Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (SEPT-2013) Cybertron Era Toys - Reviews and Favourites

Default (SEPT-2013) Cybertron Era Toys - Reviews and Favourites

After the high of Armada, and the low of Energon, the third chapter in the "Unicron Trilogy" was Cybertron... which ended up being between the two in terms of popularity, but probably would have done better as a stand-alone series. The Cybertron series went from mid 2005 to the end of 2006, just before the first of the Live-Action movie toys came out... which gave us the short-lived Classics series to fill the gap.
    In Japan, Cybertron was called Galaxy Force, and was indeed treated as a stand-alone series (until TakaraTomy tried to retcon it back into the Unicron Trilogy on their DVDs and in Kissplay).

Details of the Cybertron series can be read here.

The gimmick with Cybertron was hidden features, released by Cyber-Keys, similar to the Armada series having the toy features released by the Minicons.

The other gimmick, or theme, was having groups of characters/toys, in addition to the two allegiances. These groups were designated by Planet, depending on where they were from, or what theme their alt-mode was...
    Earth
    Speed Planet
    Jungle Planet
    Giant Planet
    Planet X
    Cybertron

Some standouts in the Cybertron toyline...
    - This series gave us our first mass-released Primus toy, that actually transformed into a sphere (the Planet Cybertron), as advances in Transformers engineering had finally made it possible (noting past efforts with various Unicron toys and prototypes).
    - Thundercracker was not a mere redeco of Starscream. It had its own mould. Unfortunately for Skywarp, he was still just a redeco of Thundercracker.
    - The Legends class was introduced, as a way for kids (and budgeting parents) could get the more significant characters for just a few dollars. The success of this concept has seen it continue to this day, with Legends and Cyberverse toys.
    - We still had Minicons... good or bad... but it allowed Hasbro to keep/renew their ownership of a lot of Generation 1 names. Unfortunately for old-time fans, it was a bit insulting to have classic names slapped onto tiny toys that didn't even homage them in any way (colour or form, or even allegiance).
    - A Soundwave with a launching Laserbeak, and a new Metroplex, both of which were homaging their classic counterparts.
    - We also had some creative characters tagged to the toys, which showed that people at Hasbro were starting to put more thought into the bios. Cannonball was a pirate, Hardtop was a comic collector, Brushguard was a fan of Scifi movies, Shortround collects toys, as a few examples. Plus several characters were noted as being relatives to each other (brothers, cousins, etc), but usually it was just to explain redecos looking similar.

After delayed starts of Armada and Energon in Australia, we had a premiere release of Cybertron toys at the same time as America. And on top of that, the Cybertron toyline holds the record as being the most completely released series in Australia, with just one out of the 104 regular release figures not making it here (Galaxy Force Optimus). In that respect, Cybertron ended up being our most successful line with retailers, as the turnover of stock must have been enough to warrant enough re-ordering for us to get almost every toy produced. No other mainline series before or after has had anywhere near that release rate in Australia.

Cybertron retail prices in Australia (AU$1 = US$0.72-0.75)
    Supreme - $90-150
    Super - $70-$100
    Ultra - $50-$60
    Voyager/Mega - $40-$50
    Deluxe - $24-$30
    Scout/Basic - $15-$18
    Mini-Con 2-packs - $10-13
    Legends - $6-8

July 2005 Assortment (Jun05-Aug05)
    CYBERTRON (1st wave) (19 packs)
    Starscream - Supreme Decepticon - released here August.
    Megatron - Leader/Super Decepticon - released here June.
    Optimus Prime - Leader/Super Autobot - released here June.
    Jetfire - Ultra Autobot - released here June.
    Scourge - Ultra Decepticon - released here June.
    Crumplezone - Voyager/Mega Decepticon - released here June.
    Vector Prime with Safeguard - Voyager/Mega Autobot - released here June.
    Dirt Boss - Deluxe Decepticon - released here June.
    Hot Shot - Deluxe Autobot - released here June.
    Landmine - Deluxe Autobot - released here June.
    Thundercracker - Deluxe Decepticon - released here June.
    *Override - Deluxe Autobot - released here September
    *Red Alert - Deluxe Autobot - released here September
    Overhaul - Scout/Basic Autobot - released here June.
    Ransack - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here June.
    Scattorshot - Scout/Basic Autobot - released here June.
    *Clocker - Scout/Basic Autobot - released here July.
    *Hardtop - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here July.
    *Recon Team (Jolt, Reverb, Six Speed) - Scout/Basic Mini-Con - released here July.
    LEGENDS / ALL STARS (1st wave) (4 packs)
    Hot Shot - Autobot - AUS Toyworld/BigW - released here June.
    Megatron - Decepticon - AUS Toyworld/BigW - released here June.
    Optimus Prime - Autobot - AUS Toyworld/BigW - released here June.
    Starscream - Decepticon - AUS Toyworld/BigW - released here June.

September 2005 Assortment (Aug05-Oct05)
    CYBERTRON (2nd wave) (6 packs)
    Dark Scorponok - Ultra Decepticon - released here September.
    Mudflap - Voyager/Mega Decepticon - released here October.
    Leobreaker - Voyager/Mega Autobot - released here October.
    Armorhide - Scout/Basic Autobot - released here September.
    Brakedown - Scout/Basic Autobot - released here September.
    Undermine - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here September.
    LEGENDS / ALL STARS (2nd wave) (4 packs)
    Evac - Autobot - AUS Toyworld/BigW - released here August.
    Jetfire - Autobot - AUS Toyworld/BigW - released here August.
    Leobreaker - Autobot - AUS Toyworld/BigW - released here August.
    Scourge - Decepticon - AUS Toyworld/BigW - released here August.

November 2005 Assortment (Oct05-Dec05)
    CYBERTRON (3rd wave) (21 packs)
    Galvatron - Super Decepticon - released here April.
    Cybertron Defense Red Alert - Ultra Autobot - released here December.
    Evac - Voyager/Mega Autobot - released here November.
    Sideways - Deluxe Auto/Dece - released here November.
    Snarl - Deluxe Autobot - released here November.
    Blurr - Deluxe Autobot - released here November.
    Buzzsaw - Deluxe Decepticon - released here November.
    Longrack - Deluxe Autobot - released here November.
    Runamuck - Deluxe Decepticon - released here November.
    *Brimstone - Deluxe Decepticon - released here September 06.
    *Crosswise - Deluxe Autobot - released here May.
    *Thunderblast - Deluxe Decepticon - released here May.
    Backstop - Scout/Basic Autobot - released here February
    Street Speed Team (Oval, Spiral, Backtrack) - Scout/Basic Mini-Con - released here February
    Wreckloose - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here February
    Brushguard - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here February
    *Swerve - Scout/Basic Autobot - released here February
    *Swindle - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here February
    Shockwave verses Tankor - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here January
    Razorclaw verses Steamhammer- Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here January
    Sky Lynx verses Thunderblast - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here January
    STORE EXCLUSIVES/SPECIALS
    Starscream and Vector Prime with Safeguard - 'Super' Decep and Auto - US TRU Excl - released here October - TRU $80.
    Dirt Boss with Downshift - Deluxe Decep with Minicon - US Walmart Excl - Not released here.
    Hot Shot with Mirage - Deluxe Auto with Minicon - US Walmart Excl - Not released here.
    Landmine with Dirt Boss - Deluxe Auto with Minicon - US Walmart Excl - Not released here.
    Thundercracker with Downshift - Deluxe Decep with Minicon - US Walmart Excl - Not released here.
    Red Alert with Dirt Boss - Deluxe Auto with Minicon - US Walmart Excl - Not released here.
    Override with Mirage - Deluxe Auto with Minicon - US Walmart Excl - Not released here.

February 2006 Assortment (Jan06-Mar06)
    CYBERTRON (4th wave) (9 packs)
    Cybertron Defense Scattorshot - Voyager/Mega Autobot - released here March
    Dark Crumplezone - Voyager/Mega Decepticon - released here March
    Cybertron Defense Hot Shot - Deluxe Autobot - released here March
    Downshift - Deluxe Autobot - released here March
    Lugnutz - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here March
    Scrapmetal (red) - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here March
    Scattorbrain verses Monocle - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here January
    Payload verses Ascentor - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here January
    Kobushi verses Landslide - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here January
    Hot Shot and Override (Drag Race pack) - 2xDeluxe Auto - US Target Excl - released here March (not excl) $30.
    Red Alert Vs Sideways (Critical Path pack) - 2xDeluxe Auto Vs Decep - US Target Excl - released here March (not excl) $30.
    Crosswise Vs Thundercracker (Ground to Air Blast pack) - 2xDeluxe Auto Vs Decep - US Target Excl - released here March (not excl) $30.

April 2006 Assortment (Mar06-May06)
    CYBERTRON (5th wave) (13 packs)
    Skyshadow - Ultra Decepticon - released here April.
    Wing Saber - Ultra Autobot - released here April.
    Soundwave with Laserbeak - Voyager/Mega Decepticon - released here May.
    *Nemesis Breaker - Voyager/Mega Decepticon - released here June.
    Excellion - Deluxe Autobot - released here May.
    Override GTS - Deluxe Autobot - released here May.
    *Cannonball - Deluxe Decepticon - released here May.
    *Skywarp - Deluxe Decepticon - released here May.
    Repugnus - Scout/Basic Autobot - released here May.
    Shortround - Scout/Basic Decepticon- released here May.
    Ramjet verses Scythe - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here April.
    Sunstorm verses Checkpoint - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here April.
    Thrust verses Anti-Blaze - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here April.
    LEGENDS / ALL STARS (3rd wave) (4 packs)
    Cybertron Defense Red Alert - Autobot - released here May.
    Galvatron - Decepticon - released here May.
    Vector Prime - Autobot - released here May.
    Soundwave - Decepticon - released here May.

July 2006 Assortment (Jun06-Aug06)
    CYBERTRON (6th wave) (16 packs)
    Cybertron Primus - Supreme (Autobot) with Unicron head - released here July.
    Cybertron Primus - Supreme (Autobot) without Unicron head - Not released here.
    Metroplex with Drillbit - Super Autobot - released here June.
    *Galaxy Force Optimus Prime (recolour) - Super Autobot - Not released here.
    Menasor with Heavyload - Ultra Decepticon - released here June.
    Quickmix with Stripmine - Voyager/Mega Autobot - released here August
    Optimus Prime (Armada recolour) - Deluxe Autobot - released here July.
    Demolishor (Armada recolour) - Deluxe Decepticon - released here July.
    Unicron - Deluxe (Decepticon) - released here July.
    Giant Planet Minicon Team (Deepdive, Longarm, Overcast) - Scout/Basic Mini-Con - released here June.
    Ransack GTS - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here June.
    *Brakedown GTS - Scout/Basic Decepticon - released here August.
    *Scrapmetal (yellow)- Scout/Basic Autobot - released here August.
    Scrap Iron verses Grindor - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here June.
    Blastcharge verses Highwire - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here June.
    Backblast verses Sureshock - Decep Vs Auto Mini-Con Battle Pack - released here June.
    LEGENDS / ALL STARS (4th wave) (4 packs)
    Thundercracker - Decepticon - released here July.
    Hot Shot (red) - Autobot - released here July.
    Optimus Prime (recolour) - Autobot - released here July.
    Sunstorm - Decepticon - released here July.

September 2006 Assortment (Aug06-Oct06)
    CYBERTRON (7th wave) (7 packs)
    Cryo Scourge - Ultra Decepticon - released here November.
    Galaxy Force Vector Prime with Safeguard - Voyager/Mega Autobot - released here October.
    Optimus Prime - Deluxe Autobot - released here October.
    Megatron - Deluxe Decepticon - released here October.
    Smokescreen - Deluxe Autobot - released here October.
    Hightail - Basic/Scout Autobot - released here November.
    Shadow Recon Mini-Con Team (Jolt, Reverb, Six Speed) - Scout/Basic Mini-Con - released here November.
    Optimus Prime with Wingsaber - Super plus Ultra Autobot 2 pack - US Costco excl - Not released here.

November 2006 Assortment (Oct06-Dec06)
    Cybertron Primus - Supreme (Autobot) with bonus 4 Minicons - US Walmart - Not released here.
    Galaxy Force Optimus Prime with Brakedown - Super (Autobot) + Basic bonus pack - US Walmart - Not released here.
    Metroplex with Clocker - Super (Autobot) + Basic bonus pack - US Walmart - released here December.
    Megatron with Hardtop - Super (Decepticon) + Basic bonus pack - US Walmart - released here December.

What are your Best and Worst toys of this Era?

What was your first one, and when?

What ones are you currently most looking for and why?

Show us some pics of your collection of the ones you have.
    Last edited by griffin; 15th October 2013 at 01:01 AM.

I love this toy line. I really, really do. There are so many great new moulds. The cyber key gimmick didn't seem to get in the way like previous gimmicks (though it did hamper some figures). This was pretty much the last time we'll have a cast that isn't Op/Bee/Ratchet vs Megs/Starscream/Soundwave, too. Good mixture of vehicles and organic alt-modes.

The size classes were well thought out. There's really not a whole lot of "oh this would be better smaller/bigger" and that's a plus. Actually, here's one: Metroplex needed a better god damn "Sparkeater". It was awkward. At times, it felt like a line built around Voyagers rather than Deluxes.

Cybertron Defense Hot Shot is one of my all-time favourite toys. Not sure why, as he's pretty chunky, not the most articulation in the world and some of the Transformation steps make me worry about how long he will be around. He feels so solid and is packed with plenty of weapons. If you threw him at someone he'd come out on top.

Sideways has to be my pick for the Decepticon side of things. He's the opposite of Hot Shot. He's sleek, smooth, articulated like crazy... he's not solid, he's a little floppy, his weapons are unweildy. But I don't care.

Cryo!Scourge I preferred purely for the colour scheme.

I always wanted a Leader Optimus to repurpose as a Sentinel or someone, but never got around to it.

Love this toyline too. It gave us one of the most badass looking Optimus Primes, the first proper Soundwave homage and a whole bunch of alt-modes that weren't wholesomely tackled before (gunboat, cargo plane, motorbike, cement truck, batmobile )

The toyline really shone in the deluxe class. Voyagers were often hampered by sound-box gimmicks and the larger toys never really scaled up in detail or complexity (often they were simpler) a trend that would continue into the Universe 2.0 line.

I also like the sheer variety of alt-modes owing to the storyline. Earth vehicles from Earth, Futuristic racers from Velocitron, Beasts from Jungle Planet, Construction vehicles from Gigantion and spacecraft from Planet X.

One of my few gripes with Cybertron is that they never did Starscream properly as a toy. The War Within inspired design was awesome however the deluxe toy was very limited due to it's size and the Supreme class toy really missed an opportunity to be something of legend such as Fort Max or Unicron.

I actually bought received each of these packs as a kid.

Hot Shot and Override (Drag Race pack) - 2xDeluxe Auto - US Target Excl - released here March (not excl) $30.
    Red Alert Vs Sideways (Critical Path pack) - 2xDeluxe Auto Vs Decep - US Target Excl - released here March (not excl) $30.
    Crosswise Vs Thundercracker (Ground to Air Blast pack) - 2xDeluxe Auto Vs Decep - US Target Excl - released here March (not excl) $30.

They were all only available at Myer for $35 a set from if my memory serves me right. The toy range was sweet, at least 25% of my collection is Cybertron figures, and yet my collection is still missing vital figures to make a proper set.

The Cybertron designs were pretty good and their influence persisted over Classicsverse for many years showing they were on to a good thing.

Most of my favourites turn out to be Earth toys:
    Leader Optimus Prime
    Evac
    Cyb Def Hot Shot
    Excellion (this colour scheme helps make the toy a winner)
    Longrack (yeah he's an Armada toy but the homage head and colour scheme really work great)
    Sideways

I also really like Minicon Laserbeak and Primus was as a planet former a better design than Unicron (just not as iconic).

The Legends concept of releasing cheap small versions of all the main characters was an interesting idea that has lived on quite successfully.

I don't like the Beast planet toys at all, and I thought Giant planet toys weren't great.

The toys were an improvement over Energon and Armada but some were still compromised by the Cyberkey gimmick (and creating a jarring block of plastic with a slot in the figure). Personally, the stand outs were the Legends toys, they were extremely well done for the small size. They often mimicked the larger figures very well. They were decent in size too, almost as big as today's Commanders (but I think they aren't as heavy or bulky). Voyager Starscream, Evac and Leader Megatron were amongst the best figures in the line.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

Great toys and my third favourite line.

Personal recommendations,
    Leader Optimus - Awesome awesome figure. Looks great all powered up.
    Primus - It's cybertron!!!!!
    Vector prime - I just love his clockwork look and overall aesthetics of this guy just scream ancient Cybertron. He has a very nice sword and it's integrated into his vehicle mode very well indeed.
    Starscream - nice good toy that looks like his G1 Cybertronian mode. I am talking about the voyager sized one not the massive stupid one. That one was oversized and crap looking.
    Megatron - Nice Unicron homage in the shoulders and nice sleek car mode. Good posability in robot mode too!
    Vanguard Hotshot - Still looks like hotshot, but is a heavy vehicle. Weapons up the whazzooo and good looking robot.
    Tanks mode Unicron. Just um because.

Oh man there are soo many. I am going to stop now

I only grabbed a few and unfortunately don't have any of them anymore. My niece got hold of them and they didn't win

But my favourite was definately Optimus. A very fun figure that oozed playability.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Megatron Guest

It's kinda hard to review toys when they're kept MISB... lol. Oh well.

The leader Megs looks nice but I don't have him yet.

Voyager Soundwave looks good, too (both as MISB and loose ). Love my MISB Supreme Starscream...

I love the little scout class ones - great playability. Yes, I actually opened a couple of them as I had doubles (Optimus and Hot Shot). I can't find my Hot Shot anywhere, though. He's lost, poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    But my favourite was definately Optimus. A very fun figure that oozed playability.
    I have a MISB one for trade if anyone's interested...

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Tanks mode Unicron. Just um because.
    Totally forgot this existed, and I own two of them

It's was(?) the most 'playable' Unicron as it was a deluxe size and had decent poseability. Whereas the Armada/Energon Unicron was your 'scale' Unicron which you can't really do a lot with. I say was because I have no idea what the recent TF Prime Gaia Unicron is like.

Love this toy's alien appearance, transformation and gimmickry