Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TF Beast Hunters Episode 10 - Minus One

Default TF Beast Hunters Episode 10 - Minus One

Not bad of an episode IMO, some new unexpected things happen.

One thing I've noticed is Optimus always relies on his mini gun, does he even have a sword like on the figure? If not, why were we given swords and not mini guns?

It was a good episode, I loved the Soundwave part (dont want to give any spoilders away)

Optimus used his hand guns in this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ae-Evolution View Post
    One thing I've noticed is Optimus always relies on his mini gun, does he even have a sword like on the figure? If not, why were we given swords and not mini guns?
    The Star Sabre was seized by the Decepticons back in Episode #55 ("Prey"). It was last seen in episode #60 ("Thirst") when the vampiric Silas-Breakdown entered the room where seized items were held, including Airachnid whom he ended up releasing.

I quite like the fact that BH OP was given the Star Sabre. It's a 5mm post weapon, so it's also compatible with a lot of other toys, including previous TFP Optimus Prime Voyager figures. So you can have your FE or PRiD OP hold it if you want. As for why the toy doesn't have mini-guns... my guess is that the addition of mini-guns was a later feature to the character's animation model. Remember that it takes a jolly long time for Hasbro/TakaraTOMY to develop and produce a toy, and at the time they were doing it they would have been relying on whatever the most current incarnation of the animation model was available at the time. It's possible that the animators decided to add the mini-guns in afterwards, and by that time it wasn't possible to add the weapons onto the toy. Besides, there's nothing stopping you from just pretending that the guns he comes with is a gatling gun (just imagine that it some kind of casing that houses all those spinning gun barrels). Or maybe you can find another gatling/mini-gun weapon that has a 5mm post (I can't think of any off hand). Either way, this is just another reason why I don't like it when Transformers are designed as show characters first and toys second -- IMO Optimus Prime should've just been designed as a toy first, and the animators should then just use the available toy's weapons in the show. Beast Wars is a great example of a TV show with a high level of toy accurate show models, but I especially like Transmetal Optimus Primal because the animators actually gave him an additional "artillery mode" which isn't an official mode on the toy, but the toy can transform into it! We know that Hasbro actually sent Mainframe samples of the toys for them to scan into their computers and build CGI models from, but TM OP also demonstrates that the animators also played with the toys and didn't just stare at them!

s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r
    s

Wow... the new Autobot base is surprisingly incredibly unguarded! Even if Laserbeak has some kind of stealth that eludes radar... no manned watchtower?? Considering that:
    1. The new base is nothing more than an above ground hangar;
    2. The old base which was buried in a mountain in the middle of nowhere was eventually discovered by Decepticons;
    3. The sake of Earth is at stake;
    ...you'd think the U.S. government might be willing to invest some more substantial military presence at that base. Fowler attacks Soundwave with a fire extinguisher. Are you for real? The guy's like a federal agent, right? Why isn't he carrying a concealed gun? (sure, it wouldn't have done anything to Soundwave, but still... better odds than running at a giant robot with a fire extinguisher!)

So we finally get to hear Soundwave speak, and we actually hear Optimus Prime say "transform and roll out" too. Although IIRC he says, "Everyone else, transform and roll out," and not "Autobots, transform and roll out." I've heard a rumour that there's some crappy legal reason as to why Optimus Prime can't say "Autobots transform and roll out," and this sounds like their way of trying to work around it without getting into trouble (I don't know if this is actually true or not).

I didn't realize we were avoiding spoilers in these threads? Seemed like the norm was to expect it to be rife with spoilers without warning. Anyway, SPOILERS AHEAD.

IMO, a better and more enjoyable episode than the last, especially considering implications of series direction...

Pros:
    - Some great lines: "To rule only one would be to never truly rule either", "Like the way you own that voicebox Ratchet slapped in your throat", "He would merely want to harness the power... in order to... create one! Oh my!".
    - Prime vs Predaking was more realistic IMO than the battle from the last episode. And it is GREAT to see that Predaking is not neutered by Prime.
    - I like the twist in direction back towards the Omega Lock and restoration of Cybertron.... at least this is achievable in terms of what they are willing/able to animate, as compared to coming up with a veritable army of Predacons.
    - Soundwave speaks.
    - The little horror movie homage when Soundwave approaches Ratchet
    - More gorgeous animation, e.g. the shot of Nemesis in orbit.

Cons:
    - Laserbeak owning 3 Autobots like they're all amateurs. Yes he had the element of surprise, but hey!
    - Fowler using a fire extinguisher and nicely announcing himself with a yell as he hopelessly goes in to, urrr, stub Soundwave's toe. I guess you may consider this a positive point if it was meant to be comedy, but the context seem to suggest they were being serious!! I mean, really??

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    As for why the toy doesn't have mini-guns... my guess is that the addition of mini-guns was a later feature to the character's animation model. Remember that it takes a jolly long time for Hasbro/TakaraTOMY to develop and produce a toy, and at the time they were doing it they would have been relying on whatever the most current incarnation of the animation model was available at the time.
    Yep, agreed... especially when considering toys are released ahead of the episodes being aired (well, BH ones anyway - RiD came out after season one began). Take a look at how different the accessory set for the Voyager vs Ultimate versions of BH Prime is.... Ae-Evolution could ask the question the other way around just as well, i.e. why doesn't the cartoon show missile launchers and a giant rotating tea dispenser on his back?? OK, so maybe this is some of the foreshadowed Beast relic weaponry, which I now very much doubt we will see in animation.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Or maybe you can find another gatling/mini-gun weapon that has a 5mm post (I can't think of any off hand)
    How about the one that comes with iGear Cogz!!? Har har har...
    Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Upcoming: SS Voyager OP, Megs, Brawl & Ironhide!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Perth WAtch - YouTube - Sharing my passion for watches & horology
    Perth TransFan - YouTube - Sharing my interest in all things Transformers!

I don't get it either, it's a review topic, so of course it's going to have spoilers.

Seriously, does anyone read reviews of anything, expecting not to be spoiled? And if so, why are you reading a review?

News and Review sections are where you can reveal anything you want, in its own relevant topic.
    Spoiler warnings are only required in other sections.

How come Predaking (and the Autobots in a Season 1 episode) freeze up when in the snow before, but this time they are in the Antarctic (which should be the coldest place) no one freezes up at all, even after being exposed to the cold for quite some time.

So Soundwave finally speaks (with Frank Welker doing it), and Bumblebee is hinted at wanting his voice back... hopefully that comes true and that "gimmick" of Bumblebees being mute can finally end, FOREVER.

This episode sets up a good prelude to a showdown between megs vs optimus vs predaking on cybertron. Least that's how i see it going.

Soundwave's line made my week.

That smiley face and the Autobots' reaction, awesome. Soundwave is superior

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Seriously, does anyone read reviews of anything, expecting not to be spoiled? And if so, why are you reading a review?
    Couldn't have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I don't get it either, it's a review topic, so of course it's going to have spoilers.

News and Review sections are where you can reveal anything you want, in its own relevant topic.
    Spoiler warnings are only required in other sections.
    I sometimes click-in to see if theres a link to a stream of the episode rather than hunting it down myself. So omission of spoilers is always appreciated for the first post, I don't go reading the rest of the topic.

Aside from the humour/fanservice this episode was a little predicatable.