineering.

Sure, G1 and Energon/YotS Omega Supreme are very much dominated by their gimmicks, but I find that G1 Omega Supreme incorporates them better in making it a fun toy to play with compared to Energon Omega Supreme who I always found to be a rather mediocre figure at best.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Yes I have seen Planet X version but for $500 and the face is just pure gold is not in my best interest for its price.

$300. Not $500
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post

$300. Not $500
    I suspect drifand may be referring to eBay prices
    http://m.ebay.com/search?cad=1&so=12...esis&mfs=GOCLK

$300 is still damn expensive... you could buy a Fortress Maximus for that price!

For the 3rd party Genesis, also remember that's $300 in US Dollars, not Australian, and also doesn't include shipping So it will be at least $400 probably more!

Platinum edition on the other hand is a quarter of that price. Its a large figure, and is a good display piece as a classics Omega. It looks good with generations figures, towering over even voyager figures. It may be a overly simple transformer, so its lacking. For this reason its understandable that people who already own the Energon version in the past want to avoid it.

Looking forward to when Hasbro finally gets to doing a proper Omega Supreme with a brand new mold.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
    For the 3rd party Genesis, also remember that's $300 in US Dollars, not Australian, and also doesn't include shipping So it will be at least $400 probably more!

Platinum edition on the other hand is a quarter of that price. Its a large figure, and is a good display piece as a classics Omega. It looks good with generations figures, towering over even voyager figures. It may be a overly simple transformer, so its lacking. For this reason its understandable that people who already own the Energon version in the past want to avoid it.

Looking forward to when Hasbro finally gets to doing a proper Omega Supreme with a brand new mold.
    I've never liked Energon Omega. I always thought it looked cheap and simple. The alt mode IMO is rather silly with next to zero effort put into it.

Yes I agree Genesis is expensive, that's why I don't own it. But it is an infinitely superior representation of the character (WARNING: The previous sentence is opinion only). When I look at YOTS Omega, it makes me think that at Hasbro they went: "You know, they say you can't polish a turd. But maybe we can give it a fresh coat of paint and a shiny box!"
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Each have their own here, obviously so fans are restricted to G1 thinking and will stick to the G1 design of What Omega is, a space station.

But I come way back before Transformers was even borned, I seen the Diaclone version and is a kid's toy made into Omega Supreme.

Yes I saw the Planet X from ebay hence the expensive tag.
    To me it looked flimsy, nice cannons and claw arms but I like to see Tomy Takara's take on a MP version.

Now for $98 bucks this guy looks solid in the shelf with original G1 colours. The head sculpt is well done. Unlike the Energon version, I was hesitating whether to buy it. Getting the claw hand right was the key selling point.

Mind you, I am more a real robot collector than Transformer's fan collector, so someone who raves about the old Soundwave I won't bother as to me MP 13 surpass it.