Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what to do with the scalpers?

sellers need to maintain good communications to keep a good feedback rating.

if fifty people sent 1 message each to a seller that was in some way a legitimate question the seller would at least have to read them, and respond to some.

that's easily an hour of time for one person and a mere minute or two for everyone else.
    look at it like a rundown play (in baseball) 3 fielders put in some effort and the runner puts in all the opposing effort.

If the Transformers online community banded together and all got involved, certain eBay accounts would literally block up.

but thanks for your support.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

If we look at the current US retail price at being $138.xx (as I heard, possibly including sales tax?), so $140 for easy maths, at $185, it's not an insane markup (32%).

Keep in mind that it's better than a lot of places (Robot Kingdom has it at $199), and further, there's a lot of places globally that don't have any news of this coming to them locally. If TRU are unable or unwilling to ship internationally (and after the bullshit I went through with their piss-poor partner i-Parcel, I know I'll never try and buy internationally from TRU again), then what options do they have? Not everyone who wants want has the time to devote to a message board and would quite frankly pay the difference these guys are selling it for.

Frustrating? Yes. But it's coming out in Australia later this year, and the option to wait is there.

Put it this way, if I wasn't a part of this board, I might pick up one or two extra to make a bit of profit on and lower my costs. That being said, as I am a part of this board, if I hear or see anything, I'll throw it up here and try to help.

Add to that, correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't communication ratings only matter if its between the seller and the buyer?

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    If we look at the current US retail price at being $138.xx (as I heard, possibly including sales tax?), so $140 for easy maths, at $185, it's not an insane markup (32%).
    If he listed them at a 10% profit and had a few it wouldn't be so bad but the listing states "over 10" availble and his picture shows 18 boxes, he's cleaned out at least one store to have stock like that. so the people who live in his area and wanted one, either have to go elsewhere or buy them off him.

Keep in mind that it's better than a lot of places (Robot Kingdom has it at $199), and further, there's a lot of places globally that don't have any news of this coming to them locally. If TRU are unable or unwilling to ship internationally (and after the bullshit I went through with their piss-poor partner i-Parcel, I know I'll never try and buy internationally from TRU again), then what options do they have? Not everyone who wants want has the time to devote to a message board and would quite frankly pay the difference these guys are selling it for.
    RK are a retailer, they have purchased from hasbro and can list at whatever price they choose, if they think they can make more off of one item that's their business choice, it helps offset the items they have that they have to discount to 50% to get out of their warehouse.

Frustrating? Yes. But it's coming out in Australia later this year, and the option to wait is there.
    This isn't about soundwave so much as blatant scalping of high demand transformers product. it's too late to curb scalpers in the US on this one but that doesn't mean we can't make their eBay life entirely frustrating.

Put it this way, if I wasn't a part of this board, I might pick up one or two extra to make a bit of profit on and lower my costs. That being said, as I am a part of this board, if I hear or see anything, I'll throw it up here and try to help.

Add to that, correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't communication ratings only matter if its between the seller and the buyer?
    If you contacted a seller legitimately and he never answered you, would you buy the item or go to another seller with the same item?
    look at the numbers i've posted in this thread they don't quite apply here, we only have 1400 members 250 of which are active. but between all of the transformers fan sites, those numbers would apply in even larger values. If you were only scalping 2 different products and not selling anything else you probably wouldn't care, but if you are legitimately selling other items or in general at least supplementing an income with eBay, you couldn't afford a backlog in your messages folder.

communication ratings also relate back to listing discounts that sellers get from eBay, if they aren't excellent listings tend to cost them a lot more money. at least that's how I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    If he listed them at a 10% profit and had a few it wouldn't be so bad but the listing states "over 10" availble and his picture shows 18 boxes, he's cleaned out at least one store to have stock like that. so the people who live in his area and wanted one, either have to go elsewhere or buy them off him.
    And what's to say that he isn't making profit off this for something else he has run at a loss?

RK are a retailer, they have purchased from hasbro and can list at whatever price they choose, if they think they can make more off of one item that's their business choice, it helps offset the items they have that they have to discount to 50% to get out of their warehouse.
    See my comment above. Further, isn't it a Toys R Us exclusive? If so, how are Robot Kingdom being supplied direct through Hasbro at the same time as the US stock drop?

If you contacted a seller legitimately and he never answered you, would you buy the item or go to another seller with the same item?
    Well, the majority of eBay purchases I make require little communication. If I was looking at this listing, I don't think there are any questions that I need answering, at least prior to purchase. Sure, you might find that he loses some sales from ignoring questions, but how many legitimate buyers have questions for him that aren't in his listing?

communication ratings also relate back to listing discounts that sellers get from eBay, if they aren't excellent listings tend to cost them a lot more money. at least that's how I understand it.
    I can't say I'm aware of this, so I'll take your word on it.

While we can't eliminate scalping altogether, i believe as a unit we can deter, even if it's just that small percentage of opportunistic scalpers with effective communication. We all want a Soundwave, that much is obvious, but what are we doing about it in the meantime? Ultra Marginal has started a thread assisting those in remote locations, or those unable to make the necessary trip to TRU. And i've had a request to assist myself, which i'll do my best to fulfill.
    And the rest of us in suburbia? Start communicating now with those you regularly socialize with or even those you are friends with within your state. If i know that a board member is after a particular item and i see it on the shelves i'm more than willing to assist, and vice versa. If we can help each other internally, that'll ensure that our members at least are paying fair prices.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    Ahh, but what in what way COULD you make it irritatingly difficult for scalpels? If you choose not to buy, others surely will - but if you buy yourself, you're fueling the scalping. It has always seemed like an intractable problem..... But if you come up with an idea or two, I'd be glad to help put it into practice.
    Scalpels can get irritated?

Back on point, it seems ok but it might get out of hand really quickly.

Just don't buy and encourage others to do the same. Eventually they'll just lose money.

But unfortunately, every so often, Mr Hugewallet McSpendheapsofpointlessmoneyman comes along and spends $300-$400 that sold for $150 a year ago or something else like that...

I agree with Millhouse as to how come robot kingdom can retail them when it clearly says toys r us exclusive.
    I did check with my suppliers and contacts and hasbro did not give them the option of buying these at all.

And is robot kingdom the only retailer besides toys r us selling these?

My intention of starting this thread was to provide a place for Scalpers to be called out and then for people to work together as a global community to make life a little harder for Scalpers.

it wasn't intended to be a discussion. there have already been plenty of those.

Helping with an endeavor generally doesn't include listing all the ways it can go wrong or not work.
    I see so many people in various places angry about scalpers, I was providing a tool that could be more effective and proactive than watching other deperate people spend their hard earned cash.

If I didn't explain myself I apologise.

A first submission

have at him
    All that aside, this seller is clearly a wanker. Seriously, 18? WTF?

have you not read the first post? I'll bold the bit that's specific to my plan for world domination.
    Ahh, that makes SO much more sense now. Just being a little too subtle for a long work day. Bold makes everything BOLDER
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!