Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (AUG-2013) Energon Era Toys - Reviews and Favourites

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    ^ hehe, your images look like you don't like Kicker at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Worst would be, Um, Fattimus Prime, without a doubt. Ugly, stupid combiner mode and expensive. I remember buying it and after opening it thinking:
    "I paid $100 for Power Pants and he has an awesome trailer packed full of self transforming sexiness. I paid $100 for fattimus and I get a Box to hold some crappy vehicles that looks stupid..."
    I got Grand Convoy... if I'm gonna have a weird looking Power Ranger Prime, it might as well be the one w/ the nicer colours.

Fortunately Energon wasn't the only game in town at the time in 2004. We also had:
    + Binaltech
    + Masterpiece/20th Anniversary ("MP")
    + G1 reissues
    + Smallest Transformers
    + Robot Masters
    + More eHobby TFs (including GoBots and Insecticlones)

Oh... something else that massively bugged me about Energon. Downshift. They made a toy that was CLEARLY a homage to G1 Wheeljack, but called it "Downshift"... on purpose - it was no accident or careless oversight, but a deliberate choice because someone at Hasbro felt that "Wheeljack" sounded evil cos it has the same suffix as "hijack" and "carjack," despite a wheeljack being a type of tool used to change car tyres. (-_-)

Energon gave me landmine easily one of my favorite transformers even to this day and I also really enjoyed divebomb his weapons made amazing play value . I enjoyed playing with the powerlynx autobots though I'll admit they were pretty lacking in a lot of aspects. I'm glad I bought Energon omega supreme but he's nothing fantastic either :s all in all I think Energon was definately sub par but not the bottom of the barrel ( for me that was cybertron)

Last night I was playing w/ my Energon Hot Shot, and this morning I was playing w/ Super Link Roadbuster; it reminded me of how Takara really did put in a better effort w/ making the Super Link toys look nicer than their Energon counterparts. Aside from a better choice of colours, some Super Link toys tend to use metallic coloured plastic instead of the more flat coloured plastic by Hasbro. It really does significantly improve the look of the toy IMHO, although it doesn't hide the weaknesses of the moulds. Super Link Ironhide is still just as bad a toy as Energon Ironhide; he's just a nicer look bad toy.

Here's some pics for comparison:
    EN Hot Shot | SL Hot Shot
    Ironhide | Roadbuster <---Roadbuster has the electronic sound gimmick removed though (but I'd personally sacrifice that for a better looking toy)
    Optimus Prime | Grand Convoy <---Tak version also no elec. light gimmick (I sold off my Energon OP shortly after getting Grand Convoy )
    Downshift | Wheeljack (alas, I don't have Wheeljack )

When it comes to Energon toys, the Decepticons win by a huge margin. I do really like the two Autobot Jet combiner limbs though, but my faves are all 'Cons: Scorponok, Mirage and Slugslinger.

Tetsuwan Convoy mentioned it, but I think it needs to be repeated: Energon gave us an Arcee toy after years of waiting. Sure there was that limited BotCon Arcee, and the Energon toy was a bike, but it had her face and colours and it's an example of what Energon is most notable for.

This was when, for good or bad, the trend for G1 homages in new toy lines became commonplace. This is when it went beyond the random reuse of names in Armada, to having toys that were modern incarnations of the original characters. Toys like Shockblast, Scorponok, Arcee, Rodimus, Downshift, Galvatron, Grimlock, and Swoop, were really the prototype for what would eventually become the Classicverse.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Oh... something else that massively bugged me about Energon. Downshift. They made a toy that was CLEARLY a homage to G1 Wheeljack, but called it "Downshift"... on purpose - it was no accident or careless oversight, but a deliberate choice because someone at Hasbro felt that "Wheeljack" sounded evil cos it has the same suffix as "hijack" and "carjack," despite a wheeljack being a type of tool used to change car tyres. (-_-)
    2004 Spychanger Wheeljack.?

He's referring to Aaron Archer, who didn't like the name Wheeljack for an Autobot, so avoided using it during the Unicron trilogy. Since he probably only was in charge of the main line and not the Spychangers, he probably didn't have any say in that one... or by 2004 he had heard enough complaints from fans to change his mind.

I just found the reasoning stated in the comment odd. There's a character named after an explosive device that maims & kills, but Wheeljack sounded evil and that's why it was avoided?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I just found the reasoning stated in the comment odd. There's a character named after an explosive device that maims & kills, but Wheeljack sounded evil and that's why it was avoided?
    Doesn't make sense to me either, but that was the official excuse.

What are your Best and Worst toys of this Era?
    Best: Omega Supreme, Rodimus, Slugslinger, Snowcat, Megatron
    Worst: Ironhide, Cruellock, Optimus Prime. Oh and Mirage, he's been stuck in a box in mid-transformation for two years

What was your first one, and when?

Think it was Starscream

What ones are you currently most looking for and why?

Pretty done with this era

Show us some pics of your collection of the ones you have.
    Like usual, I have my Cons' photographed but havent' got round to the bots yet - but here's a few of the shots I have