Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classics/Universe canon

Default Classics/Universe canon

In the Universe Armada Mini-Cons thread there was a discussion about which continuity the Universe Armada Mini-Cons belong to. Hasbro has marketed them as being "Transformers Universe: Armada Series." So which is it? Do they belong to Universe continuity (i.e.: continuation from Beast Machines), Armadaverse continuity or Classics continuity (i.e. Timelines continuity) -- which is it?

I would actually say that they are part of the Armadaverse continuity.

Here's the thing...
    1/ Classics itself isn't a single contained continuity. When people (myself included) refer to Classics continuity, we're really talking about the appearance of Classics in the Timelines continuity (Games of Deception) - which is an alternate continuation from G1 (and negating G2).
    2/ Not all Classics characters belong to the Timelines continuity. e.g.: Classics Jetfire is part of the IDW mainline G1 continuity.

H'okay - so far we've seen that there are at least two different continuities where Classics Transformers belong to. But wait, there's more! In All Hail Megatron, aside from the canonical debut of the Masterpiece Seekers, we also see two "Classics 2.0" Universe toys in it as well! Namely Prowl and Sunstreaker.

Prowl

Sunstreaker

Neat, huh?

So basically, there is no "Classics/Universe" continuity, but rather Classics/Universe characters get slotted into different continuities such as IDW-G1, Timelines, All Hail Megatron - and yes, even Armada (in the case of the aforementioned Mini-Cons)... and there may be Classics/Universe characters appearing in other continuities in the future (who knows).

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

To me , Minicons were born & flourished in the Armada Era. Minicons were "Armada's Thing"...

So even though Hasbro wants to rename these Minicons underneath the Universe Banner, It doesn't necessarily mean that we have to as well.

So therefore to me , Universe Minicons = Armada Minicons

But whether or not I'd consider picking up this upcoming Minicon 12-pack, the answer would have to be "no". If a Minicon isn't translucent (eg. the Cyb Shadow Recon Team), then I'm really not interested in it...

(I can feel the flames burning... )

Well, if the packaging says Universe-ARmada

obviously they were pulled into the 'Universe' universe by Unicron, pulled from the Armada universe like the Autobot Smokescreen- see Universe comics #1

As for the Classics/Universe:

Classics is different from Universe, remember, 'Universe', no matter which year, is still Universe.

It does seem that the 'Classics' minicons only belong to the Timelines Classics comic and the rest of the 'regular' G1 characters can be slotted as representing said characters in any G1 continuity they appeared in (Marvel, Sunbow, IDW, DW, etc).

Basically, Classics are modern takes on G1 characters despite continuity so they belong to all of G1.

Pulse: as kup pointed out not all Mini-Cons belong to the Armadaverse continuity - for example the Classics Mini-Cons are not part of Armadaverse but part of the Timelines/Games of Deception continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by roller
    Well, if the packaging says Universe-ARmada

obviously they were pulled into the 'Universe' universe by Unicron, pulled from the Armada universe like the Autobot Smokescreen- see Universe comics #1
    But Universe Prowl and Sunstreaker appear in the All Hail Megatron universe which appears to be utterly unrelated to the Universe universe.

And if they're calling these Mini-Cons "Universe: Armada" I don't see why they couldn't have called Classics 2.0 "Universe: Classics." Just another reason why I don't like Hasbro's decision to collectively lump everything into this new "Universe" banner. (-_-)

Two universes... same freakin' name. (<_<) (>_>)

Calling the Classics Minicons 'Armada' proves that Hasbro either doesn't care or does not understand its own product line.

Minicon does NOT automatically mean Armada since they have appeared in other continuities since. If they wanted to tribute Armada in some way within Universe, then why didn't they use actual Armada minicon characters??

One of the things that motivate me to ignore the Universe Classics and go straight into Henkei aside from the quality is that Henkei are actually considering its releases as a single line not a 'one fits all' line which Hasbro was destined to screw up.

Hell, they couldn't handle a single continuity line without introducing stupid crap like 'Prowl 2' so how are they going to cope with a multi-continuity line such as Universe without screwing it up is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

But Universe Prowl and Sunstreaker appear in the All Hail Megatron universe which appears to be utterly unrelated to the Universe universe.

And if they're calling these Mini-Cons "Universe: Armada" I don't see why they couldn't have called Classics 2.0 "Universe: Classics." Just another reason why I don't like Hasbro's decision to collectively lump everything into this new "Universe" banner. (-_-)

Two universes... same freakin' name. (<_<) (>_>)
    Prowl and Sunny appear in all heil megatron because the comic people or Hasbro couldnt be bothered to think up a new character design, or to give exposure to a new toy to entice readers to buy the toy.

I like to think they are 1 universe, they do have the same name.

They may have the same name, but they're clearly NOT the same continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    They may have the same name, but they're clearly NOT the same continuity.
    Agreed, they certainly are not the same Universe. Hasbro at Botcon have officially said so too so if you consider them as such, its by your own choosing.

This is just all too confusing for me. The limited supply of neurons inside my head cannot cope with all this information.

-- Initiate shutdown --