Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rung's Alt Mode (*MTMTE Spoilers and speculation for Dark Cybertron*)

It's interesting the reaction Rung has gotten as a character. Drift recieved so much anger, and so many 'He's not a G1 character, why are they putting him in a G1-based comic?! Why are they trying to shoehorn new characters in with so many cool ones already?!' reactions

Yet Rung, not a big sports-car-ninja-samurai-ex-con, but a little pyschiatrist that turns into bugger all, is universally loved. Don't get me wrong, I love Rung too, but I loved Drift as well and it's interesting to see the difference in popularity with others

The difference is Drift was introduced as this really awesome guy with really awesome swords and was really awesome at fighting and was just so cool that we just had to love him and buy his four issue miniseries and spotlight issue and complain anytime Drift wasn't in an issue by asking 'where's Drift'?

Rung meanwhile is such a weak (bright spark notwithstanding) loser that despite being around a really long time, most Transformers don't even know his name.

Rung earned the popularity with fans over time (which is still rather low overall) whereas we were basically told Drift was popular before he had the chance to earn it (which triggered the backlash).

From what I've seen of Rung and Drift, Rung looks to be more of what you'd call a "cult character", in that most fans probably don't have any significant favouritism in it like other classic characters, because it has just been a background character most of the time. But even background & backup characters get their brief moment in the spotlight, and it only takes a vocal minority to make it a bright spotlight when it happens.
    Drift on the other hand was someone new that the writers, IDW and Hasbro tried to shine the spotlight on all the time, right from his first appearance as if he were someone important like Optimus, at the expense of the story or other pre-existing characters that could have been utilised instead.

Drift wasn't "bad" per-se... but the execution of the character by all the parties behind the scenes, into the Ongoing IDW Transformers Universe at that time felt like trying to bang a square peg into a round hole. It didn't feel or look right, and took a lot of effort to get him into a role that still feels forced after all these years of him being in the comic.

Continuing this tangent.. Excusing my patchy knowledge but would you say Animated Lugnut is a character that fans embraced first and then Hasbro took notice and began to incorporate him more into Transformers lore. Rung isn't a WWII bomber but there is a similarity here.

Or was poor Lugnut just jammed in as a proof of continuity between the G1, Animated and movie series?
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Continuing this tangent.. Excusing my patchy knowledge but would you say Animated Lugnut is a character that fans embraced first and then Hasbro took notice and began to incorporate him more into Transformers lore. Rung isn't a WWII bomber but there is a similarity here.

Or was poor Lugnut just jammed in as a proof of continuity between the G1, Animated and movie series?
    A little from column A and a little from column B...

Plus Lugnut is just plain awesomesauce. Also he filled a role that was never filled by any other pre-existing G1 character, a blind and devout follower of Megatron who would do anything to appease him.

Only character who is in he same mold is BW Inferno.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post

Has Lugnut turned up in many other continuities?

The most I can think of is that he got a Reveal the Shield toy, which is just a toyline, and he was in a group scene of Decepticons in the Spotlight: Trailcutter comic. But then so was the Animated version of Blitzwing, just with a different face, so I'm not sure if that counts as being jammed into other TF genre's - more just filling out the ranks.

But then maybe there are some other appearances I am not aware of?

I dont see Lugnut's appeal, but each to their own.
    The most he accomplished was probably getting shot in the head during the battle of Autobot city (in box comic included in the Rodimus vs Cyclonus two pack) Pfft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I dont see Lugnut's appeal, but each to their own.
    The most he accomplished was probably getting shot in the head during the battle of Autobot city (in box comic included in the Rodimus vs Cyclonus two pack) Pfft.
    Really? I have that comic somewhere - will have to check it out (if I can ever find it).

Just remembered Lugnut has a Kreon figure as well. You'd think since I only got it 6 months ago I would have remembered that

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Really? I have that comic somewhere - will have to check it out (if I can ever find it).

Just remembered Lugnut has a Kreon figure as well. You'd think since I only got it 6 months ago I would have remembered that
    He's in it for one panel, IIRC
    Apart from what has already been metioned, he was also featured in the Animated continuity

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    He's in it for one panel, IIRC
    Apart from what has already been metioned, he was also featured in the Animated continuity
    I did like him in the Animated continuity, his worshipful, fanatical devotion to Megatron would have made him a good candidate for DJD membership