Couldn't find a thread so thought I'd start one

I used to read a lot more than I do these days. Now there are too many distractions competing for my time but I still do get to read some good books every now and then. Certain authors I make time to read when they release new stuff.

At the top of my list would be the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The first book of which is The Eye of the World. A fantastic series that I started in the late 90s when book seven came out and the last book in the series was released in January this year. I have re-read the series every time a new book is released and the last book is number 15. Fantastic story that in a lot of ways is similar to Lord of the Rings but at the same time is completely different and MUCH easier reading. I started re-reading in March to refresh my memory in preparation for the last book but am so far only up to book 4

Another great fantasy author is Terry Pratchett. Love his work too. Very witty and clever with some characters that make you grin whenever they appear in a chapter because you know something good is going to happen . Any of the stories pertaining to the city's Night Watch and their antics is just pure gold!

On the Australian front I highly recommend Matthew Reilly. He writes Action/Adventure stories (think somewhere between Indiana Jones and Mission Impossible) that are some of the most intense, fast paced books I have ever read. There is quite a bit of suspension of disbelief required but I always look forward to his releases. He has been compared to Michael Crichton but I personally think he is a lot better. The Jack West Jr Trilogy, starting with Seven Ancient Wonders, is my pick although none of his books are bad.

Alastair Reynolds is a Sci-Fi space opera writer of whom I enjoy all of his work. It can be a bit dark and broody and doesn't necessarily have a happy ending but is good because he bases his stories on where he realistically sees the human race of potentially being in 200, 500 or even 10,000 years time. Very cool stuff.

Anyway, that's all I can be bothered about for now. I will add more as I think of them and would appreciate others recommendation as well. I always struggle to find something good to read when I go to the library.