Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SH*T!!! (insert Profanity)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Doesn't the U.S. have a different voltage from Australia? If so you may need to use a transformer (step-up/down). If you were using a transformer and it still blew on you then you might need to see if there's something faulty with the transformer or if it was the actual charger itself that buggered up on you. Hope things work out either way. :/
    Yep 110V compared to 230-240V here.

Am much saddened by it still.

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Why? So long as you use a transformer everything should be sweet. As I said, if it is a voltage issue then it's either something faulty with the transformer or the appliance. Are either covered by warranty?

North America is 110V @ 60Hz. Many devices (e.g. computers) are world voltage 100-240 @ 50 or 60Hz and will auto-sense, thus typically only requiring a physical adapter to make the prongs match. If, however, you need to plug in a 110V only device into an EU/AU socket, you MUST get a voltage reducer or face the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    you MUST get a voltage reducer or face the consequences
    Awww, you skipped around using the word 'transformer' in a non-geeky way.

I already have faced the consequences. .. .. . Y'see - the CHARGER blew itself. white smoke and all. It will not power on even with a step down convertor.

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Were you already using a transformer when it blew up (and in some cases you may need to ensure that you have the transformer correctly set to step down 240-110V, some do it automatically while others need to be manually set)? Needless to say that if the charger is already fried using a transformer now would be useless.

If you were using a transformer correctly and it still blew up then I think it's either a fault with the transformer (i.e.: didn't convert the voltage) or the charger. But to me it sounds like a fault with the transformer.

LCZ, did the actual charger emit smoke? Or the power adapter for it? Or is it all the one & the same thing?

Default Ai'll Explain everything

Ms Fressange explained
    What we have here is TWO factors.
    a) Voltage
    b) Wattage

Most Transformers step down 240 to 100-110 Volts with ease. What many people (mostly Americans) forget is the wattage.
    A transformer is designed to safely transform a set amount (or lower) of wattage.
    common transformers can handle about 50w-100w (see the panel on the transformer for the Maximum wattage)

Common problems occur when you exceed the transformers wattage , Say by putting a hairdryer (1000w) into a small wattage (say 100w) transformers. What happen to both the device and the transformer I can't say.
    Is this any help?
    Autobots:119 Decepticons: 80
    Maximals:20 Predacons: 07
    Minicons:58 Unicron: 3
    Total:283