Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920

Thread: Hobby Link Japan (HLJ) feedback

I had a DHL package come from HLJ about a week ago and they quoted a two week wait but it arrived in three days. They seem to still be doing okay sometimes at least.

I wanted to get some Zoids kits from HLJ and ordered 2 that said were on backorder. 1 arrived and was placed in my private warehouse 2 days later.

The shipping cost with the first wasn't too bad but didn't know how much both shipped would cost so decided to compare the shipping cost with an in-stock that was roughly the same weight as both orders combined. Sadly, the cheapest option was 162 with DHL and I don't think I'm prepared to pay that.

I cancelled the backordered item and have asked to cancel/return the private warehouse one.

Has anyone been able to successfully cancel an item in their private warehouse before?

I noticed the site says something about 10 days since payment request, you'll get 100% back and it's now day 4 since I was charged.

Any help would be appreciated.

It could have been an error, or just the size of the 2 together being to much. I sometimes have 10 different things in my warehouse, and chop and change working out the best shipping combination. Sometimes seperate is cheaper

But with Covid still affecting flights, the limit in PW is gone and you could have just held them till the cost comes down

I haven't had problems cancelling with hlj. But it's NOT something you want to make a habit of.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Oh ok. I saw the 60 days and then 10 days for a full refund and somewhat panicked. The item in my private warehouse could be shipped by Air small packet for 30ish but the no tracking scares me a bit.

Ok, that's good. I understand, saw something about account being suspended/deleted.

I'll probably try them again once shipping options open up.

Thanks Krayt and Tober.

Have been advised to try and use a freight forwarder. Emailed HLJ stating that if they're happy for it to be shipped to the forwarder, then I'd like to keep my order, otherwise I'd prefer getting a refund.

So here's something that I think I have learned (unless someone can inform me I'm wrong) about payments to HLJ:

A long time ago I had set up someone else's PayPal account to my HLJ account (with permission of course) and forgot about it. So I bought something and wondered how I never got charged. Then I realised the old setup. The thing I bought was charged via that person's PayPal and they got the usual PayPal receipt with HLJ on it, and the JPY and AUD amounts, and the applied exchange rate. So, I went into my HLJ account and updated the Payment Method to PayPal (choosing the PayPal option and then Update Payment) and I left the Payment Currency as AUD. This opened a PayPal window for me to add an automatic biller to my PayPal account. What I didn't grasp was that the automatic biller was With Reach (Australia) Pty Ltd, and not HLJ directly. So when I bought something else next, I was surprised to see I had paid about $5 more than I expected (given the exchange rate from the previous purchase), that I didn't get the usual PayPal receipt showing me the exchange rate applied, and also that the biller was With Reach. So I went back into my HLJ account and updated the Payment Method again to PayPal but chose Payment Currency as JPY. Then, checking my PayPal account, the automatic biller showed HLJ. I then cancelled the With Reach biller.

So, I believe the moral of the story is to NOT choose AUD as the currency in your HLJ account setup, or payment goes via With Reach (through PayPal), which charges a poorer exchange rate or has some extra fee and there is no way to know how much extra you'll pay, or even how the extra was calculated. Instead choose JPY as the Payment Currency.

Also, since my items are ready, has anyone used Airmail Small Packet recently, now that Japan Post is back to normal? How long is it taking (to Perth)?

I got my Missing Link C-01 and C-02 Optimus Primes from HLJ. Perfectly packed as usual - sturdy HLJ brand box and contents shrink wrapped onto a cardboard base that fits snugly onto the box base to stop rolling around inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Also, since my items are ready, has anyone used Airmail Small Packet recently, now that Japan Post is back to normal? How long is it taking (to Perth)?
    It takes about 2 weeks, Skyfire .

Actually, this time I used a new option, which was the cheapest - ECMS Express. It took 11 days from the Thursday that the carrier collects from HLJ (every Thurs). It was tracked, but the Australia stage was not tracked well. It was tracked through customs and Sydney arrival but then the ECMS website stated, "Shipment is tendering to third party carrier for final delivery", which meant handing over to Aus Post. But it wasn't clear what the Aus Post tracking number was, so I used the "Delivery ID", not the "Tracking ID", and that was correct. But Aus Post and ECMS sites didn't didn't inform me about it leaving Sydney. Next thing I knew the parcel was in Perth and for delivery the next day. I was a bit worried for a week wondering when it was going to leave Sydney.

Anyway, ECMS worked in the end.